General Chit Chat

rated by 0 users
This post has 73 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 642
Points 16,275
Zsofia Posted: Sun, Aug 11 2013 2:08 PM

Please use this thread for questions about the Round Robin and for general talk.

thanks Zsofia

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,836
Points 31,980
Roxana replied on Mon, Aug 12 2013 11:57 AM

I also want to thank Zsofia and Maggie for helping Barbara while she is recovering. I'm learning daily just how smart and wonderful Barbara is as I attempt to fill her shoes in Fabric Swaps. I wish Zsofia and Maggie tons of good luck. It looks to me like you both have covered everything in the guideline.

I'm in the process of trying to figure out my center block. Is it better for the overall RR top for the center to be larger than 12 inches.... say 15"? I'm just curious. I've got several blocks in mind to put up on the wall and see which one speaks to me! LOL! I've read that simple for the center is often good but I don't know about that.

Thanks in advance, everyone, for your questions and answers. The more you post on this thread, the more us newbies will learn!

• Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 642
Points 16,275
Zsofia replied on Mon, Aug 12 2013 5:33 PM

Roxana:

I also want to thank Zsofia and Maggie for helping Barbara while she is recovering. I'm learning daily just how smart and wonderful Barbara is as I attempt to fill her shoes in Fabric Swaps. I wish Zsofia and Maggie tons of good luck. It looks to me like you both have covered everything in the guideline.

I'm in the process of trying to figure out my center block. Is it better for the overall RR top for the center to be larger than 12 inches.... say 15"? I'm just curious. I've got several blocks in mind to put up on the wall and see which one speaks to me! LOL! I've read that simple for the center is often good but I don't know about that.

Thanks in advance, everyone, for your questions and answers. The more you post on this thread, the more us newbies will learn!

Roxana the size of the center block is up to you. Smaller center will "produce" a smaller quilt. I'm working on a 16" center.

Zsofia

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sun, Aug 18 2013 2:33 PM

Zsofia  nd  Mggie ,you all are doing a great job.   Thank you so much . I have seen  nothing so far that is unreasonable . I will try and get on my center here  as I now see it needs to be out by Sept 1st. I will send you my addy thru private Message   Barbara 

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,031
Points 13,120

Looking forward to this RR. I hope Zsofia and I can do half the job you did with the last RR. Send us your info because we added you to the list. ;-)

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,758
Points 66,980
Bonita replied on Sun, Aug 18 2013 3:36 PM

Roxana, I finished my center block today and it's 16 in. The last two RRs I made them 20 in and they come back huge, beautiful but huge. LOL Just waiting for all to sign up and then we can get our groups. 

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 507
Points 10,020
Judi replied on Sun, Aug 18 2013 5:10 PM

I found a block, paper pieced that I really want to make for the center. It should finish at 7"  x  9. Is this too small for the RR?  I don't expect a huge top back. Smaller is fine for me!  

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 642
Points 16,275
Zsofia replied on Sun, Aug 18 2013 7:54 PM

Judi:

I found a block, paper pieced that I really want to make for the center. It should finish at 7"  x  9. Is this too small for the RR?  I don't expect a huge top back. Smaller is fine for me!  

Judi - go for it! There is no minimum size for center block. 

Zsofia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,559
Points 23,645
Susie replied on Mon, Aug 19 2013 10:04 AM

Dang it!  With my machine crapping out, and the one I am using being less than stellar...my original plan for my center has to be scrapped.  Just not enough time to do it all by hand.  I think I'll hold off on it until the next RR so I can get it done properly.

That means I have to come up with an alternative idea on what to do....hmmmm....has to be straight seams (no curves--machine can't handle curves!), and can't do applique on the machine--no way to do a satin stitch or a blanket stitch with this machine.

Hmmm....ideas, ideas, ideas....I'll have to see what I have in my stash that I can use instead....I'm up for a good challenge!

Chicagoland, Illinois

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,415
Points 415,724
gini replied on Mon, Aug 19 2013 1:34 PM

I was getting a bit panicky, because I haven't had time to think about my center.  I had a little free time yesterday waiting on Sam, so I pawed through my practice box and found a block I had made and abandoned, it will work perfectly for this.  Whew, that stress is gone.

gini in north idaho

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,559
Points 23,645
Susie replied on Mon, Aug 19 2013 1:44 PM

gini:

I was getting a bit panicky, because I haven't had time to think about my center.  I had a little free time yesterday waiting on Sam, so I pawed through my practice box and found a block I had made and abandoned, it will work perfectly for this.  Whew, that stress is gone.

Gini--that's a great idea!  I bet I have some unused blocks leftover from something that I can make work.  I'm also leaning towards something quite a bit smaller than before.  I love the large quilts, but am thinking that I want to do something on a slightly smaller scale this time around.  Hmmm...wonder what is in my scrap drawer...

Chicagoland, Illinois

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,365
Points 37,225
Linda replied on Mon, Aug 19 2013 3:50 PM

I don't think I'm signed up for this round robin but I'd like to do it again. I'm a gluten for punishment. I just signed up for a row robin but it doesn't start till Jan.  But I have less than 2 weeks to get a 20" center. OK I can do that......I hope.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,415
Points 415,724
gini replied on Mon, Aug 19 2013 3:55 PM

For some folks, Linda, gluten is a punishment.   :  )

gini in north idaho

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 642
Points 16,275
Zsofia replied on Mon, Aug 19 2013 4:07 PM

Linda:

I don't think I'm signed up for this round robin but I'd like to do it again. I'm a gluten for punishment. I just signed up for a row robin but it doesn't start till Jan.  But I have less than 2 weeks to get a 20" center. OK I can do that......I hope.

Ok. Linda you are in! Please PM me your info! 

Thanks Zsofia

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 343
Points 2,960
Linda replied on Mon, Aug 19 2013 4:11 PM

Zsofia,

Just wondering. Didn't you say there were 25 on the list and told someone else they were on a waiting list. Just trying to get things straight. The more the merrier.

Vacherie, Louisiana

Page 1 of 5 (74 items) 12345Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use