Ready, Set, Go!

rated by 0 users
This post has 44 Replies | 9 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,511
Sandy H. Posted: Tue, Aug 9 2011 7:24 PM

Ok, we are ready.   The guidelines and deadline are posted. 

If you want to use the ugly fabric that Karyn has, please send me a message via friends and I will send you 1/3 yd by mail.  I ask only that you please reimburse me for the postage by return mail.  If you wish to exchange with someone else or use your own ugly that is also fine.  The whole idea of this challenge is to look at fabrics from a different perspective and see different possibilites.

You can use any pattern you wish ... traditional or modern ... a published pattern or your own design.

And most important of all - Have Fun!

Southwest Florida

• Post Points: 110
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 62,640
Jacy replied on Tue, Aug 9 2011 9:51 PM

It seems silly to get someone else's ugly  fabric when I have plenty of my own (although Karyn's is definitely ugly!)

Here's one I'm thinking of using. I have had it for 9 - 10 years and It came from someone who was a quilter for 20 years, don't know how long she had it, but obviously she didn't use it either. It is a large print with boring, dull colors that I hate. 3 yards of it  is taking precious space and it needs to be used. Actually the photo makes it look a little brighter than it is.

Here's some other that are pretty ugly too, still deciding which one to use

• Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,457
Points 361,872
Kris replied on Tue, Aug 9 2011 10:22 PM

Jacy,

I think you've got some definite uglies there but I find the "Underwear Islands" quite interesting. Wherever did you find that?

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 62,640
Jacy replied on Tue, Aug 9 2011 10:53 PM

Kris:
I find the "Underwear Islands" quite interesting. Wherever did you find that?

All but the Circle one came from the same person, she definitely had some unique fabrics. I used some of the 'Underwear' one for Pajama pants for my teenage son, he love them and wore them out, unfortunately it didn't use all of it, about  a yard left. Maybe I should make some boxers for my 9yr old to use it up.

• Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 71
Points 3,740
Kim replied on Wed, Aug 10 2011 3:42 PM

It isn't really hideous, but it doesn't play nicely in my stash at all

Kim

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 286
Points 26,315

This is going to be a more serious challenge for me than I originally thought.  I have looked at everyone's "ugly" fabric and that Karyn has nicely offered to donate and I don't think any of them are that bad.  I see potential in each and every one of the fabrics posted.  Maybe it is just the illusion from being photographed.

I will dig in my stash and see if I can come up with something so that I can get started.  If not, I will have you send me some of Karyn's.

Hope that I am on the only one struggling with this.

Quilt on.  This will be fun!!

Darlene (WNY)

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,511
Sandy H. replied on Wed, Aug 10 2011 7:31 PM

Hmmmm, Jacy, you do have more than your share of uglies.  Although the circles are making a comeback.  I've seen a number of 60's mod fabrics lately.  I think any one of them would present quite a challenge. 

Good luck with whichever one you choose to use.

Southwest Florida

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,511
Sandy H. replied on Wed, Aug 10 2011 7:33 PM

Kim,

I don't think your fabric is especially ugly, but all that bright pink would present a challenge to work with.  I like pink, but that's just a little much!

Good luck with it.

Southwest Florida

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 105
Points 2,710

Jacy,

The dots are in now at least for those little dresses that the teenagers are wearing!  Wouldn't want a dress but could be kind of cool in a quilt!

Nancy P

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 88
Points 1,145

Here is my hideous fabric. It is simular to the one you guys have but a little different. I am hoping I can finish it in time. This will only my fourth ever made quilt.

Melinda

Melinda  Tacoma, Washington

• Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,511
Sandy H. replied on Sun, Aug 14 2011 4:39 PM

Melinda:
It is simular to the one you guys have but a little different

Melinda, I can't believe it!  This looks exactly like Karyn's ugly fabric.  I can't believe more than one person actually bought this fabric.  LOL 

Southwest Florida

• Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 88
Points 1,145

lol yeah after a better look at the picture of the fabric it is identical. I didn't buy the fabric it is one that came in a bag of different fabrics purchased at a thrift store. I can't believe someone actually bought it. I did put it with four other fabrics and honestly it doesn't look too bad. I got my blocks all made. Now just need to square them up and sew them together. My kids are gone for the week so hoping to finish it up this week. I have no other projects going on right now so was able to get to it today. Otherwise I would be lucky to complete it in time.

Melinda  Tacoma, Washington

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 62,640
Jacy replied on Mon, Aug 15 2011 3:34 PM

Melinda, that's great that you already got your blocks made. I have a plan figured out for mine, and a few squares cut but I'm trying to finish my current project first.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,511
Sandy H. replied on Mon, Aug 15 2011 6:29 PM

Melinda:
I got my blocks all made

Wow, Melinda, you are speedy!  I haven't even worked out a design yet.  Since you are using the "group" fabric, you probably should keep it under wraps for a little while until the rest of us have a chance to get started.  Wouldn't want anyone to steal your design! LOL

Southwest Florida

Page 1 of 3 (45 items) 123Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use