Group3 Chit Chat

rated by 0 users
This post has 164 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 642
Points 16,275
Zsofia Posted: Wed, Aug 21 2013 3:36 PM

Members of group3 please use this thread to connect and to get to know each other.

• Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 507
Points 10,020
Judi replied on Wed, Aug 21 2013 6:13 PM

Good afternoon, or evening everyone,

I am so excited to get started. I have picked my center and hope to have it ready by the end if next week. I am going to put some of my fabric in with my block as well as a bit about why I chose my block and something about me. I hope that is all right with everyone. All the RR done by my guild have done tjis. I will add a note to each as I get them about the border I put on. 

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,836
Points 31,980
Roxana replied on Wed, Aug 21 2013 6:30 PM

Hello everyone... I'm so excited about being in THIS group. You all are so AWESOME! Kerry, I don't know you but look forward to meeting you.

Know now that I will do my best with your quilt. This is my first round robin so it will definitely be learning adventure. 

I've drawn out my block and thought about including fabric but then they said to include extra money for postage so I wondered about just sending a fat quarter to each of you now or would that not work. Mine is going to be all in batiks but I think I have picked out colors that will be easy to work with. So the con to my sending fabric to you is that it might stifle your creativity and I certainly don't want to do that. I'll include a graph of my block in my journal too.

Happy sewing!

• Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,559
Points 23,645
Susie replied on Thu, Aug 22 2013 8:04 AM

Roxana--truthfully, don't include money for postage.  We all have to mail the same size package (roughly) the same number of times.  You can include a little treat, if you choose to do so.  Typically, the treat isn't used on the quilt, but for the quilter's stash.

You will be just fine!  I've seen some of your work and you are right up there with the rest of us.  I was terrified on my first one that the people wouldn't like what I chose to do.  As long as you are careful with your seams/squaring up, and follow the guidelines the original person set in her journal, the sky is the limit.

I have a ROUGH idea on what I'm going to do to mine, but have to get it laid out.  I have four blocks I want to feature, just not sure what to do with them yet...

Chicagoland, Illinois

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 507
Points 10,020
Judi replied on Thu, Aug 22 2013 10:53 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has not made her block yet!  I am picking up a finished quilt from my quilter today or tomorrow. I want to get it bound and the extras sewn on. It is the Sew Spooky BOM!  I had fun making it. I have two other tops at a different quilter, I try to use all my local longarmers. Each do different things well 

I can't wait to see everyone's centers. I am sure everyone's will be different and exciting. This is my first RR so I am a bit nervous. I just need to get myself in gear. Thankfully, my High Holidays are early this season.  That is like my inner calendar telling me summer relaxing is really over. I also get over the September 11th programming and torturous interviews that happen over the next few weeks. All my children deal with it as well as my husband. We are not a fun group to have around, I'm afraid. All the piecing will keep me focused on the here and now rather than on what should have been. With all Joshua's friends having babies, some days are so sad. 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,836
Points 31,980
Roxana replied on Thu, Aug 22 2013 11:07 AM

Judi, I'll keep you in my prayers over the next month. For those of you in the group who haven't read Judi's Bio on QCA, I strongly suggest that you do. It's moving testimony as to why quilting/quilts are so important. It brought me to tears. Please read it!

Bonita and Kerry, we'd love to hear from you!

Susie, thanks for the vote of confidence! I really appreciate it. ... I decided against sending fabric to be used in my quilt because I really want to see what you do with my block! I have faith in everyone in our group. ... I also have to figure out how to create a label for everyone to sign.

Kerry, you've been quilting for 40 years! What a fantastic legacy you are leaving.

Judi, SUsie, and Bonita, I've seen your work and I love it. 

So if I include a little gift, is it ok with everyone in the group? Say a fat quarter or something like that? The rules say that we have to agree as a group about the postage because the first send would include a gift for four people.

What does everyone think?

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,559
Points 23,645
Susie replied on Thu, Aug 22 2013 11:42 AM

Roxana--I think a small gift is fine.  I know I plan to include something as well.  Truthfully, the postage won't change with the small gifts and the journal.  I always send priority flat rate, so whatever you can fit in the envelopr/box.  My only suggestion is that if you use envelopes, put the top in a ziplock first, and then in a tyvek envelope.  It will help protect it from the weather and the postage machines.  Also, please DO insure the top.  I always use a value of $200.  While it's not truly the value of all our time and effort, it will allow the recovery of the supplies.

Judi--my prayers to you as you go through the next couple of weeks.  I can't imagine what it must be like, but know that we are here for you!

Kerry--I realized about a week ago, when I was talking to my mother that I have been sewing for 40 years.  My granny started me stitching on lined paper on her very ancient treadle machine.  I sure wish I had that thing now!  By the time I was 12, I was making clothes.  Now, when I make dresses for my grands, I rarely even use a pattern.  Just measure, cut and stitch.  Quilting still takes a pattern...probably always will.

