I used a pattern that I found on line. It had large triangle template pieces in the center and then half log cabin triangles around the edges. I started this with 4 or 5 fabrics that looked very different colours in the store but when I pieced them together, they blended together so that the pattern was lost. So I had to go back and get different fabrics and start over. This time I made sure that the fabrics were very different in colour and design. Trying to put the backing and batting on was a challenge as my template must have been slightly out , so I had to take in some seams to make the top lay flat without overlapping. The binding was a challenge as there are so many corners to go around.
I love the finished product but very much doubt if I will attempt this pattern again. Also our tree was so huge this year that the skirt looked too small and the hole in the middle was too small to go around the stand and kept falling into the water in the base. I will have to make another skirt for next Christmas but this one would work great for an artificial tree.