Linus Project

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 69
Points 975
mpspeedy Posted: Thu, Aug 5 2010 8:43 AM

Hi,  My friend got roped into being the chair of our local county's Linus Project.  We collect, sort and deliver about 600 quilts a month to Hospitals and other institutions that service children in our area.  I usually make about 8 or nine quilts for that project myself each month as well as helping with the sorting and distribution. It has become standard procedure in our local hospital to give a quilt to each child who enters the ER.  We also provide them for children who are having IV theorpy.  Some of the quilts end up in the trunks of local police officers who use them to comfort children involved in traffic accidents or domestic situations.  Our local county chapter involves school children and local service organizations as well as church groups etc in making the quilts.  We keep a stash handy should a family in the community loose a member in the military or for children of families who loose a parent in an accident etc.  Both guilds I belong to support the Linus project as well as quilts for soldiers and similar projects.  We have a small army of volunteers who sew, crochet or knit blankets for us every month.  

One of the girls in the Linus Project makes small quilts for our local animal shelter.  She makes them out of fabrics that are not as suitable for children and stuffs them with fabric scraps and scraps of batting.  She has even sewed shut the sleeves , bottoms and neck of old T shirts that she has stuffed.  They work great for an animal to lie on.  I know my cat will lay on any piece of clothing that ends up on the floor in my house.

• Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 89
Points 1,011
Twiggy replied on Fri, Aug 6 2010 9:24 PM

mpspeedy-

i am interested in learning about the linus project and the pet project. i have some extra low quality material that would be wonderful for the animals. from what i know the babies and children are supposed to have the "stitch-in-the-ditch" method of quilting. i have tried it a little, it is so the babies will not get their nails caught in the quilting. and i'm sure that i could find some material.

if you had some batting for the quilts or stuffing for the pet pieces that would be great. maybe some sawdust, sand, or dried beans for the pets.

twiggy

• Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 89
Points 1,011
Twiggy replied on Fri, Aug 6 2010 9:52 PM

right now i am searching the net for places that i can find the filler. where and how do you usually get your stuffing?

• Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 69
Points 975

Twiggy,  sorry I am so long getting back to the discussion.  For the pet quilts for the shelter I just use all of my scraps of batting and even the flannel scraps that are produced when I make my Linus quilts.  I have a huge bag full right now that I need to turn into some pet quilts.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use