Charity quilts...Quilts from the Bluffs

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 65,998
Jeanine Posted: Sat, Dec 15 2012 10:45 PM

I wanted to share pictures of quilts I delivered to Project Linus today.  

http://qftb.blogspot.com/2012/12/project-linus-december-2012-quilts.html

I have more pictures of quilts that will be delivered to two other organizations.  Hope to get those blog posts created tomorrow.  Our group has given away 313 quilts this year.  I am so proud of everyone in this group!  

I would love to know what others have done for charity quilting this year.  Please share.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 11
Points 70
Arlette replied on Thu, Feb 7 2013 6:34 PM

I make quilts for Project Linus, too.  It's so rewarding.  I got some great ideas from the pictures on the link.  Right now I'm working on some wonky 4 patches and hopefully this weekend I'll start some small Trip Around the World quilts. 

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 6
Points 40
Kelli replied on Mon, Feb 11 2013 7:12 PM

Hi -

I am with a small guild and this is only our second year.  We make three types of quilts - for Project LInus, a teen runaway shelter, and Medicaid homebound clients.  For smaller charity projects we make breast cancer mastectomy pillows and placemats for Mobile Meals.  It is so rewarding to see how creative the women are and how much fun they have.

We receive donations of various sorts and it has been fun to see the what people give us.  Lots of times we get "orphan blocks" and one of our ladies will return them together as a top.  Another thing we do is when we receive a donation of a cut out quilt without a pattern or  half finished half cut out quilt pieces, we kit is as a Challenge Quilt and it has been amazing to see what some of the women have created!

We have a Charity Committee who cuts kits - all that is necessary to piece a top along with a pattern - and then we have regular "Sew-In's" where we sew all day.  Quite fun and we accomplish a lot.

I'd love to hear what others are doing and would be happy to share/exchange patterns!  Let me know!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 62
Points 745
Adele Hoyt replied on Tue, Feb 26 2013 12:08 PM

hi Kellie,

my church group makes quilts for cancer patients, children's hospita, lttle dresses for africa, and we are a prayers and squares group.  i am chair of the group and would love more information about the mastectomy pillows and the placemats for mobile meals.

thanks, adele

ps sorry about the typing, i broke my right wrist, had surgery. no quilting for a while.

• Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 6
Points 40
Kelli replied on Tue, Feb 26 2013 7:30 PM

Hi Adele -

I was so glad to read your post!  No worries on the typing - I'm amazed you can do it left handed!   Sounds like your group is really active.  I would be more than happy to send you the mastectomy pillow pattern.  We don't use a specific pattern for the placemats - many of the women just "do their own thing" and some will Google "placemat patterns" to get ideas and free patterns.  A lot of the ladies will use their embroidery machines or sewing machine stitches to embellish the placemats.

I hope that we can get more activity with this group - I love hearing about what others are doing!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use