Questions About Part 1 - Introduction

rated by 0 users
This post has 23 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 269
Points 5,680
kwiltnkats Posted: Tue, Apr 5 2011 10:32 PM

If you have a question about Part 1 - Introduction use this discussion thread to ask your question.

Online Host

• Post Points: 110
Not Ranked
Posts 26
Points 720
Marcia replied on Wed, Apr 6 2011 9:00 AM

Oops.....I posted my question under the wrong section.  Sorry for the repeat, but here is my question in hopefully the correct place!

I have not received my May/June issue in the mail yet!  I wish the subscribers would get their magazines before it hits the news stand instead of the reverse.  Can you post the Introduction with fabric requirements so I can select my fabrics?

Marcia

• Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 269
Points 5,680

Marcia,

The Quilt-Along works with the magazine.  The May/June issue is on its way to subscribers now.  I know you're excited to get going...the wait will be worth it!

Sandi, aka kwitlnkats

Online Host

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 52
Points 830

I"m not familiar with how this works so could you fill me in on the basics please.  Am I supposed to already have the first cuts done, do we go step by step etc.  Total novice at Mystery Quilting.

Janjo

• Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 269
Points 5,680

You will need the Quiltmaker Magazine pattern May/June Part 1 of the Mystery for the fabric requirements.  You should be deciding now what fabrics you'll use for your project.  Based on your fabric choice you will either follow the Magazine pattern for cutting or deviate with what I will be presenting (a scrappy way) in the Quilt-Along.  The Quilt-Along will share the deviations for Part 1 on Monday 4/11.  There is a total of 3 parts that will be released over the coming weeks.

Sandi, aka kwiltnkats

Online Host

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 53
Points 1,070

Hi Marcia,

Thanks for your question. I'm one of the Quiltmaker editors. This seems like a good time to explain the complexities of this part of the magazine business. :)

Subscribers are actually supposed to get their issues well before they hit newsstands. For instance, subscriber copies for May/June mailed on March 29. Issues are not supposed to go onto the newsstand until April 12, but sometimes when the magazines arrive at retail businesses, the people who stock the shelves go ahead and put them out before the date. Unfortunately this is not something we can control, and that's why sometimes subscribers see issues on newsstands before they arrive in the mail.

I agree wholeheartedly with Sandi--I know it's hard to wait but I think the wait will be worth it! Thanks for your patience and have a great time with the project.

Kind Regards,

Diane Harris

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10
Banana replied on Thu, Apr 7 2011 11:40 AM

I don't have a question, I just want to say I love Debbie Caffrey's mysteries! This is going to be so much fun, I can't wait to see everyones quilt at the end of this mysteries. Thank you.  

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 52
Points 830

If you haven't seen them yet, I've posted my fabrics on the Mystery Quilt Media Page.  I have a question about the fabrics I've chosen....I've selected the large striped fabric to be #4 as it seems to be cut in strips which I think will add a lot of variety to my quilt.  However, not knowing what the rest of the pieceing will go like , I'm worried now that this won't work.  In your opinion would I be wise to change my fabrics. 

I posted this question to you elsewhere, can't find it and not sure where.  Since I'd like an answer before I start cutting thought I should repost so forgive me if you've already ready this message.

JanJo

Not Ranked
Posts 26
Points 720
Marcia replied on Fri, Apr 8 2011 9:15 PM

Thank you for the response!  It is nice to know that people really read the posts and take the time to explain.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 269
Points 5,680

JanJo,

I've left a comment on your fabric selections in the Group's Media page.

Sandi, aka kwiltnkats

Online Host

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 52
Points 830

The strips are 2 3/8" -2 5/8 wide and I have a yard and a half of the fabric.  You think that sould suffice?

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 269
Points 5,680

I think the stripe is too wide.  Unless you were thinking of fussy cutting in a way that took part of one stripe and part of the one next to it where you'd have a little of two stripes in your Four Patch.  If the stripes are horizontal to the selevage you'd want to cut your pieces WOF.  A bit worried about the stripe's width in that you'd loose the stripe due to the size of the pieces the pattern calls for.

Sandi, aka kwiltnkats 

Online Host

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 52
Points 830

I'vee posted my section 1 pieces to our media page.  I'm excited abot how the 4 patch pieces came out.  I'm hoping that the variety of pieces adds to the quilt pattern rather than detracts.  We shall see once it's all together.  Have you had a chance to look at them  as yet?

JanJo

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 269
Points 5,680

JanJo,

I'll check them out now.  I'll leave you a comment :).

Sandi, aka kwiltnats

Online Host

Not Ranked
Posts 26
Points 720
Marcia replied on Tue, Apr 12 2011 10:40 PM

Yeah, I received my magazine in the mail and am selecting fabric from my stash.  How will a novelty print of frogs work for fabric #8?  I will try to post pictures.

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 12Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use