This post has 51 Replies | 9 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,348
Points 174,613
Marie replied on Mon, Dec 20 2010 4:26 PM

Pat:
One down, 20 more to go

Good for you Pat.  I'm hoping the members will motivate me to finish my UFO's also.  Happy holidays to you.

Millbury, MA

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,348
Points 174,613
Marie replied on Mon, Dec 20 2010 4:37 PM

Patti:
I am almost done with the BOM

Patti, I joined that group but must confess that I got hung up on the flying geese.  I was making the smaller size and Vickie did everything in her power, barring coming to my home and doing them for me, to help me with them.  I do have the center done and could make a crib quilt with it or bite the bullet and try to finish the full sized quilt.  That is going to be the last UFO I work on so I have time to decide what to do.  Personally I'd like to finish it for Vickie's sake.  I'm not sure she's on this site anymore, I tried through "friends" to contact her with no success but that's ok because I'll know I did it for her anyway.  Picture tutorials would be great they will give me something to jog my memory of it.  Can't wait!

Millbury, MA

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 155
Points 3,435
Pat replied on Mon, Dec 20 2010 10:58 PM

And Happy Holidays to you too, Marie!

Patti - I am looking forward to your BOM - love doing those :)

Season's greetings and Merry Christmas to everyone, and may it be a safe one.

• Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 962
Points 19,541

Marie:
must confess that I got hung up on the flying geese

Marie:  I got hung up on the flying geese too.  They were just too elongated and if you cut 1/16th off they wouldn't go together.  So I ditched them and made up a pattern for trees.  I used Christmas colors for the center and I just love it.  Then the green trees.  Now I'm totally stopped picking the colors for the spinning stars and the hour glass.  I've made some, but don't like the color combinations.  After the Fan Sweatshirt jacket, I will get back to the BOM.  I just read the thread on scraps.  That just sets my mind off on another tangent!  Good lord, I really need to be at my machine or cutting table and not here.  Hmmm  I'm just weak.  LOL

A bed without a quilt is like a sky without stars.

Patty Mc  

Oregon & Arizona

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,348
Points 174,613
Marie replied on Sun, Jan 9 2011 11:13 AM

Well it looks like I have something to confess that I'm not proud of.  Spring of last year I sent for a "Downy Quilts For Kids" kit.  I finished all except quilting and binding, then I stopped.  No confidence at all in my quilting ability!  Well as you know my NY's resolution was to finish my UFO's and On Jan. 1st I picked that quilt up and did some strait line stitching and was doing well with it but put it back down again.  I will add the strait line stitching in the green blocks.    I'm posting a pic here so that you guys can encourage me to finish it and send along your ideas on how to quilt the large (trucks) block and the border.    There I did it and now I'll finish it!  confession is good for the soul.

Marie

Millbury, MA

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 763
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Sun, Jan 9 2011 11:52 AM

Marie you DQK quilt looks great! I do several of these a year and like you have little confidence in my abilities. The most important thing to remember when doing DQK quilts is to make sure they are quilted well as they go through a lot of washer and dryer cycles. As far as quilting the trucks block and border..I would stay consistent with what your doing on the 4 patch. It looks great! Lines every so many inches will ensure it is quilted well and be fairly simple too:)

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,348
Points 174,613
Marie replied on Sun, Jan 9 2011 1:47 PM

Thanks Joy.  Didn't think of lines so many inches apart.  I was going to sew through the green 4 patches like I did the orange and then sew both ways making an x in the other blocks.  I have thrown away my warm and natural cotton batting directions.  Does anyone know how far apart I should sew with this batting?

Millbury, MA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,568
Points 30,579
Kelley replied on Sun, Jan 9 2011 3:00 PM

Marie:
 I have thrown away my warm and natural cotton batting directions.

Marie,

The directions on Warm and Natural says you can quilt up to 10 inches apart... I personally use this and don't go farther then 4 inches apart..

But that is just a personal choice

...lol.. I use warm and natural for everything...

Kelley

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,348
Points 174,613
Marie replied on Sun, Jan 9 2011 4:06 PM

Kelley:
The directions on Warm and Natural says you can quilt up to 10 inches apart

Thanks Kelley I think that's too far apart (10") for the DQK's quilt, your 4" is more like it, but I'll keep it in mind on other projects.   Actually I should write it down cause my memory has taken a looong vacation.

