Welcome to the Quilts of Valor Group!

rated by 0 users
This post has 76 Replies | 25 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 14
Points 535

Hello!  I am currently serving my country going on 12 years now.  I mainly have supported my fellow troops by being on the bases that maintain the forces overseas.  Currently I am in Turkey and this will be my last overseas assignment.  I am returning to the states next year.  I find much joy and pleasure in supporting my own so I  thought this would be another great avenue to do so.  Sharon thank you for heading this group:)

KaSandra Lee

United States Air Force Medic

• Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 230
Points 6,005
Sharon replied on Fri, Oct 1 2010 12:41 PM

Hi KaSandra. And, thank you so much for serving us! We appriciate all that you do for us. How about telling us more about yourself.. family, favorite quilting projects, etc. Post pictures if you want to. So far, I have submitted 1 quilt to QOVF for long-arm quilting, but haven't received it back yet for binding. I found a very active group in Fayetteville NC about an hour and a half from here, so I am getting involved there, too. Looks like I may be the binding queen of the group. Lately, I've been doing some painting in the house, so the sewing machine is gathering dust! I have fabric for the next QOV project, though. So, I'm ready to go when my sewing room is put back together.

Welcome to the Quilts of Valor Group!

Sharon

• Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 2
Points 115

hi my name dottie and my mom is marty we were wondering if anyone has heard about the under our wings project? we would like to become involved with it but can't find out to much information on it.

thanks

dottie and marty

• Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 230
Points 6,005
Sharon replied on Tue, Nov 16 2010 6:40 PM

dorothy monroe:
we were wondering if anyone has heard about the under our wings project?

Hi Dottie and Marty. I have not heard about it before, but a quick Google search found it on the Quilts of Valor Website. It is highlighted on the Quilts of Valor home page (www.qovf.org). Apparently it is a new program - the web pages are not yet up and running. Thanks for alerting us! I'll search through the last QOVF newsletter to see if they said something about it there.

Sharon

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,031
Points 368,952
Kris replied on Tue, Nov 16 2010 10:56 PM

Hi Dottie,

Jodie mentioned it in this weeks newsletter and there's a blurb about it here on QCA.

Not Ranked
Posts 23
Points 4,045
9533cella replied on Wed, Nov 17 2010 8:29 AM

Good Morning,

I just found this group and had to join. In January of this year I started a Quilts of Valor group called Central MA QOV. We meet a couple of times a month to piece tops and meet a third time  each month to cut and kit patterns for people to piece at home. We have given 7 quilts so far and are in the final stages of gathering 20 quilts to give to residents of a new Veteran Homestead that just opened in Gardner, MA. I've noticed that there are several lines of fabric coming out that have been disigned for QOV. I can't wait to see them in the local quilt shops.

cella

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 230
Points 6,005
Sharon replied on Wed, Nov 17 2010 12:33 PM

Welcome Cella! I am also eager to see the QOV fabrics! I finally found an active QOV group about 1.5 hours from my home. We only meet once a month, but we have a great time working together. We would love to see pictures of your QOV quilts and MA QOV, too!

Sharon

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 1
Points 20

Hello QOV Group -

I am new here but not new to quilting of QOV.  I have been quilting since 1991 and making QOV's for 3 years.  My goals have been 12 each year but most years I fall short.  So far I have completed and sent on 24, one waiting for hand sewing the binding and another waiting for the return from a Long Arm.  I began QOV quilting shortly after my son joined USMC.  After two deployments he will be done his service next year, safe & sound.  

We moved to Vermont 3 years ago to semi-early- retire and have really enjoyed the winters and summers.  Mud season is horrible but taking the good with the bad is part of living anywhere.  

I am a part of QOV mystery, group and a very small sew in group.  We had a display at the Vermont Quilt Festival and had lots of people buy blocks, sign blocks and listen to our words of wisdom on QOV.  It was fun.  

Well, I look forward to being a part of this group also.  

Barbara Roberts

Stowe, VT

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 230
Points 6,005
Sharon replied on Thu, Dec 2 2010 11:01 AM

BarbaraRoberts:
I am new here but not new to quilting of QOV

Welcome Barbara! I'm relatively new to QOV, myself. I've finished 2 quilts, both with a longarmer. But I have 3 waiting in the wings, calling to me. I don't have a military background, but greatly value our service members! They give so much to keep us safe and free. I joined up with a QOV group in a military town about an hour and a half from here. We have a great time each month working and sharing. Isn't it great to know people who share your deep appreciation for the sacrifices our military personnel make?

Do you take pictures of your quilts? We'd love to see pics of your QOVs!!

Sharon

Not Ranked
Posts 23
Points 4,045
9533cella replied on Thu, Dec 30 2010 8:36 AM

I just finished these tops.The string quilt was a group effort. I just assembled the blocks. The other one is Persimmon Quilt's Mystery #15. The sashing was supposed to be blue but I changed it to gold. It was a fun mystery. Right now I'm finishing up a star string quilt. I'm hoping to have it done by Saturday.

cella

• Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,031
Points 368,952
Kris replied on Thu, Dec 30 2010 9:47 AM

Beautiful, Cella. Nice work.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 230
Points 6,005
Sharon replied on Thu, Dec 30 2010 12:49 PM

Beautiful tops, Cella - nice work! Thank you for sharing with us.!

Sharon

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,688
Points 179,413
Marie replied on Thu, Dec 30 2010 3:33 PM

Cella love your MQ will you keep or gift it?  I also like your group quilt, some of the blocks look like attic window.  Is there a pattern available.

Millbury, MA

Not Ranked
Posts 23
Points 4,045
9533cella replied on Thu, Dec 30 2010 4:00 PM

Marie,

Both tops will be finished by Quilts of Valor volunteer long-armers and then will be given to veteran's. The string (group) quilt is made according to the Heartstrings instructions which can be found here: http://heartstringsquiltproject.com/

cella

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 40
Points 1,260
Ruth replied on Tue, Jan 11 2011 9:32 AM

Hello everyone , I have been quilting for QOV for about 2 years now. I think it is wonderful that we can honor our servicemen & thier commitement this way.My closest connection to the military is my Father who served in WWII.I am going to quilt a QOV today.

Page 2 of 6 (77 items) Prev12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use