Show and Tell

rated by 0 users
This post has 31 Replies | 11 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 228
Points 5,930
Sharon Posted: Fri, Jul 2 2010 12:33 PM

What are you working on for either QOV or another charity that donates quilts to our service memebers?

Sharon

• Post Points: 80
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 8
Points 640
Lisa replied on Fri, Jul 9 2010 12:09 AM

Sharon,

I just joined the group -- I'm Lisa Allen in Lubbock, Texas. I'm from a military family -- my Dad was retired-Air Force, I served in the Army, and my oldest daughter served in the Army, too -- so the soldiers and their families are particularly special to me.

I'm working on making embroidered blocks for a group known as Marine Comfort Quilts. This group makes a very distinctive type of quilt for families of fallen soldiers from all branches of service.

I also make quilts to donate to children, mostly for Project Linus. I'm the local coordinator for the Lubbock Chapter of Project Linus and have the privilege of working with many incredibly generous "blanketeers" . We average around 120 blankets, quilts, and afghans each month for the local children's hospitals and other local organizations!

I'm a librarian at a small university so for a few weeks in the summer I'm "free" to quilt, work on my website, and catch up on things. 

I'm looking forward to being a part of this group.

Lisa Allen

Lisa Allen

www.Quilting-in-America.com

• Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 228
Points 5,930
Sharon replied on Fri, Jul 9 2010 6:12 AM

Welcome Lisa! I can see why you have a big heart for our military! Thank you for your service to keep us safe. I'd love to see some pics of your embroidered blocks!

Sharon

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,035
Points 169,743
Marie replied on Fri, Jul 9 2010 11:43 AM

Lisa:
I'm looking forward to being a part of this group

Welcome to this wonderful group Lisa and God Bless you for all your good work.

Millbury, MA

Not Ranked
Posts 33
Points 1,200
Nancy625 replied on Thu, Jul 22 2010 12:33 PM

Thank you and your family for your service.  I'm retired Air Force myself.  When were you in the Army? 

Nancy from Nebraska. 

• Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 8
Points 640
Lisa replied on Sat, Oct 2 2010 8:01 PM

Nancy,

Goodness, the summer whizzed by and I'm back at school (I'm a librarian at a small university), so I've been out of touch for a while.

I was in the Army from 1977-1980 in Mainz, Germany. It was a really tense time during the Cold War, and being in a front-line maintenance company meant we were constantly busy making sure the infantry and mechanized cavalry (isn't that the coolest way to describe tanks and armored personnel carriers?) units we supported were always ready. I absolutely fell in love with Germany and its people.

After returning home and starting college, I tried to get into the Air Force with an ROTC scholarship, only to discover I wasn't tall enough to be an officer. Since I had been tall enough to enlist (4'10") it never even occurred to me that the height requirements were different. Only the government could think that a person who is 5' tall is going to command a lot more authority than someone shorter!

My oldest daughter served in the Army in Germany, too. Now my 15-yr-old son has decided he wants to go to the Naval Academy.

Lisa

Lisa Allen

• Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 8
Points 640
Lisa replied on Sat, Oct 2 2010 8:20 PM

Sharon,

Last month I submitted a quilt top, batting and backing to a longarm quilter to be quilted and then donated to American Hero Quilts ( www.americanheroquilts.com/ ). Someday I hope to have a longarm machine so I can quilt donation quilts for others.

A local church (Lubbock, TX) sends around 3000 handmade denim Christmas stockings filled with goodies to an Air Force base in Korea every year. I just finished making my tiny contribution of 30 of them. I put a little yellow ribbon on every one I make. A local denim factory donates the fabric and everybody makes them the same size (big enough for CDs to fit in). Organizations and church groups get involved and by the end of October they've got boxes ready to ship.

Right now most of my quilting is done for Project Linus. I'm the local coordinator (and webmaster) so that keeps me pretty busy. Quilting for kids and soldiers (and their families) are my passions.

Lisa

Lisa Allen

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,802
Points 352,062
Kris replied on Sat, Oct 2 2010 8:38 PM

Very nice Lisa. Thanks for all you do and for sharing with us.

Not Ranked
Posts 33
Points 1,200

Lisa,

Glad to hear from you.  Thank you and your daughter for your service.  I wish your son all the luck in his endeavors. 

