rated by 0 users
This post has 24 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti Posted: Sat, Jun 8 2013 2:30 PM

this is Nina's post moved forward:

I fully understand how distractions interfere with getting projects done.  I seem to have been going through a prolonged period of "distractions" and have not been working on my goal of one UFO finished each month.  In March we gutted the closet in my sewing room and installed organizers.  That meant that I had to clean out and sort the contents of all my bins, boxes, etc. - which revealed more UFOs than I want to think about.  Once the room was cleaned and organized, I have had a hard time going in there and working on a project.  I have stood in the doorway and said Nahhhhh- I am not ready to mess it up yet.  Finally crossed the threshold this week and picked out this UFO to work on.  Even went to the fabric store for border and backing fabric.  I think I can get this top finished in June.  I started it last summer and then set it aside to work on other projects.  So it is time to finish this top.

NinaK

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Sat, Jun 8 2013 2:36 PM

this is one Jacy started working on in May, but then switched to another and finished it for May instead.  Perhaps this will be your June UFO Jacy?

i added some sashing, and played around with border ideas. But that meant I would need to make a bunch more QST units

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Sat, Jun 8 2013 2:41 PM

Here is one Star has been working on. 

Here is a picture of my April / May / ??? UFO in progress

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 936
Points 15,850
Marge P replied on Mon, Jun 10 2013 3:10 AM

I have been meaning to join this since the first of the year and just haven't done it.  I will give it a try for this month and see how it goes.  Being as I have had a quilt on the long arm for a month and it is not finished yet (Easy Street by Bonnie Hunter), I will need to get it done before I can quilt this one.

I am posting a picture of the blocks from Nana's Scrappy quilt that was done in 2012 I think or maybe it was late 2011.  Anyway, the blocks have been sitting on my guest room dresser for many months.  So I will see if I can at least get the top done.  In cleaning out my sewing room I have found several different UFO lists by the year and it is totally depressing.  So here goes to get one done!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 135
Points 975
NinaK replied on Tue, Jun 11 2013 12:18 PM

I have finished my June UFO quilt top.  I didn't have a pattern for this, so am naming it "Patched Pinwheels".  It measures 64" wide x 76" long.

Quilt:

Close-up of block:

• Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 135
Points 975
NinaK replied on Tue, Jun 11 2013 1:35 PM

Here is my next UFO project.  I made the quilt top shown in the first picture several years ago, but never got it quilted.  I had decided it was too "gender specific" for a queen-sized quilt.  From the leftovers from the first quilt I had assembled the second, smaller top.  My plan now is to take both of them apart, down to the individual blocks and reassemble into two twin-sized quilts.  Okay, okay - I hear those gasps of horror - take apart all that work?  I know in my heart that this project is never going to be completed as it nowstands and I now have two great-great nieces, ages 1 1/2 and 3 1/2, for whom this gender-specific fabric would be quite appropriate.  So here goes!

Queen-sized quilt top - measures about 80" x 108"

Smaller quilt top, measures about 34" x 54" (shown with leftover blocks and fabrics)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Tue, Jun 11 2013 11:21 PM

Nina, your patchwork pinwheels are stunning.  I love the blues. 

And turning the one quilt into two for the girls is a great idea.  But I do love original top.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 964
Points 19,596

NinaK --  Way to go!  I've always said, if the quilt doesn't suit, or something about it is wrong, take it apart and start over.  Looking forward to seeing the end projects.  And the girls will love them.

A bed without a quilt is like a sky without stars.

Patty Mc  

Oregon & Arizona

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Thu, Jun 20 2013 10:47 PM

I did work on a UFO today.  Pam Bono's Out of Darkness that I started about 10 years ago.  A block of the month.  A neighbor started hers about 7 years ago.  We are about at the same place.  We are getting together every Wednesday afternoon to sew.   She is a busy lady so is still a beginner, but she is quickly increasing her skill level on this one.  I am past that beginner stage, but find this very challenging. 

This hopefully will be complete sometime this summer.  That is our goal.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Thu, Jun 27 2013 9:06 AM

we are getting to the end of June and have only one completed quilt so far, and that in Nina's.  Nina, I love that quilt!

Tally of number of quilts or tops completed this year so far are:

Jacy: 5

Nina and Kris: 3 each

Wendy and Patti: 2

Patty Mc, Sabrina, Pat, Angele, each have one. 

That's 19 quilts total.

Whoever has the most quilts or tops completed at the end of June, gets the 6 month award.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Thu, Jun 27 2013 10:30 AM

I want to finish something.  So I took a look at my UFO shelf and pulled something out.  I must have made this top 3-4 years ago at least.  It's throw size.  Or kid's bed.  All I need to do is quilt and bind it.  So this morning I am going to layer it. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,480
Jacy replied on Thu, Jun 27 2013 12:57 PM

I like your woodsy quilt Patti. I used that bear print for a quilt backing, great for a guy quilt. I hope you get a little quilting time in so you can finish it this month.

I got last month's project (quilt from DD's clothes) quilted and bound, I need to take a photo of it. I'm working on the border for the navy stars quilt, I don't know if I will finish by the end of the month, I should get busy, I get a lot  more done when I have a deadline.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 936
Points 15,850
Marge P replied on Fri, Jun 28 2013 3:29 PM

I didn't get my June UFO quilted (still have that darn Easy Street top on the frame) but at least the borders are on it so that will be it for this month.  have a huge log Cabin to get done as soon as I get the one off the machine.

Jacy - I love your Star quilt.

Star - your Star's quilt is lovely - love the colors.

Nina - your pinwheel quilt is great - Blue is definitely my favorite color.  Taking the queen top apart is definitely a work of love but you will be very happy to have quilts for both great, great nieces.  

Patti - love your bear and cabin quilt.

I just added narrow vertical sashings to every second block to give the eye a place to rest.  Probably should have made two smaller quilts and put sashings all around. Too late now! :-)  At least it is a top now instead of a stack of blocks!  it measures 60" x 67"

I don't know why my croppings in Picaso aren't working - oh well, need to go in and see why the full picture is showing.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Sat, Jun 29 2013 9:01 AM

Marge P:

I just added narrow vertical sashings to every second block to give the eye a place to rest.

they really do add to the quilt and make it more pleasing to look at.  The borders are perfect.  Congratulations on getting it done.  I really like scrappies.  Nice job.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,480
Jacy replied on Mon, Jul 1 2013 12:31 PM

Marge, I like your scrappy with the neutrals added, it does add a little calm without toning it down too much.

I noticed your neutral is the very same fabric I used for my navy star scrappy, great minds think alike?

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 12Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use