suggestions wanted for new UFO challenge

rated by 0 users
This post has 52 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,930
Marilyn B replied on Mon, May 24 2010 6:21 PM

WTG Nancy, lovely quilt, love the colours.  It looks like it must have taken forever to do those blocks, how did you keep them straight?

Paris, Ontario

• Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,828
Points 366,032
Kris replied on Mon, May 24 2010 6:58 PM

Nice job Nancy625. I like it.

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 33
Points 1,200
Nancy625 replied on Mon, May 24 2010 7:28 PM

I started it last summer when I declared war on scraps.   Its the second scrap quilt I finished since then.  Nancy

Not Ranked
Posts 33
Points 1,200
Nancy625 replied on Mon, May 24 2010 7:31 PM

Thank you.  I sewed scraps together then I trimed them to size.  Nancy

Not Ranked
Posts 33
Points 1,200
Nancy625 replied on Tue, May 25 2010 5:49 PM

Thank you.  I made it by sewing scraps together and cutting to the correct size.  Nancy

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Tue, May 25 2010 10:26 PM

Nancy

Very pretty quilt.  I love the way you used scraps.  Very nice.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 790
Points 20,040
Carol replied on Wed, May 26 2010 9:22 AM

Nancy - just love your quilt - it's my type and color both!  Scraps make a more beautiful, interesting quilt, IMO!!  Thanks for showing us the picture.  Carol L

Not Ranked
Posts 33
Points 1,200
Nancy625 replied on Wed, May 26 2010 12:16 PM

Thanks, Glad you liked the quilt.  i sorted what I considered my jewel tones into light and dark and worked from there.  Talk to you soon,  Nancy

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,399
Points 119,586
Patti replied on Mon, May 31 2010 9:10 AM

This is the last rough draft before posting the rules under 'pages' tomorrow.  So please give me any more suggestions you may have by the end of today.

Summer 2010 UFO Challenge

A UFO for this contest is defined as any incomplete sewing project that was EITHER started (at least some of the fabric cut) at least one year ago (prior to June 1, 2009) OR has not been worked on in the last six months (since Dec. 1, 2009). 

The UFO must be completed between June 1, 2010 and  Aug 31 to qualify for points.

All work must be done by the participant with 2 exceptions.  1) the quilt may be quilted by someone else,  2) blocks may come from a block exchange if the participant donated an equal number of blocks.

Participants must post a picture of the UFO prior to completion, and the completed project to receive points.   Individual sections will be set up for each participant in the media section.

Participants must be members of QCA.

Points assigned as follows:

Points for size: 0.5 points for each 10 inch square or 100 square inches.   (As such, a standard king would get about 56 points, queen 43, double 38 and twin 31.)  Using this formula will allow a fair distribution of points for all those whose quilts are not quite the standard sizes.  Same formula will be used for table runners, wall hangings. and other quilted objects.  

Points for quilting:  double points above for machine quilting, triple for hand quilting.  No points awarded for quilting done by someone other than the participant.

Points for other sewing items, such as bags, dolls, pillow cases, clothing.  Generally 5 to 10 points depending on complexity.

Points for embellishment: 5-50 points depending on how much and how elaborate.  Detailed description needed for awarding of points.  Handwork will be awarded more points than machine work.  Examples of embellishment include applique, embroidery, use of special threads or beads, dying or painting of fabric by the participant, manipulation of the fabric to create 3 dimensional effect, fancy stitches. 

Points tallied weekly.  If a participant objects to the amount of points awarded, please let me know and I will review the decision with another experienced quilter, then the decision from that review will be final.  I don't know everything there is to know about quilting, so don't be afraid to question my decisions. 

Prizes: At least one prize of a $20 gift certificate to the quilting or fabric store of your choice.  Additional prizes may be added, if anyone wishes to contribute towards prizes please let me know.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 985
Points 17,309
Kathy D replied on Mon, May 31 2010 9:49 AM

Patti - Your rules look great and I hope the necessary motivation for me to get some stuff finished.

Kathy

Calgary, Alberta

"Friendship is like a rose...opening one petal at a time only as it unfolds...day by day does it reveal its true beauty"

• Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 962
Points 19,541

Patti:  Your rules are very concise.  Thank you!

A bed without a quilt is like a sky without stars.

Patty Mc  

Oregon & Arizona

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429

Can we include the projects we are currently working on at QCA?

North of Boston MA

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 122
Points 2,390

I'm in, though my list of UFO's is not nearly as impressive as some of the other participants. The fact that I PROMISED my DH that I would finish my UFO's before purchasing any more fabric (other than to finish UFOs) is motivation enough...that and I've promised one "bride" that I would deliver her wedding gift by her 5th wedding anniversary in July.

I'll count up an official tally later, but here is what I can remember:

• Wedding gift - Queen size quilt with applique motif - sandwiched and waiting for quilting
  • Wedding gift - Queen size Round the World that I can't figure out  what quilt pattern to use - sandwiched and waiting for me to decide how to quilt it
  • Baby quilt - started for our oldest son who turns 33 in August, top never finished
  • Personal, now intended for the oldest of the new grand daughters - Queen size Irish Chain that my mom convinced me needed to use a different color for the center "flower" and after frogging and re-stitching I discovered that I used "slightly" different 1/4" seams. Needs more frogging, currently in squares.
  • Various quilt squares made during classes or lessons that are sitting in a drawer hoping to see the light of day and a cozy bed (or table, or crib, or anything)

None of the various quilt squares have homes so I'm not certain they would qualify for UFO, but as they are at the bottom of my list, that can be decided at a later date.

The above list does not include WIPs that don't qualify under the rules (which I'm cool with, in case any one is concerned):  5 Twin-size quilt tops started in December & completed in January for grand children (3 of total 8 were actually finished and delivered, one on time, Christmas Day!); 1 twin-size quilt and 1 queen-size quilt started as part of MQ2 for one of the new grand daughters and for our own personal use (finally); 1  Twin-size BOM in progress for youngest of the new grand daughters.

I'll post pictures of the UFOs later.

Renton, WA

• Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 122
Points 2,390

Patti,

Thanks for volunteering to monitor this challenge (my husband thanks you too and wants to know if you enjoy Starbucks...he'd like to send you a Starbucks card which his favorite gift in the world, to show his appreciation).

I like the rules that you've laid out, they are concise, easy to understand and fair to all (IMHO of course).

I'm looking forward to the challenge.

Renton, WA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429

Diane Morgan:

Can we include the projects we are currently working on at QCA?

Right BEFORE I hit the sent button I said to myself....Self, that is a stupid question and don't look stupid asking it but the finger hit the button before I could stop it. What I was thinking of was the Boxy Stars but that's not an UFO, that's a work in progress.So disregard my stupid question.

North of Boston MA

• Post Points: 20
Page 3 of 4 (53 items) Prev1234Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use