Anyone else scrambling because their fabric choices turned out to be not-so-good?

rated by 0 users
This post has 17 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,345
Points 28,435

calicoquilter:
I ended up adding a thin border inside the outer wide one which carried one of my colors out to the edge and unified the design.

Love how your fabrics blend. The pink border sure brings everything together.

I have used narrow borders often to bring my accent color out.  I did this with my MQ4 (which I have yet to photograph and post).  I used peach colored triangles in the blocks My first border is a 1 inch border of green from the blocks, next 1/2" peach border then a wide border of my dark.  This brought all fabrics except the light out as a frame around the center. (I almost added the light, but figured that would be too busy.)  Hopefully will post picture soon but have to wait for the rain to stop so I can lay it on the lawn.  If I take the picture in the house I will have to move some furniture to lay it out.  We haven't had rain for so long, that I won't complain about the delay.

Marsha - Western New York

• Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 789
Points 20,020
Carol replied on Tue, Aug 9 2011 8:27 PM

When I laid out my finished blocks into rows, I did not like the plain 6" blocks, I had chosen a paisley for that number fabric, and I love paisley best of all!  But in this case, it just didn't look right.  No one to ask, except DH - he hesitantly asked "are these sewn together yet?"  I said, no, I want to know what you think of the arrangement - and he said the paisley squares didn't seem to go with it - same as I thought!  So I used the dull gold fabric for the squares - it had been intended to be used for binding, but I think it is too light for a binding, I always like it to be darker than the last border in the quilt, and my last border is very dark - fortunately, I have enough of it to also make the binding, so all is well.  I think this is the first time I have ever changed a fabric in a mystery after it was almost done!

• Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 789
Points 20,020
Carol replied on Tue, Aug 9 2011 8:30 PM

PS to the above post - this closeup doesn't show the plain square at all, sorry - have to look in media to see it!

• Post Points: 5
Page 2 of 2 (18 items) Prev12
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use