Millbury, MA

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 4
Points 125
Judy replied on Sun, Jan 9 2011 10:00 PM

Cella, when I first started quilting in 1995 I took a beginner's class here in Little Rock Ar. The shop owner/teacher gave the same advice you did...finish 2, start 1. At the time I couldn't even imagine what she was talkiing about - how could you have so many unfinished projects that you had to come up with a plan for finishing them? Needles to say, after 15 years of quilting not only do I understand, but I have a pile of UFO's myself. Here's what I have right now:

1. Sunbonnet Sue All Through the Years, which I started handquilting (big mistake). It's been about half finished for 8 years or so. I'm not sure I even like it anymore!

2. A bunch of T shirts from a job I worked at for 15 years and got laid off from. I have them cut and interfacing ironed on - for about 5 years.

3. Mama Said - needs the embroidery finished on about 6 blocks, then sashing,  blocks put together, borders...etc. This is a great quilt that I would LOVE to finish in 2011. But...I said the same thing in 2008, 2009, and 2010. So it's not looking good right now.

4. A Black and White $5 quilt - all the blocks are all finished, need to be put together...you get the picture.

5. Heaven Bound, which is also a great quilt. I took some of the applique blocks apart, though, because I thought they could be better. Now the 2nd time around is not as much fun, so it's slow going.

5. Another $5 quilt that only needs to be quilted and bound- woohoo!

6. Kim Diehl's Taffy Pull, which needs borders and quilting - another great quilt! It was fun using a bunch of my leftover scraps on that one.

Those are the things I have started. I also have 7 kits that are waiting to be opened up so that they can become partially finished as well.

I just joined the group tonight, and taking inventory already has me motiviated!

It's snowing outside right now, and the company I work for has already said no work tomorrow. So, I think the Black and White quilt is coming out of the box. I'm setting a goal to have it finished by the end of the month - wish me luck!

• Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,397
Points 415,529
gini replied on Mon, Jan 10 2011 12:29 PM

welcome judy,   we'll be looking forward to seeing that black and white quilt in the gallery in february .  good luck    :  )   gini

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,060
Jacy replied on Tue, Jan 11 2011 2:05 PM

Judy:
just joined the group tonight, and taking inventory already has me motiviated!

Like every one else I have a lot of UFO's too!  I made a list and I had 38, that doesn't include any kits or fabric and patterns I intend to make but haven't started yet. The list really is helping me to be a little more focused on finishing some old projects instead of often setting them aside for the "latest" quilt project that sucked me in. 

I really want to finish 10 this year, that's about 1 a month. I think I'm going to post a list in my sewing room of maybe my top 12 (or maybe 6 and add to the list as I finish some?) to finish so the list doesn't seem so overwhelming yet I can still choose which one I feel like working on at a particular time. I have a tower of plastic drawers, I'm going to put just those select UFO's in those drawers, one project per drawer, with the pattern and anything else that belongs with it. Then I think it will easier to work on them, and if I get tired of a certain one, I'll tuck it back in it's drawer and I can choose a different one the next time if I want.

Of course planning is the easy part............now to do it!

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,348
Points 174,613
Marie replied on Tue, Jan 11 2011 2:19 PM

Jacy:
Of course planning is the easy part............now to do it!

Jacy, you got that right.  I planned on one a month also and here it is 1/11/11 (check out those numbers)  already and only have one half done.  I guess that's something!  Good luck to you!  Maybe we could encourage each other?????

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,348
Points 174,613
Marie replied on Tue, Jan 11 2011 2:22 PM

Judy:
I'm setting a goal to have it finished by the end of the month - wish me luck!

Judy, welcome and I wish you luck with your black and white quilt.  Can't wait to see it.  

Millbury, MA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,060
Jacy replied on Tue, Jan 11 2011 2:38 PM

Marie:
Good luck to you!  Maybe we could encourage each other?????

Marie, What are you working on? maybe we could see who finishes one first each month? I need all the help I can get to stay focused and not get distracted by new projects. 

Here's my UFO I'm currently working on. I have to applique the bodies on the butterflies and embroider the antenna before I can even join the blocks. I'm not even sure I can get it quilted too this month but I want to try.

• Post Points: 35
Page 2 of 4 (52 items) Prev1234Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use