I have always thought mechanized cavalry was a cool name.  While never stationed in Germany, I found the country beautiful and the people great. 

I was enlisted in the Air Force from 72 to 95.  There are a lot of stories in those 23 years.  I had 11 assignments, including Kunsan Korea, Johnston Island, and Florennes Belgium.  When I joined the Air Force in ’72, they required me to be 5’ tall which I just barely made.  It was probably a stretch even then.  Did you apply for an Army ROTC scholarship? 

When I was in Basic Training they announced they were going to open up some non-traditional fields to women.  I spent my first four years in a traditional field then changed into the Engineering Technician Field which is what I did for 23 years. 

Talk to you soon,  Nancy

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 228
Points 5,930
Sharon replied on Wed, Oct 13 2010 11:00 AM

Lisa:
Quilting for kids and soldiers (and their families) are my passions.

Lisa, your quilt and stockings are wonderful! Thank you for sharing your giving heart with us.  This morning, I'm heading down to Kapaia to my favorite quilt store, the Kapaia Stitchery. We are winding up a 2 week vacation on Kauai HI - so I have mostly been turning into a very relaxed puddle in paradise. Today, I'll go without my DH who understands he may not see me again for hours. He took video of the store which I will post after I get home. I have better things to do in paradise than sit at the computer! They have shelf after shelf after shelf of batiks (my favorite fabrics)! So, I'll at least select main border fabrics for a few QOV's.

Happy quilting, everyone. Aloha!

Sharon

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 228
Points 5,930
Sharon replied on Sat, Oct 23 2010 1:55 PM

Here is a "new" old design of mine, re-done in patriotic colors. It's called Peace at Home. The fabrics are from a collection called Midnight Garden by Irresistable Indigo. You can see it easily on the Connecting Threads website. I downloaded the fabric swatches and imported them into EQ7.

Sharon

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,035
Points 169,743
Marie replied on Sun, Oct 24 2010 3:05 PM

Sharon of Raleigh:
re-done in patriotic colors

Sharon, I'm ashamed to say I haven't worked on my quilt of valor, it's in my to do pile along with everything else.  I have no excuse, I just keep on buying fabrics and patterns and never do anything much with them.  I hope this changes soon, I don't feel very good about myself for draging my feet on this one though.  You have made many of these, God Bless you.  This one is as beautiful as the others.

Millbury, MA

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 228
Points 5,930
Sharon replied on Mon, Oct 25 2010 7:47 AM

Marie:
You have made many of these

Marie, I think that much of the fun of quilting is playing with patterns and fabric. If that's the part of quilting you can work in right now, then enjoy it. Actually, I've finished only 2 quilts of valor, and have a notebook full of patterns and plans, some of which I have shared here. My latest post is the EQ7 image. Life seems to have other plans just when I am ready to sew. Oh, well. To keep me satisfied that I am contributing, I've been participating in a "local" QOV sewing group. It's 1.5 hr from home, but they are committed and active. We bring our machines and work for 3-4 hours once a month. Yesterday, I worked on the binding for someone else's quilt, and brought 2 home for the handwork. So, even though my sewing area is off limits right now, I'm working.

Sharon

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,035
Points 169,743
Marie replied on Tue, Oct 26 2010 6:12 PM

Sharon of Raleigh:
 I think that much of the fun of quilting is playing with patterns and fabric

I guess you are right Sharon, I am enjoying playing right now.  God Bless you for all you do for other people including trying to make me feel better about my non quilting at this time, you are very sweet.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,035
Points 169,743
Marie replied on Tue, Oct 26 2010 6:19 PM

Lisa:
Since I had been tall enough to enlist (4'10") it never even occurred to me that the height requirements were different

Lisa, I can't believe another munchkin in our midst!  And I mean that lovingly.  There aren't too many of us under 5 footers on site buth there's a few, me included.  How dare anyone to think because of our height we can't do certain things, we can all do whatever we have a mind to and then some!  OK I'm off my soapbox now and would like to thank you and your family for your service to our country and also for all that you do for charity, God Bless you.

Millbury, MA

Page 1 of 3 (32 items) 123Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use