Welcome and Intruduce Yourself

rated by 0 users
This post has 35 Replies | 18 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 634
Points 16,160
Zsofia Posted: Sun, Aug 11 2013 12:53 PM

Hello All I set up this thread to get to know each other a little better while we are preparing to get Round Robin 4 underway.

My name is Zsofia I live in Pittsburgh, Pa. I moved to the US 10 years ago. I grew up in Budapest Hungary. Married to my wonderful husband for 11 years. We have 2 unruly boys ages 9 and 7. I work as a montessori tutor. We are busy so sewing quilting is my quiet time. I learned to quilt 4-5 years ago. I'm a proud self thought quilter. I'm a proclaimed fabric and magazine junkie. My list of "must make quilts" is ever growing. My fabric stash is building up nicely. My favorite fabrics are batiks.

looking forward to meeting all of you!

Zsofia

• Post Points: 110
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,019
Points 12,865

Hello, I'm Maggie. I've been sewing since I was in grade school. Up until 2001 I did primarily garment construction. Then I discovered quilting and was hooked. I have a difficult time finishing a project because I have so many on my list "to do" I couldn't possibly do them in my lifetime!  Hahaha. My plan is to give my two granddaughters (current ages 4 and 5) the quilting "bug!"  That way I can pass my stash of gadgets, sewing machines, fabric, etc. down in the family. My mother is also a "sew-a-holic" and has as much as I do. She is at a stage she just collects but rarely sews any more. She tells me it is my inheritance. LOL I have two grown boys, 35 and 28. Both are married but only the oldest has children  (currently but subject to change at any time). ;-D I work full time as a government field inspector for hazardous and solid waste. I love my job but I love sewing and quilting more. The older I become the more my job gets in the way of my fun. Unfortunately I need my job to support my habit (hobby is interchangeable).  I am re-married (working on 12 years) and my husband has three hobbies; motorcycles, bass fishing and Apple computers/gadgets. As you can read, they are also a little pricey!  Hahaha

aka Grandma Sunshine

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,426
Points 72,090
Karla replied on Sun, Aug 11 2013 5:59 PM

Hi, I'm Karla.  I've been sewing garments since I was in 7th grade, in fact I made the bridesmaid dresses for DD1's wedding.  I retired in 2006 from the post office and tried my hand at quilting, and I was bitten by the bug.  I've been quilting ever since.  I don't proclaim to be good at it, but I really enjoy it and trying new things.  I have two daughters, 35 and 37, who don't sew and don't show any inclination to try their hand at it either.  I currently have 4 grandsons who are a handful and spend a lot of time with me, and am expecting to have my first granddaughter some time in December.  It will be so nice to get to use feminine patterns and girly colors for a change.

I'm looking forward to trying my hand at this round robin and hope I can do justice to everyone's quilts.

• Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,382
Points 24,135
Roxana replied on Sun, Aug 11 2013 7:09 PM

Hello, I'm Roxana. I first learned to quilt over 30 years ago with scissor cutting and piecing by hand (in the days before we knew about rotary cutters in south Arkansas). Then I had more children and went back to work and more or less put it up until I retired from teaching school and other odd jobs I held. I've been back at it for about four or five years. I'm mostly self-taught though I have taken several classes. I love to piece quilts and figure out designs so I'm really looking forward to this round robin experience.

I have 4 children - 1 son, age 34, and 3 daughters, ages 32, 30, and 27. Two of the girls are married and between them, I have 5 grandchildren and 2 foster grandchildren (that I treat as my own). I have been married to my wonderful husband for 13-1/2 years. Together we own a golf club retail and repair store in a town near here. (We live in a golfing community.) I know nothing about golf but I did just start a part-time job helping teach machine embroidery at our local quilt shop.

According to QCA, I've been a member since 2010 but I didn't start being an ACTIVE member until January of this year. I've loved being a part of the Fabric Swap Group as well as many other aspects of QCA. I think this is a wonderful club and enjoy talking with people who share the same interests as I. .... Like Karla, I also hope that I can do justice to everyone's quilts. I know that I will put my heart and soul into it. This will be fun!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,391
Points 19,285

I'm Melissa and I am a quiltaholic. Yes and I hoard fabric and I collect patterns. Oh yes and I collect sewing and quilting tools. OK I'm an addict to sewing and quilting. I've been sewing since I was 8 and quilting for about 3 years. Sewing is my salvation and it relaxes me. I love creating and putting together quilts. I am a self taught quilting but I have taken 3 or 4 classes. Most of what I have learned has been from this site. 

