How are the UFOs going?

rated by 0 users
This post has 100 Replies | 17 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 76
Points 895

Good day to  you Pat.. thanks for the idea of the dry erase board i have to get me one to put in my sewing room.. that would help me alot.. i am new to the group since i just joined QCA.... but i finally finished my sons quilt which has been a ufo for the past two years but i finally got it done late christmas eve nite.. well really it was early in the morning.. once i figure out how to put a pic on here i will show what i did.. i am kinda a novice quilter even though i had learned to quilt with my grandmother but i put it down till all my sons got grown.. now i got all the time to make quilts and they give me so many requests to make things LOL.. so thanks for the idea .. i sure am going to go get a big dry erase board to help me with my ufos.. thanks

Lisa Fenner

• Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 654
Points 12,395

I don't have room on my sewing wall for a dry erase board, so another idea is put the dry erase board on the closet wall.  I also have put a list of quits I am working on, in the order I want to work on them, just on a paper list, then taped it to the inside of the cabinet in my sewing room. I learned this from my mother-in-law, who put her recipes she used all the time inside her cabinet doors. I like the ease of looking them up quickly.  Of course, if you're a computer person, you might use an app for that!!

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 151
Points 3,470
Star replied on Fri, Jan 4 2013 7:06 AM

I don't have a dry erase board for my quilting, but I did make a spreadsheet :-). So far I have found, identified, and listed the current status of 13 quilts, I think there may be about 6-7 more! Sigh... One step at a time, at least these have been isolated and most still have the patterns and directions so I know what they are supposed to be when finished. I printed my spread sheet, left room to add more at the bottom, and taped it to a cabinet door right in front of my sewing table. It may take me a couple (fingers crossed) years to go through this list. I am going to try very hard not to start anything new, except for the baby items for my daughter. OK, and maybe a special request qult along the way. I will post pictures of before and after, even though some won't count, but I like the sense of accompolishment.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 654
Points 12,395

Star, 

Good for you!! I love being organized, It helps in a busy day get at least a little sewing done if I don't have a full day to sew.  I also like the list on the door as it keeps it right in front of you.  And crossing off makes me feel accomplished,  I save the list for a while, even crossed off, to make sure I have a photo of each quilt, when I finished it, and a photo of the person the quilt is going to with the quilt.  That way I get a printed copy of the quilt with recipient and put these in my quilt journal book.  That way my children will have a record of all the quilts I have made.  The other thing I have done, is get clear plastic containers from Walmart (with lids-about 3-4 inches tall), when I cut out the quilt, I put all the pieces in one container, with copy of the instructions and any notes that I made or my ideas I was thinking of for borders, label, etc. Then I make a label for the front of the box and all my boxes are stacked in the cabinet in order of next to be worked on.  This way, if I have only a few minutes, I can work on a quilt a little at a time. We travel in an RV and this allows me to have a quilt to take with me and work on, when on the road.  We have a Featherweight 221 in the RV and a sewing table, with duplicate of all my quilting supplies in the RV, so I don't have to pack anything.  

Good sewing!!

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 151
Points 3,470
Star replied on Fri, Jan 4 2013 9:34 AM

Michelle - I want an rv to travel in! We used to have a travel trailor when  I was married, and I dragged along a quilt I was hand quilting, the light outside is perfect for that. I also always took along a cross stitch project, and some books. Let me just say I was never bored. It sounds like you are very organized.

When I got divorced and packed up my sewing room to move across the country  I bought a plastic tote box for each project, that has made finding them a lot easier. Unfortunatly, I had some help with the sewing room and all the bits and pieces did not always get in the right place, but I think I can find everything by opening all the boxes. I have married up several projects already. I had so many UFO's because I was pretty active in the MN quilters association and went to lots of quilt shows, took classes, went on retreats, took classes, and took classes from three or four of the local quilt shops. The quilters ADD was born. I have the opportunity to finish these projects since there is not an opportunity for much else where I live. I have to travel pretty far to attend a quilt show, and the classes at the couple of shops here are very basic and not very challenging, with no new to me techniques. So, UFO's it is. The money has already been spent.

Happy Quilting!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 962
Points 19,541

Gals:  So many very pretty UFO'S.  Good luck working and finishing them.

The Christmas quilt is now finished.  All 33 feet of the binding.  Took me about four days.  And now I can't find my camera.  Honest to pete, where did I hide it.  This quilt doesn't qualify for the UFO contest. but it really feels good to have it done.

Now on to the next project, which isn't a UFO, but a promise.  It's embroidery on an apron, for my granddaughter.  Pictures (if I find my camera) will be posted in the Machine Embroidery group.

Keep sewing ladies.

A bed without a quilt is like a sky without stars.

Patty Mc  

Oregon & Arizona

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 789
Points 12,705
Quiltless replied on Thu, Jan 10 2013 11:44 AM

I have to drop out of the 2013 UFO Challenge.  My sewing space is under construction. 

Enjoy the challenge!  Good luck to everyone.

Quiltless

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 962
Points 19,541

Quiltless --  Sorry you are dropping out, but construction sounds exciting.  New sewing room??

Patty Mc  

Oregon & Arizona

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 429
Points 8,695
Sabrina replied on Sun, Jan 13 2013 9:36 PM

I finally got the king sized quilt done that was suppose to be done by Christmas. It took a bit longer than I had hoped, but the important thing is that it is done. It was started a few years ago when we started the Jodie's Sampler block of the month, so it took me about three years to finish it. It doesn't count for the UFO challenge because I have been working on it for the last couple months, but now I can move on to one that will count.

• Post Points: 50
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 962
Points 19,541

Sabrina:  You got the flying geese!  Good for you.  That's the piece I dropped and put in the trees.  Very pretty.  And Congrat's!

Patty Mc  

Oregon & Arizona

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 429
Points 8,695
Sabrina replied on Mon, Jan 14 2013 4:20 AM

Thank you, Snowbird Quilter. The flying geese gave me fits and made it really difficult to get the rest of the blocks to fit together right. I am so glad this quilt is done because if I had to work on it any more it might never get finished. It took two nights, all night long, just to stitch down the miles of binding. I really like how you added the tree blocks to yours. Your quilt turned out simply beautiful.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 962
Points 19,541

Sabrina:  Thanks.  I just couldn't get those flying geese!  Glad you stuck with it though.  That binding was a killer.  I measured 33 feet.  Took me several days.  LOL

Patty Mc  

Oregon & Arizona

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,460
Points 361,947
Kris replied on Thu, Jan 24 2013 3:39 PM

Sabrina:
I finally got the king sized quilt done that was suppose to be done by Christmas. It took a bit longer than I had hoped, but the important thing is that it is done.

Nice work Sabrina. Beautiful quilt.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,460
Points 361,947
Kris replied on Thu, Jan 24 2013 3:40 PM

I'm halfway through quilting my fall fabric quilt. Hope to be done by the weekend.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Thu, Jan 24 2013 8:15 PM

Sabrina:
few years ago when we started the Jodie's Sampler block of the month, so it took me about three years to finish it. It doesn't count for the UFO challenge because I have been working on it for the last couple months, but now I can move on to one that will count

Sabrina, if you started it over a year ago, it counts.  "UFO is defined as not having been touched for at least 6 months, OR was started more than one year ago."

It's beautiful!

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Page 3 of 7 (101 items) Prev12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use