Yes there will be a UFO Challenge for 2013!!!!

rated by 0 users
This post has 37 Replies | 19 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti Posted: Sun, Nov 25 2012 8:54 PM

Welcome all of you with good intentions for the New Year.  Yes there will be a UFO Challenge for 2013. 

Some questions:  Did you like counting the completed quilt tops and completed quilts separately? 

Any thing you would change?  I will be reviewing what we have done in the past and our definition of a UFO for the challenge. 

I do like the idea of those entering the competition donating a fat quarter towards the winners.  But those who just want to work on their UFOs and share their progress would not be expected to donate. 

Any other ideas?

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,446
Points 361,712
Kris replied on Mon, Nov 26 2012 11:25 PM

Patti,

I like what you did with the most recent challenge. I liked counting tops and completed quilts. I don't think I would change anything. I really like the idea of sending in FQs to go towards the winner of the challenge.

I'm looking forward to it even if I end up just being a cheerleader.

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Tue, Nov 27 2012 12:14 AM

I'm in. And I'll go with whatever the group decides. I should have waited. I just completed 4 UFOs this week!

• Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,847
Points 85,755
Sukochi replied on Tue, Nov 27 2012 9:30 AM

Patti:

Welcome all of you with good intentions for the New Year.  Yes there will be a UFO Challenge for 2013. 

Some questions:  Did you like counting the completed quilt tops and completed quilts separately? 

Any thing you would change?  I will be reviewing what we have done in the past and our definition of a UFO for the challenge. 

I do like the idea of those entering the competition donating a fat quarter towards the winners.  But those who just want to work on their UFOs and share their progress would not be expected to donate. 

Any other ideas?

Do we count quilt tops that are done to the point of needed quilting? I have lots of those.  I have finished lots of tops but have not had them quilted. Does that count?

Sukochi

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 62,640
Jacy replied on Tue, Nov 27 2012 2:38 PM

Patti, the UFO challenge last year was great, I liked that you counted completed quilt tops.

A thought for this year....... some of us have more time to sew than others. What if we had a drawing at the end of the month for anyone who completed at least one UFO during that month, rather than the person who completed the most.

I like the idea of each participant sending a fat quarter to the winner.

Last year the challenge was for 3 months, will it be the same length? I have enough UFO's to last year round, but maybe we would lose interest in working on them for any longer?

• Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,127
Points 28,535
Wendy replied on Tue, Nov 27 2012 4:47 PM

Jacy:
A thought for this year....... some of us have more time to sew than others. What if we had a drawing at the end of the month for anyone who completed at least one UFO during that month, rather than the person who completed the most.

I like this idea Jacy,

I somehow missed the start of last years, and I guess I didn't understand the rules. When I did get on board, my completed quilts didn't count. I'll try to keep up this time.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 116,335

I also like the idea of a drawing for completed UFO's. Would there be a minimum size to qualify? Or would a UFO potholder (I have 20 of things in various stages of completion) be counted the same as a UFO full quilt?

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,446
Points 361,712
Kris replied on Tue, Nov 27 2012 5:34 PM

Jacy,

I like the idea of a drwaing as well. Perhaps different categories for different sizes.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 789
Points 12,705
Quiltless replied on Tue, Nov 27 2012 10:34 PM

I see the issues; like comparing a pot holder to a full sized quilt top, but I consider myself still too new at these special activities to have an informed opinion.  So, I will go with whatever the group decides. 

I do need somebody to tell me what to do in some detail though.  Don't  assume I know anything about a UFO challenge.  All I know is I have a bunch of partly done projects gathering dust.  Do I make a list?  Do I post photos of partly done projects? 

As far as sending a fat quarter, how will I know what kind of fat quarter the winner(s) would like?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,446
Points 361,712
Kris replied on Tue, Nov 27 2012 11:41 PM

Quiltless:
As far as sending a fat quarter, how will I know what kind of fat quarter the winner(s) would like?

I know I would be happy with any FQs I receive.

Quiltless:
  All I know is I have a bunch of partly done projects gathering dust.  Do I make a list?  Do I post photos of partly done projects?

Usually you post a photo of the UFO before then after you finish. Patti will post rules as to what is considered a UFO.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,261
Points 173,143
Marie replied on Wed, Nov 28 2012 12:36 PM

Just adding my thoughts.  I love Jacy's idea of finishing aUFO in one month and then have a drawing for the winner and she/he gets to choose what type of fabric she/he would like for a FQ.  That way one could wind up with sort of a bundle in the same type fabric.

Also for the winner of the most finished UFO's, in whatever length of time chosen, could choose the type fabric desired for the FQ.

I don't know what the rules were for this years UFO challenge but they could be categorized and awarded points according to size.  Example.... pot holders, table toppers/runners, wall hangings, crib, lap, full, queen, king and Nana sized.  :  ).  Also points on weather the person quilted or sent it out to the long-armer.

I'm getting excited because Jacy's idea of a UFO a month is incentive for me to at least try.  The three months or longer period, I procrastinate.  Like I said these are just my thoughts.  Hope it helps.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,261
Points 173,143
Marie replied on Wed, Nov 28 2012 12:38 PM

BTW, I'm in, in case I didn't say that before.

Millbury, MA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020
I have no idea how this is going to be done but it sounds really good to me! I'm Like Marie, this is incentive enough to get those UFO's completed. I started quilting two years ago and have finished 2 projects. I have started a lot, so this is great! My stash is still in infancy stage so any kind of FQ would tickle me to death! I.'m in!

MelodyP

• Filed under: |
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,446
Points 361,712
Kris replied on Fri, Nov 30 2012 1:59 AM

Marie:
 I love Jacy's idea of finishing aUFO in one month and then have a drawing for the winner and she/he gets to choose what type of fabric she/he would like for a FQ.

I think the winner should be surprised by the prize not choose what you get. You could get great fabric you wouldn't have purchased for yourself. Just my two cents on the matter.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 90
Points 1,190
Bianca replied on Fri, Nov 30 2012 8:14 AM

I would like to just post about my progress, without being in a competition. I just started a new job, which will give me more quilting time than my previous job did, but not enough to be able to compete with people. But I do like to come for motivation, and for incentive to stay focused. I just like to quilt with other people.

I have not made a UFO finishing plan yet, I am kind of scared to dig them all out. So I just thought to pull one our, finish it, and then get the next one. I am already losing focus again, I am eyeing some new patterns, and techniques I would like to try out. I know, I have quilters ADD, and yes, this is self diagnosed. LOL

• Post Points: 35
Page 1 of 3 (38 items) 123Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use