suggestions wanted for new UFO challenge

rated by 0 users
This post has 52 Replies | 12 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 33
Points 1,200
Nancy625 replied on Wed, May 12 2010 6:50 PM

Well most of the UFO were pretty quick to finish but the moving was a very busy time.  Talk to you soon,  Nancy

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 33
Points 1,200
Nancy625 replied on Wed, May 12 2010 6:53 PM

Thanks to all of you who have welcomed me.  I'm looking forward to talking to all of you.  Nancy

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,402
Points 119,641
Patti replied on Tue, May 18 2010 8:46 AM

Proposed Summer 2010 UFO Challenge rules

There are a few changes and this is just a rough draft. 

UFO defined as any sewing project either not touched in the last 6 months OR started at least one year ago.  It is not a UFO if at least some of the fabric has not been cut.

Project must be completed between June 1 and August 31.  Participant will need to be member of QCA.

All work must be done by participant with 2 exceptions.  1) quilting may be done by someone else.  2) blocks may come from a block exchange if participant donated an equal number of blocks.

Points:  King: 50, queen 40, double 30, twin 20, lap 10.  Wall hangings will get similar number of points as quilts depending on size.  Bags and clothing 10 points.  Very small projects may get less.  Do your own machine quilting, double points, own hand quilting triple points.  Embellishment 5-50 points depending on how much and how elaborate. Hand work gets extra points in general.  I will need to know if applique is by hand, if pieced by hand, or if embellishments were made by the participant such as hand made lace. 

I will have more specifics later, as to what size makes a quilt a king.  Points may be pro-rated if quilt is between sizes.   I want to get it set up so that each participant will have their own media section for pictures.  There will again be prizes but that has not been determined yet.   We may have a separate challenge some time for completing another person's UFO, such as finishing a project or quilt your mother or other relative started.  They are too valuable to be left out, but don't really fit into this challenge.

Please, please, please give me your suggestions.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Tue, May 18 2010 8:57 AM

Patti

I think your rules are looking really good.   I might suggest that you put minimum sizes on each quilt catagory.  I know that I sometimes have trouble deciding what "size" something should be listed as.   For example  my king quilts are never less than 114 inches square because I need at least that much and preferably bigger to cover my bed the way I like.

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,402
Points 119,641
Patti replied on Tue, May 18 2010 9:19 AM

Thanks Nana.  I am going to look up what the standard sizes are in a quilt book, and will be posting them.  May have to pro-rate in between sizes.  I want to avoid any conflicts over what is double and what is queen, etc. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,930
Marilyn B replied on Tue, May 18 2010 4:47 PM

Sounds good Patti, thank you for running this

Paris, Ontario

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Tue, May 18 2010 11:43 PM

Patti

I think posting the standard sizes is perfect.  I know what I make as a lap quilt is probably closer to a large twin or small double.  My sizes tend to be over sizes.  I may not be from Texas big I like some things big......LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,545
Points 417,024
gini replied on Wed, May 19 2010 12:06 AM

sounds good patti, do you want before pictures   ?      gini

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,402
Points 119,641
Patti replied on Wed, May 19 2010 5:30 AM

Before pictures would probably be nice.  Maybe with a brief description of what is left to do.   I always surprise myself with how little I have left to do when something becomes a UFO.  I did a counted cross stitch rose for my mother.  I put it aside, and when I got back to it two years later, was so surprised that I only had about 30 minutes of stitches left!  And I procrastinated 2 years for that!

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 50
Linny10 replied on Wed, May 19 2010 6:14 AM

I have several UFO's that I need to finish.  When does this challenge begin? 

How do you want to handle a UFO that is only blocks at this point?  I have two quilts (ok, three) that are at this stage.   Do you just want a picture of the blocks?

Linda

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 985
Points 17,309
Kathy D replied on Thu, May 20 2010 3:08 PM

Patti:
Proposed Summer 2010 UFO Challenge rules

Patti.  You have done a great job organizing the rules for this challenge.  I have so many quilts to get quilted that I hope it is the catalyst to getting some of them finished and out of the closet.  Are my quilts gay?

And someone shoot me in the head.  I just started a Christmas BOM, I have 4 blocks done for Midnight Starrs, my celtic's corners still need sewing down, 12 angle play blocks to figure out to do what with?, stuff in pizza boxes that I don't know what they are for, a long thin santa ornament to finish, maple leaf BOM to finish, picked up a kit at a shop on Tuesday, ordered another one while I was there.  They still have to cut the fabric.  I hope they take a looonng time.  and the list goes on.  Oh and I have a tonga batik quilt kit in the mail to me.  Make it a double barreled shot gun.

I think I will go and varnish my muskoka chairs.

Kathy

Calgary, Alberta

"Friendship is like a rose...opening one petal at a time only as it unfolds...day by day does it reveal its true beauty"

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Thu, May 20 2010 6:27 PM

Kathy

We are gluttons.....just plain gluttons.   But all those UFOs sound very pretty.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Posts 33
Points 1,200
Nancy625 replied on Mon, May 24 2010 5:51 PM

I finished a quilt: quilted, bound, and labeled.  Its my crazy friendship star quilt.  The date is wrong on the camera.  I took this picture minutes ago.  Nancy

• Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,402
Points 119,641
Patti replied on Mon, May 24 2010 6:00 PM

Nancy, your quilt is so beautiful.  Love the rich colors.  I am really noticing how color value, light and dark, etc makes a difference.  I never paid much attention to it until recently and I can see that is one thing that makes your quilt so special. 

How long ago did you start this quilt?

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429

Nancy,

Nice job! I love to see all these quilts. Such talented people!

North of Boston MA

Page 2 of 4 (53 items) Prev1234Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use