Bonita--Please jump in and join in our fun!  Part of the awesomeness of a RR is that we can create friendships that can last forever!

I have 4 shops left on our 3 month shop hop.  I'm hitting 3 of them tonight so I am hoping to find something fun for each of you.  Still have to finalize my plan for my center.  I have a couple thoughts tumbling around in my head, just not sure which is going to pop out in front.  We'll see when I get to the shops.

Chicagoland, Illinois

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Thu, Aug 22 2013 5:32 PM

Susie

Are you aware that you have to have receipts for everything used in the quilt to be able to collect the insurance thru the post office?  I quit insuring when I found this out and just add tracking to everything of value.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,559
Points 23,645
Susie replied on Fri, Aug 23 2013 10:56 AM

Thanks, Nana!

Chicagoland, Illinois

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,836
Points 31,980
Roxana replied on Sat, Aug 24 2013 9:37 AM

Bonita and Kerry, we'd love to hear from you.

I wanted you all to know that we do have pets (short haired Chihuahuas) but I will keep your tops away from them when I have it. 

I also want you to know that I have allergies to strong perfume scents and to cigarette smoke. I have to wash all my laundry in scent-free detergents. I know we aren't washing tops but if you are wearing a strong cologne or perfume as you work on any top, it might rub off on the fabric. The same goes with a scented spray starch alternative. I hope that makes sense.

I about have the measurements for my top figured out and plan to start piecing it today so I can get it off next week. I still have to figure out that label. What do you put on it....  2013 Fall Round Robin, my signature for the center and date, and leave the rest for you guys? Is that how it works?

I'm going to the LQS for another reason today so I'll see about little gifts for each of you. I know that Judi doesn't celebrate Christmas so I'll stay away from Christmas fabric there.

Anything else I need to know? I have had so much fun just planning the top so far! My top will be a wall hanging if I have figured out the dimensions correctly.

I'm still working on my journal.

I'm so looking forward to working with each of you. Bonita gets my top first.... and Susie will finish it up. (Which means my very first RR border will be done on Susie's top! What pressure! LOL! Just kidding! The pressure will be there for each top but I promise I'll put my heart and soul into doing the best job I can.

Looking forward to this experience!

• Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 507
Points 10,020
Judi replied on Sat, Aug 24 2013 12:23 PM

I do have dogs, yes plural.  One is 13 year old Weimaraner that my DH fell for while we were in  a Boca Petsmart. We were there running an errand for my parents who had adopted a2-3year old Lab mix. It seems Tina needed something. Someone had dumped the Weinmaraner off and refused to pick her up after a bath. The poor thing was terrified and no one thought that this 4 month old pup would be adopted in this retirement area.  In walks DH and I. They gave her to us for free.  There's no such thing as a free dog!  She is a sweet but still out there dog. I have a year old red standard poodle who is a live wire. She has been bred for a therapy dog and I hope to have her trained(and me!) this fall.  My parent's Lab mix is now 15 and is with us since I lost my Dad and then my Mom. 

I understand dog hair allergies. I have had allergies for my whole life. It seems that what bothers me depends on what else is growing or pollinating!  I constantly wash after playing with the Lab mix. She can get me a bit itchy!

I will keep the fabric and all away from the dogs. I do not smoke and no one does in my house. Asthma!  

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,758
Points 66,980
Bonita replied on Sat, Aug 24 2013 5:57 PM

Hi , fellow RR'ers I'm here and almost ready to go. My center has been done for about a week now just need to do the journal and do a label. i'm going to just use a square of muslin and add a border around it when it comes back. I picked a simple block this time around and I wanted to use the fabrics I have on hand. The print fabric is one I've had for a long time and couldn't find anything I wanted to cut this beautiful fabric for.  So I made myself to just go ahead and do it. I know you ladies will have an easy time with this block so no worry about that.

I too have trouble with strong scents and I don't smoke and no pets anymore. So no problem with any of those things coming from me.  

As far as sending things extra I agree the postage should be the same until we get to the last couple of rounds, but by then the extras will be less anyway. 

This is my third RR and am looking forward to doing this one. I see you are a chatty bunch and I'm not so much, but I'll try real hard to keep up my end.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,836
Points 31,980
Roxana replied on Mon, Aug 26 2013 5:18 PM

My center is on its way to Florida! How fun! It's begun.....

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,758
Points 66,980
Bonita replied on Mon, Aug 26 2013 6:54 PM

OK, Roxanna, I'll be watching for it. I still need to get my journal ready. Maybe tonight. Are you ready Kerry?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Tue, Aug 27 2013 12:51 AM

Judi

I just read your bio and all I can say is I am so sorry and you are a strong woman.  I am afraid that I would have just fallen apart.   God Bless you.

Vinton, Virginia

Page 1 of 11 (165 items) 12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use