Who's Going to Come Along for the Quilt-Along?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 59 Replies | 26 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
269 Posts
Points 5,680
kwiltnkats posted on Mon, Mar 21 2011 5:56 PM

Hello to everyone who's come to participate and watch as I assemble Secret Window by Debbie Caffrey.  I'll be hosting this three part mystery quilt-along here on QCA.  Feel free to comment and ask any question that either I or the Quiltmaker staff can help you with.  There will be a place to post pictures of your project as you go.  Won't this be fun to show off your project and see other projects--a real quilt-along don't you think?  So are you with me?  Sure hope so since the fun is about to begin...

Online Host

• | Post Points: 245

All Replies

Top 500 Contributor
Female
85 Posts
Points 1,675
Pat replied on Wed, Apr 13 2011 6:06 PM

Sandi,

I have a question for you, but I don`t know if you can answer me without giving away part of the mystery.... Here goes:

I just received my Quiltmaker magazine in the mail and I am a bit disappointed in the size of the finished Mystery Quilt.   Knowing what the quilt looks like, is this a pattern I could buy more fabric for and when the mystery is over, I could make extra blocks and make it bigger?   I would so love to join in, was really looking forward to it, but the size doesn`t suit me. 

Pat

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
269 Posts
Points 5,680

Pat,

Yes if you bought extra fabric it could be made larger.  Of course, don't ask next how much more and of which fabrics...that would be giving it away too much!

Sandi, aka kwiltnkats

Online Host

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
28 Posts
Points 825

Hello Sandi-

I have joined this group for the new Debbie Caffrey mystery, but I can not find your scrap instructions for Step 1?  Would you please direct me?

Thank you,

Linda

Top 500 Contributor
Female
269 Posts
Points 5,680

Linda, only #3 is shown scrappy so far.  You collect the same amount of fabric as mentioned in the QM magazine issue for #3.  Next look at Part 1 - Scrappy Cutting and Sewing and you'll see how #3 gets cut for the scrappy.  Part 2 will have scrappy cut for #5 fabric (again collect the same amount of fabric mentioned in the QM magazine issue for #5).  Part 3 will bring in #9; same scenario.  Hope this helps.

Sandi, aka kwiltnkats

If you are making a larger version as you mentioned you will need extra fabric.  Make sure you accommodate for the controlled part of #3 that makes the Unit 1 and Block W.

Online Host

Not Ranked
12 Posts
Points 590

HI,  I will be following along.  I have selected purples to make this quilt.  It will be my 2nd Mystery Quilt (I have just begun number 1 with our Guild.  

But I have a question, and issue with the pattern.  I would like to know what Block W, the 4 Patch, and A and B square to when finished for Part 1.

It really does bother me that the designer does not include this information in patterns.  If a quilter makes a quilt and does not know where they are going as far as the math for each segment, then it is going to be a quilt that will never be square when completed. 

So if you can provide that information for Part 1, and have Debbie include that in Parts 2 and 3 for the remaining blocks, I will be appreciative. 

When I first started piecing in 2004, The first quilt I made was from a Fons and Porter magazine, and I learned the hard way that the designer "assume" that a quilter "knows" everything.  I do show quilts, and if the quilt is not square, it will not be a competitive quilt.  I have learned all the "secrets" now through trial and error.  

Top 500 Contributor
Female
269 Posts
Points 5,680

Hi Luscher Quilter,

The unfinished sizes are:

Unit 1 = 6 1/2"

Block W = 6 1/2"

Four- Patch = 4 3/4"

Part 2 is already in print I'm pretty certain.  Part 3 is probably in a similar condition.  Designers write their patterns differently.  I'm sure your suggestion will be passed along by the Quiltmaker Staff.  It is nice to know size; sometimes the problem becomes how finished and unfinished is interpreted.  This might be why designer's avoid it.  I hope you are happy with this project.

Sandi, aka kwiltnkats

Online Host

Not Ranked
Female
12 Posts
Points 240
Laura replied on Fri, Apr 29 2011 4:02 PM

Hi Sandi: I am going to try to make this a scrappy mystery quilt. I definitely have enough scraps from the many projects I've been working on the last 4 years. I'll enjoy following along with you and seeing the progress of others as we do each part. Now to get some fabrics organized from my scrap bin. Laura

Top 500 Contributor
Female
269 Posts
Points 5,680

Happy to have you join in Laura.  Look forward to seeing what your stash comes up with!

Sandi, aka kwiltnkats

Online Host

Not Ranked
Female
52 Posts
Points 830

I concur with Luscheron knowing the unfinished size of the pieces.  Since the next issue has gone to print and possibly even the third by now, I'm  hoping you (Sandi) will be so kind as to give us the unfinished sizes of each piece we are to have when our pieces are made.  I also have found that ir really makes a differene in how your top turns out, and since you know sizes you can square up, adjust etc. so your pieces meet all the more neatly.  Just makes for a cleaner quilt top in my eexperience.

Janjo

Top 500 Contributor
Female
269 Posts
Points 5,680

I will be adding the unfinished size of the units with my next posts.  It is helpful I agree.

Sandi, aka kwiltnkats.

Online Host

Not Ranked
Female
12 Posts
Points 240
Laura replied on Mon, May 9 2011 5:09 PM

Here are the fabrics from my stash I've chosen. I love the browns and teals. I'm making a backpack out of one of these fabrics too. Laura

• | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
17 Posts
Points 290

I look forward to seeing your quilt worked up.  Cool color choice.

Not Ranked
Female
13 Posts
Points 175
Ray J replied on Tue, May 10 2011 9:56 AM

Lovely selection of fabrics!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
269 Posts
Points 5,680

Laura these fabrics are very pretty.  You should be happy with your project when it's complete.  Sorry it took me a bit to reply.

Sandi, aka kwiltnkats

Online Host

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 248,014

Sandy, Hello,I'm Barbara and I just found this group and would like to make this with all of you . I will be going thru my fabric today and pick out what I'm going to use . I do subscripe to Quitlmaker ,and found  the pattern in the magazine ..It will take me alittle while to catch up , this is my first MQ with Quiltmaker  so I'm looking foward to doing this ..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 35
Page 3 of 4 (60 items) Prev1234Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use