Welcome and Intruduce Yourself

rated by 0 users
This post has 35 Replies | 18 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,048
Points 13,240

I just wanted to drop in and tell you all "thanks for sharing."  We have a wonderful group of quilters from very diverse backgrounds and various levels of skill. For those of you that participated in RR3 or lurked, yes, there were some pretty rough times. Since it was my first RR I was a little surprised but it is my understanding that the situation was very "out of the ordinary."  Zsofia and I have discussed, tweaked, and re tweaked the guidelines and rules several times to give a better understanding of exactly what is expected and the commitment required. I'd like to take this opportunity to stress how disappointing it is when someone drops out and leaves their group in a bind. Also, one of our members didn't even get her quilt back but she continued to be supportive of her group, followed through with her commitment and even decided to give it another try with RR4 (what a trooper!).  Expectations are high for RR 4 but we also want everyone to enjoy the process. Life happens and we can make some adjustments if absolutely necessary. Please contact me or Zsofia if anything arises that may delay or interrupt your participation. Communication is so important. Thank you all again for signing up and in advance for the dedication and hard work you put into each border!

aka Grandma Sunshine

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,790
Points 30,495
Debbie replied on Fri, Aug 16 2013 10:09 PM

Hello, Debbie from Oklahoma City, OK here.  been married 41 years, have 3 children - two daughters -Amy, 40 and Keli, 36, one son Corey, 38; these three have given us 6 grandsons, ages, 17,15, 11, 7, 3 and almost 1 and one granddaughter, age 16.  all but the youngest two live within 2 miles of us.  Unfortunately, DS, DDIL, and youngest two live in Denver.  I'm a librarian and hope to retire in 866 days, goal is Dec 31, 2015.  

I started sewing at age 10 to earn my Girl Scout badge and been sewing off and on every since.  started quilting about 15 years ago when a friend at  church talked me into a t-shirt class at local high school.  got me hooked on piecing but still working on quilting part.  right now, I have 4 quilts top done and need to be quilted and one table topper.  thinking about getting long arm certified and renting one.  need to check that out at one of the local sewing machine dealer.  

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,048
Points 13,240

Ahhh, Debbie. Girl Scouts!  I had totally forgotten GS. LOL. My mom was the troop leader Brownies through Cadettes!  I guess it was just a given that GS was part of life. Wow, I rummaged through some stuff after your post and found my sashes and badges. What memories!  Thanks for reminding me!!! 

aka Grandma Sunshine

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 53
Points 740
bdsagek replied on Sat, Aug 17 2013 8:32 AM

Hi! Ia'm Kerry and I've been quilting off and on since for 40 years (I started very young) and I have a growing pile of UFO's and tops waiting to be quilted - who doesn't?  I have been working on finishing those UFO's - really I am.  I work full time and also have other outside activities that take up a lot of my time. I don't dedicate as much time to my quilting as I would like - but I manage to get some time in every week.  Right now I am finishing up a mystery quilt, doing three block a months and some hand pieced work as well.

I am in a traditional and scrappy phase and am concentrating on Christmas quilts this year.  My quilt guild just finished a round robin and the results were amazing.

Kerry

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,674
Points 63,985
Jacy replied on Sat, Aug 17 2013 9:43 AM

Hi, I'm Jackie, but go by Jacy (my grandmother's nickname for me) on here. I grew up in England and Ireland, moved to California where I met my DH, and now live in Idaho. We have been married 28yrs and have 8 kids, 3 grown and 5 still at home, 18, 14, 11, 6 and 4. They keep me busy but I find time to sew most days, it helps keep my sanity!

I have been sewing since I was a young girl, handsewing first, then clothes and simple quilts. Now I rarely sew anything but quilts, I have a rather lengthy list of UFO's and quilt tops to be quilted, I get so sidetracked by new projects. This will be my first Round Robin quilt but I participated in a row quilt last year and I enjoyed the challenge

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 415
Points 5,370
Kathy replied on Sat, Aug 17 2013 10:29 AM

Hi!  I am Kathy from Florida and this will be the second RR I have participated in.  I was so thrilled by my first and felt a little inadequate in my abiities after seeing some of the glorious work that was done on mine, but hope I improve this time around.  I am retired and only started quilting 4 years ago.  Back "in the day" I did sewing for myself and my children and then grandchildren and then didn't do anything for a while.  Now I am addicted and have way too many UFO's, but I am working on getting them finished.  I have 4 children, 11 grandchildren and 2 great grandchildren but they live all over the country and I rarely get to see any of them which is sad.

