This is truly my first quilt made for our daughter Julie's new and first daughter Mya. The background is made of 12 8" squares that my husband designed, cut and sewed! There is five pieces to each of them. He did a great too for someone like me who has never sewn. I did the border and binding. We even did the stitch in the ditch for each square. After all was finished we thought it looked rather plain so the butterflies were added. I brought them back to life from a photo of Julie's bedroom when she was younger that my husband designed and painted. That was a learning step for me...never add to the quilt in the detail as I did in the butterflies! It came out pretty good if I say so myself!