I have 3 grown children that I love and miss very much. My daughter is 36 and lives about 1 1/2 away. She is a computer programmer and a computer expert/geek. I have a son (33) who lives out of state and also a computer geek. And my youngest, a 29 year old son. He teaches in Thailand and is in a mater's program at an international college. He also tutors engilsh. I am so proud of all of them.

I am so looking forward to this next round robin. I was in the last round robin and I had a ball. I hope everyone like what I did on their tops. I plan on having a ball again this time. I can't wait to get started.

Thank you Zsofia and Maggie for stepping in for Barbara. You all are the best.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 342
Points 2,955
Linda replied on Mon, Aug 12 2013 10:34 AM

Hi, I'm Linda from Vacherie in South Louisiana. I live a couple of miles off the west side of the Mississippi River, half way between Baton Rouge and New Orleans. My husband and I have been married 51 years and have lived in this area all our lives. He a retired sugar cane farmer, me from Nicholls State University Library as a systems admin. We have 4 married sons, 8 grandsons, 2 granddaughters. All live nearby--the farthest being about 1 1/2 hrs away, the closest--next door. Between sons, daughters-in-law and grandchildren we have helicopter pilot, engineers, biologiest, accountants, architect, machanic, self-employed construction. WOW, I'm so proud of them. Five grandchildren are still in school, the youngest is 12 yrs old.

I have been sewing since about 8 years old. While raising  my family I made clothing for all of us. Also, window dressings and any decorating around the house. Since the sons have grown, married, etc. I have also done repair work for all. None of my DDIL's sew (except one who in 3 weeks will no longer  be married to  my son-but I love her dearly),she owned her own business, designing window dressing and constructing them.

I started quilting about 7 or 8 years ago. Mostly self-taught from books, mags, computer, with a few classes. Before this I dabbled in painting, but couldn't seem to really get into it. But somehow quilting is the way to express my artistic self. I feel I can combine my art with my sewing. I like the design part of quilting as much as the constructing. Most of my quilting has been straight, but I did take a class to quilt on the long-arm. But I would have to travel an hour to use it and have been chicken to begin.

This will be my 3rd RR and waiting to begin. Also want to thank Zsofia and Maggie for helping Barbara and keeping this going. Hopefully, everything will go smoothly for them.

Vacherie, Louisiana

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 404
Points 8,085
Judi replied on Mon, Aug 12 2013 12:14 PM

Good afternoon. I'm Judi and I live in Bucks County, PA. We are near Philly.  I have been married 38 years and have 3 sons, 37, 33, 28 and a daughter 23.  My two oldest are married and I have one adorable grand daughter. We lost our second son, who was 23, at the WTC.  Although I sewed since I was 5, I really started quilting after some lovely ladies brought my children quilts after we lost our boy.  Those quilts are still cherished by my kids. 

PI used to smock my daughter's dresses until she was 11.  I quilted once in the 70's but really didn't enjoy either tying or hand quilting. I discovered an Eleanor Burns book before my daughter was born and made a few sampler blocks that I used for the pad of her changing table and pillows for her room. I used extra cotton that I had made balloon shades for the windows. Over the next few years when I actually had a few minutes to sew(I taught middle school) I made blocks for pillows and pot holders. 

I now love to quilt and make a lot of quilts in all sizes for gifts and our home. I now must learn to use a long arm as my hobby has gotten awfully expensive b

• Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 634
Points 16,160
Zsofia replied on Mon, Aug 12 2013 5:37 PM

I'm glad to see All of you here! Please remember to send your info to Maggie and me! 

Thanks Zsofia

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 331
Points 3,500
Kristie replied on Tue, Aug 13 2013 7:39 AM

Hello!  I'm Kristie and I live in eastern Iowa with my husband and three year old son.  I have been quilting on and off for 10 years, but I have become far more passionate about it since we moved to Iowa three years ago.  Prior to being a stay at home mom, I taught for 18 years in California (mostly sixth grade). This is my third Round Robin (all of them on the QCA).  It is fun and helps me to try new color ways (I tend to brights, but I've worked with Asian influenced, 30s reproductions and pastels through the round robins).  