Kathy

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 664
Points 16,545
Zsofia replied on Sat, Aug 17 2013 11:10 AM

Debbie, Kerry, Jacy and Kathy welcome to the group.

Thanks for all of you who took a little time introduced themselves. We need 2 more quilters and then we will be ready to start the RR. 

Zsofia

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 27
Points 545
Nikki replied on Sat, Aug 17 2013 12:09 PM

Hello my name is Nikki and I live in Idaho Falls, ID. I have escaped a few times, but home is where the heart is.  I have three children and here soon 3 beautiful grand daughters...one is due any day now :)

I started quilting roughly a year ago...I even had to have my son teach me how to use my new sewing machine!  I LOVE it!! I am even starting to hoard fabric too.  Just recently a friend of mine mother gave me all of her fabric and notions...made me feel like it really was Christmas in July...

K. Nikki Wells, Idaho Falls, ID
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,768
Points 420,339
gini replied on Sat, Aug 17 2013 12:56 PM

hi all, i have been quilting forever.   if you click on my name and then click on my profile, you can read all about me,  at least what i shared.  :  )    if you all haven't filled out your profile, please do.  it is a way we can sneak a peak at your favorite things, learn your favorite colors, etc. without having to ask every time.    it's very helpful to know these  things when we are gong to retreats and meeting up.   you can make secret gifts in the appropriate colors without letting on.  

gini in north idaho

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 875
Points 14,775

one of our members didn't even get her quilt back but she continued to be supportive of her group, followed through with her commitment and.        

On another mail in Robin I did on a Yahoo forum, this happened also. One quilt did not come home.  What the owner did was to send a self addressed and postage paid envelope to the person who had it. Enclosed a note that all is ok if not worked on or finished, but please return her work, it meant so much to her.!   She got it back by golly! We were all thrilled.   If you gave the group each others address maybe someone still has that persons.  It's worth a try! Doesn't cost much for a flat rate shipping envelope.  Just thought I would try to help.    I hate knowing someone didn't get there work back,,,,,  regards......

MODESTO, CA.
  • Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 664
Points 16,545
Zsofia replied on Sat, Aug 17 2013 4:48 PM

Marla:

one of our members didn't even get her quilt back but she continued to be supportive of her group, followed through with her commitment and.        

On another mail in Robin I did on a Yahoo forum, this happened also. One quilt did not come home.  What the owner did was to send a self addressed and postage paid envelope to the person who had it. Enclosed a note that all is ok if not worked on or finished, but please return her work, it meant so much to her.!   She got it back by golly! We were all thrilled.   If you gave the group each others address maybe someone still has that persons.  It's worth a try! Doesn't cost much for a flat rate shipping envelope.  Just thought I would try to help.    I hate knowing someone didn't get there work back,,,,,  regards......

Marla - That's a great idea! perhaps our member will read it and consider to give it a try.

Zsofia

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,048
Points 13,240

Ditto Marla. I know the group and Barbara tried to retrieve it by several methods but I don't recall them mentioning sending a pre-paid envelope. Great idea and we will definitely file tat info away for future use. Thanks for sharing that!!!!

aka Grandma Sunshine

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 27
Points 545
Nikki replied on Mon, Aug 19 2013 8:54 PM

After reading about everyone, I feel a little out of place, but still excited.  You all have been quilting for many many more years than I have!  I just hope that I can keep up with the expectations of the group :)

K. Nikki Wells, Idaho Falls, ID
  • Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,048
Points 13,240

Oh Nikki, don't let us fool you!  We love to try new things during these RRs so that makes us all "newbies" in a way. LOL  you will do great. If you get stuck we re all here to help you through. Just enjoy the process of creativity.  ;-)

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 20,310
Points 254,984
Barbara replied on Tue, Aug 20 2013 6:29 AM

Marla:

Marla, I just did read this and what a wonderful idea , thank for sharing this with us.  We have had this happen but s far just this one time.  I'm hoping she will  get the quilt back to its owner  soon.    Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Page 2 of 3 (36 items) Prev123Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.