QOV Split Star Quilt by Mary B. Hayes - a project

rated by 0 users
This post has 36 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 228
Points 5,945
Sharon replied on Mon, Jul 12 2010 11:20 AM

Judy Johnson:
I sorted my stash yesterday, and found a few fabrics that will work, but I'll need to buy more at the LQS.

Judy, I hope you will share your fabric selections with us! I used the rotary method for cutting the pieces. Like you, I put the pattern into EQ7 and created a version with a slightly larger block. I trimmed the resulting squares to the pattern size. I'm a bit anal - so it is satisfying for me to be able to put the patches together with edges that line up perfectly!

Sharon

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,262
Points 173,163
Marie replied on Mon, Jul 12 2010 11:43 AM

Judy Johnson:
I did the estimation using EQ7 and it's the same amount of fabric

Judy, thanks for doing that for me, I can get started now.

Millbury, MA

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 521
Points 10,009
Jean replied on Tue, Jul 13 2010 9:41 AM

Sharon     I've had the Split Star pattern for over a year now and actually sitting on my quilt table for at least six months!  I didn't originally purchase for a QOV quilt but for my sons that both are USAF.  Now maybe with I will actually get around to making this quilt (X 3)?  I'll have to post a pic of the QOV that I completed about a month ago and am waiting to put on my LA.   I love the fabrics that you have chosen for your Split Star and your block looks great!!  BTW, for those of you that don't want to use Thangles you can always use the Omnigrid #96 triangle ruler or the Fons & Porter triangle ruler instead, that is what I prefer.  Just a suggestion.

Patch Up America.....Make A Quilt

• Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 228
Points 5,945
Sharon replied on Tue, Jul 13 2010 1:55 PM

Jean, thanks for the tip for making HSTs. I seem to always do things the hardest way I can find, and this will make the triangles much easier!

Sharon

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 228
Points 5,945
Sharon replied on Fri, Jul 23 2010 7:52 AM

I have finished my Split Star top! I'll post a picture as soon as I get a picture of it. I've also been working on my QOV Journal that will be given to the receiver along with the quilt. So far, it has information about why I am doing this, the basics of the quilting process (most people have no clue what goes into making a quilt), some information about me and my family, and of course, my personal blessings for the receipient. Next step, working with a longarmer!

Sharon

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 521
Points 10,009
Jean replied on Fri, Jul 23 2010 9:24 AM

Sharon of Raleigh:
I have finished my Split Star top! I'll post a picture as soon as I get a picture of it.

Sharon ~  Way to go!  Can't wait to see picture and would love to hear a bit of what you put in your journal as far as the basics of the quilting process...........

Patch Up America.....Make A Quilt

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 228
Points 5,945
Sharon replied on Fri, Jul 23 2010 12:31 PM

Jean:
Sharon ~  Way to go!  Can't wait to see picture and would love to hear a bit of what you put in your journal as far as the basics of the quilting process...........

I'm eager to get a picture, too. About the only place to do it is draped over something or on the deck. It has been in the high 90's here for weeks on end, so we stay inside as much as we can. I'll figure something out. I've just posted the full text of my QOV journal on my simple little blog (http://sharonsquiltedlife.blogspot.com/), including the quilting process. Let me know if I missed something.

Sharon

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,457
Points 361,872
Kris replied on Fri, Jul 23 2010 1:12 PM

Great blog Sharon. I like how you describe the process for a non quilter.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 228
Points 5,945
Sharon replied on Fri, Jul 23 2010 2:21 PM

Here is a picture of the finished top. I've just sent the email off to QOVF for the longarm quilter contact info!

Sharon

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,262
Points 173,163
Marie replied on Fri, Jul 23 2010 3:10 PM

Sharon of Raleigh:
Here is a picture of the finished top

Sharon, this is absolutely gorgeous!!!!!  Great job.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,735
Nana replied on Sat, Jul 24 2010 10:41 PM

Sharon

Your quilt is beautiful and your blog is awesome.  I really like your journal entry.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 228
Points 5,945
Sharon replied on Sun, Jul 25 2010 8:09 AM

Nana:
Your quilt is beautiful and your blog is awesome.  I really like your journal entry.

Thank you Nana. You always have such supportive and enouraging words!

Sharon

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 228
Points 5,945
Sharon replied on Sat, Jul 31 2010 11:24 AM

Have you made progress with your Quilt of Valor? Any plans materializing?

Yesterday, I sent my QOV to the longarmer referred to me by QOVF. We talked by email and on the phone, and agreed on who was going to do what, and I sent the top and backing off to her yesterday. She has 4 other QOV's in her studio now, so she is dedicated to the work of the foundation. Time to find a pattern I like for the next one!

Happy quilting!

Sharon

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 228
Points 5,945
Sharon replied on Sun, Aug 15 2010 11:47 AM

Hi everyone. Just checking in with you and see what you've been up to lately. I haven't heard back from the longarmer who has my quilt top - but mine was backed up behind her regular business and several other QOV that she already had. So, meantime I finished quilting on a top I had finished in June, had my machine tuned up, and shopped for the next QOV. I chose Not So Top Secret, by Alycia of Alycia Quilts. See below.

I also talked to Kate Meyers of Quilts of Valor Foundation - a regional coordinator there. She confirmed that many guilds and QOV groups make and gather quilts and then arrange with a nearby military base for the presentations. It is also ok to find a worthy recipient yourself if you only have a few quilts ready. She suggested speaking to guilds and service groups (like Rotary or Exchange Club, etc) and soliciting recipients and even money for supplies. There aren't any QOV groups in my neck of the woods, so some bush-beating is a great idea. I'll keep you informed.

Meantime, let us know what you've been up to, even if it isn't related to QOV.

Here is my next top - the fabrics are brighter than this image. Maybe my flash didn't go off.

Sharon

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,457
Points 361,872
Kris replied on Sun, Aug 15 2010 3:26 PM

I love the fabrics and the new pattern Sharon. There aren't any QOV groups in this area either but I'll talk to the ladies at the LQS and see if they'd like to be involved. They do a lot for local charities.

Page 2 of 3 (37 items) Prev123Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use