This is my version of the "Back to School Project" from Quiltmaker. They called theirs "Dozens of Daisies". As you can see, my daisies acquired some hot pink butterflies among the lime green and hot pink daisies.
I have been collecting black and white fabrics for some years with no specific project in mind. When QM posted the pattern in grayscale, I really liked it. I went off to shop my stash and had an abundance of fabrics for choices. I wanted a really "black" black and a really "white" white--no undertones. When it came time to look through the stash for pinks, there wasn't much choice. So, off to the fabric store, and 24 fat quarters later, I waddled home. The "sour apple" green in the centers of the 9 patches was the remains of a running quarter yard, and there's a piece about the size of my hand left.
Piecing went quickly and the applique wasn't particularly difficult. Ah, but when it came time to quilt it! I hadn't realized when I started that the black fabrics would "suck" the color out of any thread I used. After struggling and throwing at least a spools-worth of thread on the floor, I realized I needed to use at least a double thread. The threads seen in the green stitching is actually two strands of Isocord in Sour Apple green and Erin green. The hot pink thread is Star thread.
I have decided there must be a better way to machine quilt (at home, without a long arm machine) than I have been using.
This quilt was donated to my local libarary where I am a Friend of the Library for their fund raising auction (on 10/23), so we will see what my efforts are worth.
The original block pattern is called Honey Bee.
10/24/11 This quilt sold in an "heirloom" package for $1,450.00. Was a good year for harvest.