cutting piece H

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 55
claudianne Posted: Tue, Jul 12 2011 11:48 PM

In part two, when it comes to cutting piece H, it says, "48 template H (see Step 1)."

We haven't precut anything for cutting this, right? I am planning to foundation piece and will cut 2.75" strips to use. Does this sound right to everybody? 

Thank you!

Claudia

• Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 49
Points 830

That sounds like what I did.  I foundation pieced those little squares. First I cut strips at least 2.75". Then I rough cut the strips into pieces a little larger than the templates by using one H template placing it on the strip and flipping it up and down as I cut along the strip (to minimize wasted fabric), leaving extra fabric around each edge so it would be easier to place on the foundation. Then  I did the same thing with the G/Gr templates.Then, when I sewed each piece to  the foundation I trimmed the seam to 1/4 inch before attaching the next piece. (Did that make sense?)

• Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 55

Thank you, Shoshannah! What you describe is what I plan(ned) to do. Good to know I'm on the right track.

Claudia

Not Ranked
Posts 15
Points 155
AnnieBikes replied on Fri, Jul 15 2011 11:37 AM

I was at the AQS quilt show in Knoxville this week and bought Deb Tucker's "V Block Ruler" and came home and made all those "pointy" blocks so easily!  This is not a plug for her, but that demo at the show was the kicker for me to purchase it!  I also got her flying geese ruler, as I am making a block of the month that uses lots of geese shapes in unique ways.  I came late into the mystery, so used the packaged fabrics "summer" window and am so very happy with them.  Color is not my forte' and I was glad to know that, for a mystery, someone else knew what fabrics to use!  This has been so much fun for me.  I loved seeing all the photos of others' fabrics.  Thanks so much to all who organized this mystery!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 269
Points 5,680
kwiltnkats replied on Wed, Jul 20 2011 11:46 AM

Claudia,

Sorry not to get back to you sooner.  You are on the correct track with Piece H and no before this there hasn't been anything cut for this unit. 

Thanks Shoshannah for your well written advice :)!

Sandi, aka kwiltnkats

Online Host

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

I used the V Block ruler also and loved it! It was the first time I used it and the pieces come out perfectly! How does she do it?! I have completed both steps and am anxiously awaiting the third. Three of my friends are doing it also. Our fabrics are all very different from one another. I can't wait to see the final step.

My friend did the last mystery and I was so jealous when it was done that i have been dtermined to complete this one!

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use