9533cella's 2011 UFO journey

rated by 0 users
This post has 51 Replies | 9 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 23
Points 4,090
9533cella Posted: Fri, Dec 10 2010 12:52 PM

Hello Everyone,

I have taken stock of my UFOs and am starting this discussion so I can confess how out of control my UFOs have become and track my journey to complete as many of them as I can in 2011.

I have an HQ16 so I can totally complete my own quilts.

Here is my current tally:

Personal UFOs

15 tops started

30 projects kitted (some with cutting started)

Need Quilting

18 tops, 3 wallhangings, 5 table runners

I also have 11 tops waiting to be quilted for charity projects

These numbers do not  and will not include any of my activities for Quilts of Valor since those quilts always take priority.

What are everyone else's plans for their UFO journey in 2011?

9533cella

• Filed under: |
  • Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,407
Points 415,669
gini replied on Sat, Dec 11 2010 7:50 PM

cella, i manage to finish several ufos this year, and i may eke one more out.   i will have to sit down and take a count,   i think i have close to 50 in various stages of completion    gini

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,398
Points 119,581
Patti replied on Sat, Dec 11 2010 10:37 PM

HI Cella.  I am overwhelmed with UFOs.  Since joining this QCA I have been encouraged and finished a couple UFOs, started and completed 3 quilts for Christmas last year, a baby blanket and bag. But now I  have even more UFOs.  Several tops I have yet to quilt.  (2 MQ1, one MQ2 and one MQ3.  And the ugly quilt from the ugly fabric contest, a quilt for my nephew and a bear quilt for the couch.)  It is my intention this year to be done with all my UFOs, except for maybe the blocks of the month.  I have too many of those.  I won't even mention what I have undone from years ago.   

We will be gearing up for a contest beginning in January.  It will be different than the contests before.  Rewards for completing UFO's will be a the pattern and instructions for a block of the month, one block pattern for each UFO completed. 

Seems kind of silly to encourage working on something new while trying to complete the old.  Oh well, people can simply file away the pattern, and get to it later. 

Glad you have joined us!

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,407
Points 415,669
gini replied on Fri, Dec 17 2010 1:08 PM

good grief, patti, how many ufo's do we have to complete to get all the patterns?    or are there an endless supply?    i can just see the ufo patterns collecting in a corner until they take over my studio, sam with a back hoe clearing me a path, the condemnation people condemning debbie's building.  cnn appearing to interview all the neighbors, the paddy wagon hauling me off.......it'll be my 15 minutes of fame     gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,763
Points 365,032
Kris replied on Fri, Dec 17 2010 3:57 PM

And I would proudly say I know you Gini. LOL

Not Ranked
Posts 23
Points 4,090
9533cella replied on Sat, Dec 18 2010 8:20 AM

So here's what I've decided to do to try and work through my UFOs and also satisfy my craving to start on new quilt projects. In 2011, any time I "finish" 2 things from my UFO pile, I can start a new project. Whatever my new project is, I have to completely finish it (pieced and quilted) before moving on to something else so that I'm not creating even more UFOs. My new project can be one of my already existing kits or something totally new. A "finish" is going to be anything that moves from one level of completion to another. In other words, if I finish piecing something and add it to the "needs quilting" pile, that is a "finish" because it is moving from one level of completion to another. If I quilt and bind something, obviously that is also a "finish".

Hopefully, this will provide me with some incentive and structure and will help me make a dent in my UFO pile.

cella

• Filed under: |
  • Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,407
Points 415,669
gini replied on Sat, Dec 18 2010 11:42 AM

cella, that sounds like a great idea.  sometimes looking at a pile of ufo's and knowing what needs to be done, can be whelming.  breaking it down makes good sense    gini

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,398
Points 175,538
Marie replied on Sat, Dec 18 2010 4:01 PM

Patti, Cella, Gini and Kris, I just joined this group.  Kris pointed me in this direction because of a post in one of the other threads that I wrote.  I have finished tops that I promised myself I would finish by July 2011.  I need all the encouragement I can get along with any ideas for backing and quilting.  2011 is the year I will learn how to quilt on my Janome, Celesta is her name.  I have plenty of space on the bed to do my own quilting.  Even if it's just SITD and some simple lines I need to get busy.  Looking forward to being a part of this group.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,763
Points 365,032
Kris replied on Sat, Dec 18 2010 4:18 PM

Hi Marie,

glad you could join us.

I'm working on quilting a WIP that I started a year or so ago. I hoped to have it ready for my friend for Christmas but it might not get to her in time. It's loaded onto my frame and I've done a couple passes on it. Should be done by tomorrow if I work on it.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,398
Points 175,538
Marie replied on Sat, Dec 18 2010 5:07 PM

Thanks kris.  I'm sure you'll finish the quilt.  Don't forget to post a pic of it.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,763
Points 365,032
Kris replied on Sat, Dec 18 2010 10:31 PM

It's not going to happen Marie. I took the quilt off the frame and will start over once I get all the current stitches frogged. Grr.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 155
Points 3,435
Pat replied on Sun, Dec 19 2010 11:36 PM

Good evening, everyone! Wishing you all the best of the holiday season, and some time that you can spend sewing. This group seems like an awesome supportive group for those of us that have a hard time finishing projects. I know that I find it way more fun to start a new one, than finish one. However, out of the many UFO's that are hiding, I did manage to finish one! One down, 20 more to go.

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,763
Points 365,032
Kris replied on Mon, Dec 20 2010 1:15 AM

Go Pat! Did you post photos in media?

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 155
Points 3,435
Pat replied on Mon, Dec 20 2010 8:05 AM

I did, Kris :) figured I'd use it as my avatar this month too :)

I have to finish some of my WIP (and use some of my fabric stash-my husband is threatening to use my stash as insulation when we renovate!)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,398
Points 119,581
Patti replied on Mon, Dec 20 2010 8:18 AM

I am almost done with the BOM design to go with the next UFO challenge.  A couple more tweaks.  It looks more difficult than it is and can be simplified depending on fabric choices, or with fussy cutting be even more elaborate.  With use of distinct light, medium, and dark, scraps could be used as well. Hope to post it this week sometime.  I plan to make picture tutorials to go with the blocks. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Page 1 of 4 (52 items) 1234Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use