Part 2 quarter square triangles

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 105
Points 1,300
Willie L Posted: Thu, Jun 9 2011 10:01 AM

2 quilty friends and I had an all sewing get together yesterday for the mystery.When we sewed the 1/4 sq,triangles to the 4 patches,we all had a seam allowance of at least 1/2 inch on al 4 sides.Now undecided should we trim them down to have 1/4 inch seams or not.When we measured the block were 7 inches sq if we trim theywill be 6 1/2.Anyone else have this problem?

GA Quilter

• Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Thu, Jun 9 2011 12:21 PM

Willie,no mine came out a little under 61/2 ins  but it was close enough that I'm not gonna worry about it ..I"d just go ahead and trim them .Barbara..

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 49
Points 830

Yes, my part 2 squares all seem to be a little large, about 6-3/4 inches! This IS a mystery, since my part 1 squares were all barely 6-1/2. I think if I don't trim and sew everything together very carefully, the "Mystery" in my "Secret Window" quilt is going to refer to a window in the Winchester Mystery House!

To help me with this, I went to my LQS yesterday and bought a wonderful-looking 6-1/2 Square Ruler (Precision Trimmer 6). So I am getting a tool out of this :)

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Sun, Jun 12 2011 1:32 AM

Now see there was a good reason why your blocks were alittle off ,they knew  you need a new toy..LOL   Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 49
Points 830

LOL :)

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 269
Points 5,680

Willie L,

The blocks need to finish at 6.5" or you'll run into more probelms at assembly.  Seems odd that three of you would end up with the same results.  Did one person do all your cutting OR perhaps one ruler to measure the cut?  I'll bet you had fun with your friends as I always do when sewing with mine.

Sandi, aka kwiltnkats

Online Host

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use