I decided to see how many different purple fabrics I could find and use in a quilt. I lost track but I know there are over a hundred different fabrics in this queen-size quilt top ranging from batiks to large-scale prints and everything in between. I did make strip sets so there is some repetition in the quilt, and I had problems finding enough lights as I seemed to gravitate to darks and mediums. I ended up using some fabrics as both light and dark values depending on where they were placed in the quilt. This quilt wasn't exactly planned... I just kept sewing 2" strips together and then combined the strip sets at the end in whatever looked right, which is why in at least one place, there is a mistake 'cause I have the same medium fabric next to itself, used once as a light (combined with a dark fabric) and once as a dark (combined with a light fabric). It was supposed to be a 9-patch quilt - at least that was the original plan, but I think it ended up being more a postage-stamp quilt, GRIN.
When I planned the border, I originally was going to use the 3 shades of purple (light lavender, medium purple, and the dark purple), but then I decided to pull out the green from some of the prints for a more contrast, and 'cause the bedroom walls are a light green color. So, I chose a solid green that matched the green in the pansy prints and used it as the "medium" value, so it ended up with a triple border in 2" widths. The green border really helped as 3 shades of purple was too much and overwhelmed the quilt.
I still need to quilt and bind this top. I found a beautiful wide backing fabric in ombre shades of purple. I plan to do very simple stich-in-the-ditch for the main part of the quilt and then do more detailed stitching in the border.
I think it turned out well for my first full-size quilt and no pattern.
Laurel in West Plains, MO Home of Gammill Quilting (a long-arm quilting machine is on my wish list)