Anyone else scrambling because their fabric choices turned out to be not-so-good?

rated by 0 users
This post has 17 Replies | 7 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 49
Points 830
Shoshannah Posted: Sat, Jul 30 2011 8:48 PM

Couldn't resist looking at the reveal on-line, though I haven't received my latest QM... Aack?!

Of the 4 fabrics just coming into play, two of my blind choices went woefully awry. My number 6 green tone-on-tone looks bilious; and worse -- my numer 8 roses and musical staffs have a grey background that doesn't go at all, and the dark roses compete dreadfully with the center of the quilt.

Feeling like a cheater, I ran to my stash and found some much nicer choices. As long as I'm "cheating," I may change fabric 9 binding as well...

Not sure what I've learned from this, but I'm still having fun and I will have a very pretty quilt when I'm done!

• Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,822
Points 248,574
Barbara replied on Sun, Jul 31 2011 5:14 AM

Shoshannah, I hope mine is all gonna work  together , I haven't check to see, N o reason to feel like a cheater ,  Sandi reveal it here  is her blog .. Just waiting for my mag, to show up ..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060

I am with ya all the way, if you didn't like the fabrics you fist chose, it is perfectly OK to change your mind. WE ARE WOMEN.. I have just seen the reveal and love love love the look Sandi has, but remember she created it.. I'm going to check out my choices right now to see if I have to change anything. I do have two chosen as alternates, for this exact reason. Happy Sewing everyone.

Not Ranked
Posts 49
Points 830

LOL :)

• Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 269
Points 5,680

You are certainly not cheating!  When everyone showed their fabric selections I did what I felt I could to provide comments, of course not seeing the fabrics and MOSTLY not wanting to give away any of the Mystery I had to be a bit discrete (wink).  Yep I did know the outcome, but it was Debbie Caffrey's design.  My fabric selection had an edge, I was committed to my fabric selections when the first blog post went live, so the possibility still existed until my Part 3 was assembled.  No big loss in my mind though; another Quiltmaker pattern that suits your fancy to use your "won't work fabrics" is sure to be coming your way.

Sandi, aka kwiltnkats 

Online Host

Not Ranked
Posts 49
Points 830

Thank you all so much for your encouragement! Sandi, your guidance has been great! My psychic abilities weren't quite up to picking the perfect fabrics, and It's interesting to see how such lovely fabrics need the proper placement in a quilt in order to work. You are absolutely right, my "won't work fabrics" will not go to waste! This is my first mystery quilt, and it has been a really fun, learning experience. I'll be sure and post my (not!) cheating quilt top picture. Can't wait til my magazine arrives here in the San Francisco Bay area.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,657
Points 136,077

Yippee I picked up the mag today at wally world

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,822
Points 248,574
Barbara replied on Fri, Aug 5 2011 2:21 AM

Still waiting for mine to show up in Mail   ,Wish it would get here ... Oh  and good luck Leslie,,Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,657
Points 136,077

Well I  am going to have to rethink some of my fabric, set some of it together last night, and I am not liking it at all :(

[Ava, Missouri

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 30
Points 665
Kellie replied on Sun, Aug 7 2011 11:21 AM

I'm thinking I may add a little coordinating extra border to make it blend a little better.  My number 6 also looks odd and seems to need something to tie it in with the rest of the fabric.  Haven't got to fabric 8 and 9 yet, but i am hoping they will work! 

MN Kellie - By the banks of Highway 35, south of the Cities.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 269
Points 5,680

Kelli,

Anxious to see what your #8 Fabric looks like.  Lay it out BEFORE you cut.  Take a picture if you can and make your decision.  Unless you are fortunate enough to have a big design wall and room to stand away from it a bit.  #9 will be apparent once #8 is decided!

Where would you add a coordinating extra border?  What number of fabric (using the numbers of the mystery) would you think to use?  Perhaps the #6 to tie it in?

Sandi, aka kwiltnkats

Online Host

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 59
Points 2,395

I ended up adding a thin border inside the outer wide one which carried one of my colors out to the edge and unified the design.  I also used the outer border fabric in the center of my star blocks, which made the quilt more cohesive.  All in all, I'm pleased with the results, but I fear it was blind luck that guided my fabric choices!

• Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 269
Points 5,680

Calicoquilter,

Your Secret Window looks great.  I like how you brought your Fabric #6 into an additional border and your change to the star (Block Z) centers.   Great job.  Be sure to post this photo in the Media Page and QCAs Show & Tell with a Quiltmaker Pattern tag.  Its possible another of our group members may find your approach works well for them too.  Thanks so much for sharing.

Sandi, aka kwiltnkats

Online Host

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,657
Points 136,077

Calicoquilter, very pretty

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,822
Points 248,574
Barbara replied on Tue, Aug 9 2011 6:02 PM

Beautiful job. way to take charge of your own quilt..barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 12Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use