Questions About Part 1 - Scrappy Cutting and Sewing

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 269
Points 5,680
kwiltnkats Posted: Mon, Apr 11 2011 8:39 AM

Questions about the part should be asked on this thread.  Hope you are having fun!  Make sure you post your finished Part 1 units/sets in the Group's Media page.

Online Host

• Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 49
Points 830

Hi there! So I've begun cutting and here's my first question!  (BTW, I am not doing a scrappy version, but I think this question is still pertinent ...)

Because I don't know how the remainder of each fabric is going to be used, I am uncertain about how to position my cuts for part 1 so I don't accidentally end up with the remaining fabric being in an unsuitable size for the cuts to follow in Parts 2 and 3! (I bought the exact amounts of fabric listed in the pattern so I have no margin for error.)

Strips of 40" long I can understand, just cut from selvage to selvage. But what about the squares and rectangles? How do I position them?

Thank you! :) Shoshannah

• Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 269
Points 5,680
kwiltnkats replied on Tue, Apr 12 2011 12:10 AM

Hi Shoshannah,

Selvage to selvage for the squares and rectangles too.

Sandi, aka kwiltnkats

Online Host

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 28
Points 405
Sharon replied on Thu, May 5 2011 1:42 AM
I'm wanting to try a scrappy version - any suggestions on how I should go about choosing my fabrics. Was wondering if I should make my fabric 3 nonscrappy, maybe a black or dark tone-on-tone fabric to try and tie everything together? Any suggestions? I'm new to scappy quilting but need to start using up all my scraps before I can allow myself to buy more fabric ;-)
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 269
Points 5,680

Hi Sharon,

Did you read my blog post Introduction?  It walks you through my project that has #3(controlled scrappy), #5 and #9 scrappy.  Can't say more for fear of giving away the mystery!  I'd love to have you in on the Quilt-Along fun!  Always great to use up stash!

Sandi, aka kwiltnkats

Online Host

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 28
Points 405
Sharon replied on Sun, May 8 2011 11:09 AM

HI Sandi,

Thanks, and no I hadn't seen your blog posts, I just dived straight into the discussion groups hoping to find everything I needed to know there. I will now read your blog posts first and then only refer to the discussion groups.

Thanks for the help, hopefully I'll get round to digging out some fabric for this soon.

Regards

Sharon

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use