Let's have fun!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 686
Points 11,170
Candis replied on Tue, Aug 13 2013 11:56 AM

Hi! My name is Marla.  I live in the Valley of Central California, I have lived here for approx. 8 years.  I am a transplant from Texas.   I live with my Wife of 15 years, we have 3 children and 4 grandchildren.  I have been quilting for over 10 years.  Dabbling in it for another 5.  It started out as a hobby and quickly turned into a passion. I love making quilts for family and friends.  I also do charity quilts to several organizations.   

I am recently semi-retired. I am a Human Rights Attorney.  It is satisfying work, but now I enjoy more free time with my family.  I continue to work only with special cases. I have done several Round Robins, mostly with Guilds, but did do a few with online groups.  I am hoping this one will be as satisfying and successful as those were.   I have lurked on the boards of QCA as a visitor for awhile now. I have followed the previous Round Robins.  The last one went kinda rough,  I am hoping this Robin stays to a schedule, and actually finishes on time.  I am ready to begin and look forward to seeing some lovely work.  

MODESTO, CA.
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 79
Points 1,185
swedeami replied on Wed, Aug 14 2013 7:17 AM

hello everyone - i am karen jones from iowa, retired from union pacific after 40 years and have been a quilter since i was a teenager.  i come from a long line of quilters and my sisters and i do several projects a year together.  i have never been a part of a round robin and am excited!  

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 74
Points 740

My name is KimSue and I was born in Texas.  My dad was military so I didn't stay long (three months to be exact) but then he retired back in Texas and there I have stayed.  I have been married to Beloved for 18 years.  He bought me a sewing machine for my birthday two months after we were married.  I did one watercolor quilt with my best friend at the time and was hooked.  I grew up sewing clothes with my mom so we did the typical sewing of dresses (prom, wedding) but I love quilting.  I home school my four lovely children.   My daughter is 15.  My sons are 17, 12 and 8.  My sons are all special.  I have an epileptic son, an autistic son and a son with a severe speech disorder.  I quilt for my sanity.  I love Round Robins.  This will be my fifth one (second on this site.)  I relish the challenge of them and hope that I will continue to do well.  I have finished my center and am now waiting breathlessly to start.  This should be fun even with the hiccups of the last one.  Can't wait to see what this team will come up with! 

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 634
Points 16,160
Zsofia replied on Wed, Aug 14 2013 10:39 AM

Karen and KimSue - welcome to the group. 

Zsofia

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 79
Points 1,225
Yuriko replied on Thu, Aug 15 2013 3:50 PM

Aloha, I'm Lily.  I live in Hawaii (island of Oahu) but I was born and raised in Los Angeles, CA.  My husband is from Hawaii and we've been married for 27 years.  We have 2 daughters and 2 sons, all in their twenties.  No grandkids yet.  I retired from federal service last year and love retirement life.  I'm busy playing tennis, yoga, learning ukulele, scrapbooking and, of course, sewing.  Strange the house is not cleaner since I retired...

I started sewing clothes for my sister's Barbie doll and my Tammy doll.  I caught the quilting bug about 4 years ago.  I still don't know how to free motion quilt yet so I have about 10 tops waiting for me to learn.  I am a member of the Hawaii Quilt Guild.  It's a wonderful group of quilters of all ages and all walks of life.  I am looking forward to this Round Robin (a first for me) and I hope to do a good job.

Lily

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 634
Points 16,160
Zsofia replied on Fri, Aug 16 2013 8:20 AM

Yuriko:

Aloha, I'm Lily.  I live in Hawaii (island of Oahu) but I was born and raised in Los Angeles, CA.  My husband is from Hawaii and we've been married for 27 years.  We have 2 daughters and 2 sons, all in their twenties.  No grandkids yet.  I retired from federal service last year and love retirement life.  I'm busy playing tennis, yoga, learning ukulele, scrapbooking and, of course, sewing.  Strange the house is not cleaner since I retired...

I started sewing clothes for my sister's Barbie doll and my Tammy doll.  I caught the quilting bug about 4 years ago.  I still don't know how to free motion quilt yet so I have about 10 tops waiting for me to learn.  I am a member of the Hawaii Quilt Guild.  It's a wonderful group of quilters of all ages and all walks of life.  I am looking forward to this Round Robin (a first for me) and I hope to do a good job.

Lily

Lily welcome to the group.

Zsofia

Page 1 of 3 (36 items) 123Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use