Welcome to the Quilts of Valor Group!

rated by 0 users
This post has 76 Replies | 25 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 228
Points 5,945
Sharon Posted: Wed, Jun 30 2010 4:23 PM

Welcome to the QOV group! I'm excited we have a place to share the process of making quilts for our valient service men and women. I heard about the Quilts of Valor Foundation a couple of weeks ago, and had to get involved. I'm not from a military family, and don't have family in the military. I do, however, deeply appreciate the commitment and sacrifice of our service personnel! I'm here for some fun and fellowship and to make quilts to honor our troops.

Sharon

• Post Points: 110
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 228
Points 5,945
Sharon replied on Tue, Jul 6 2010 9:11 AM

Let me introduce myself. I'm Sharon of Raleigh - your moderator. I'll be following all of the discussions and making additions and changes to the group pages as they are needed.

I'm retired after nearly 50 years of working, and have been quilting for about 2 1/2 years. I like to design my own very simple lap quilt designs so I can complete and enjoy them quickly. about 2 weeks ago, I discovered the Quilts of Valor Foundation and just had to get involved. I'm now working on the group avatar quilt: QOV Split Star by Mary B. Hayes. I'm to the point of cutting the patches and hope my quilt will be a blessing to whomever receives it!

Sharon

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,280
Points 173,388
Marie replied on Tue, Jul 6 2010 1:43 PM

Hi Sharon, I bought my fabric over this weekend and will be making the Split Star pattern.  I also wish all our millitary blessings and a special blessing for the recipient of the quilt I make. 

The first 4 are the blocks; next 2 are the sashing and corner stones; last on the right border and binding. 

Millbury, MA

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 228
Points 5,945
Sharon replied on Tue, Jul 6 2010 4:01 PM

Oh, Marie! These fabrics will make a beautiful quilt!

Sharon

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,280
Points 173,388
Marie replied on Tue, Jul 6 2010 4:14 PM

Thank you Sharon.  I hope I can do it justice.

Millbury, MA

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 228
Points 5,945
Sharon replied on Tue, Jul 6 2010 4:25 PM

Marie:

Thank you Sharon.  I hope I can do it justice.

Did I tell you that there is a QOV Split Star discussion thread (I retired and so did my memory!)? Anyway, I posted my fabrics and status there.

Sharon

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,465
Points 362,017
Kris replied on Tue, Jul 6 2010 4:47 PM

Sharon,

Thanks for taking the time to set up and moderate this group. I really want to participate. I worry that my quilt won't be liked but I'll work on the pattern.

I've downloaded it. Not sure when I'll get started though.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 228
Points 5,945
Sharon replied on Tue, Jul 6 2010 7:39 PM

Kris, welcome! I believe that any quilt given from the heart is liked and is a blessing to the one receiving it.

Sharon

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 589
Points 5,919
Bonnie replied on Tue, Jul 6 2010 10:56 PM

What a wonderful program for our BRAVE and CARING soldiers.  I, too, joined this group and hope that I can do it proud.  I have some friends and a couple of family members in the military.  While I am looking for the lite, med and dark values tomorrow, I will be getting out all the patriotic fabric I have (and I know I have lots!!) and will download pattern and get busy.  Will be slow at first, as I am finishing up a few projects/need to quilt 2 quilts that I have entered in our fair.  They are due a week from this Saturday.  After that, I am free as a bird to do whatever.  I am sooo looking forward to working with everyone again.  I really do LOVE this group.

Bonnie

Bonnie, NorCal

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 228
Points 5,945
Sharon replied on Wed, Jul 7 2010 7:19 AM

Bonnie:
What a wonderful program for our BRAVE and CARING soldiers.  I, too, joined this group and hope that I can do it proud.

Welcome, Bonnie. Please check the page on the QOV Split Star quilt. If you don't have a Thangles, the sizes of the squares and triangles are posted there. Happy Shopping!! Be sure to post your pics on the QOV Split Star discussion thread.

Sharon

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 335
Points 11,972

Sharon, Thank you for starting this group. I haven't decided yet whether to make the split star pattern or something else. I don't use Thangles, so I will either modify the size or make a different pattern.

I don't have any direct connection to anyone in the military, but I respect their dedication, and want to honor the wounded soldiers. I've made five quilt tops for QofV, but this time I'm going to make the whole quilt.

Judy J.

Nambe, New Mexico

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 228
Points 5,945
Sharon replied on Wed, Jul 7 2010 11:37 AM

Judy Johnson:
I don't use Thangles, so I will either modify the size or make a different pattern.

Judy - there are cutting instructions to make the Split Star triangles without a Thangles. They are on the page: The QOV Split Star Project

You can join the group even if you are making a different pattern. We will all help and encourage each other as we merrily quilt away.

Sharon

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 33
Points 1,200
Nancy625 replied on Thu, Jul 22 2010 12:28 PM

I'm Nancy from Nebraska.  I want to make quilts for Quilts of Valor.  I'm finishing a UFO now is intended for a quilt of valor.  I'm looking forward to making more.  I'm retired Air Force and recently retired from my second career.  I want to get some UFOs done and make Quilts of Valor.  I have been quilting since about '90, most of those quilts went to my nieces and nephews.  I'm currently one master's degree, and a high school graduation behind.  My nephew recently became a father so I need to get started on the baby's kids quilt.  I give the them a kids quilt, a high school graduation quilt, and  a bachelor's degree quilts.  Only one of them has completed a Master's but I will make a quilt for any higher degrees.   

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 228
Points 5,945
Sharon replied on Thu, Jul 22 2010 1:03 PM

Nancy625:
I'm finishing a UFO now is intended for a quilt of valor.  I'm looking forward to making more.

Nancy, welcome, welcome! This week, I finished my first QOV top - the Split Star by Mary B. Hayes. It is the one used for our group avatar. As soon as I get a picture of it, I'll post it for all to see. Please be sure to read all of the Pages - there is a lot of info about QOV, their requirements for quilts (size, materials, label, etc.), and the process of donating. Check out the QOV Split Star project forum, too. I've been quilting for only 2.5 years, and with a very small family to give quilts to, I now need a reason to quilt. QOV is that reason!

Sharon

Not Ranked
Posts 33
Points 1,200
Nancy625 replied on Thu, Jul 22 2010 1:47 PM

Thanks.  That split star pattern looks like fun.  I've read the information and e-mailed the regional coordinator.   I have 8 nieces and nephews and 6 great nieces and nephews.  They keep me busy.  Since I retired (for the second time) I'm getting caught up.  Talk to you soon,  Nancy

Page 1 of 6 (77 items) 12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use