Charily Group Links

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 552
Points 11,595
Adele Posted: Sun, Jul 11 2010 8:12 PM

Ill be updating this as i come a crossed new ones.  Sorry its takeing me so long to get this list going, there are so many charity groups out there with dead site. so im having to visit each site and im trying to make sure they are still active.

The Nicholas Project

Heart Strings Quilt Project

Kaye Wood

Ugly Quilts  sleeping bags for the homeless made from scraps.

Tiny Angels  sent to NICU babies.

Wrap them in love

Yellow Ribbon Project  has a lot of info about a lot of troop projects.

Adele 

Grand Junction, CO

• Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 33
Points 180
Glenna replied on Sat, Jul 31 2010 1:31 PM

Thanks, Adele, this is a great start and will keep many of us  busy.

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 30
Points 1,240
Judy replied on Tue, Aug 3 2010 8:34 AM

Hi Adele

I donate all my quilts to various animal (humane) charities.  Perhaps there will be members who love animals and would like to donate to humane groups in their area to be auctioned or raffled off to benefit animals.

I don't have a list of humane non-profits, that is something that the individual quilter might like to investigate in their own area.

Perhaps you could add a little note about quilting for animals.

Judy

• Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 552
Points 11,595
Adele replied on Tue, Aug 3 2010 12:38 PM

Judy i can do that. I didnt even though about that... animals need quilts too.

Adele 

Grand Junction, CO

Not Ranked
Posts 30
Points 1,240
Judy replied on Tue, Aug 3 2010 2:06 PM

Quilts are such great items to auction/raffle off.  They tend to generate a lot of excitement at fundraisers.  Small humane groups have such a tough time raising enough money to support the animals that they care for.  Thanks Adele.

Judy

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Wed, Aug 4 2010 8:16 AM

What a wonderful idea ,I didn't thik about that. Pets love to lie on blankets ,so quilts would work .Will have to make some small ones and take to the shelters .Great idea...Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Not Ranked
Posts 30
Points 1,240
Judy replied on Wed, Aug 4 2010 11:57 AM

Actually it's not the animals that we make quilts for, we make the quilts so that the organization that is looking after the animals can raffle or auction them of to help with the expenses.  I think you will find that most humane groups don't want quilts for bedding as they are so difficult to keep clean.   Sorry to be so confusing.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Wed, Aug 4 2010 1:31 PM

Thanks Judy,  you are right ,I did misunderstand .It's still a good cause.Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 89
Points 1,011
Twiggy replied on Sat, Aug 7 2010 12:31 PM

all-

i called some shelters today and they really can't take any toys with anything like poly-fil or batting because the animals may choke on it.

i have some fqs and plan on giving them to my little cousins to make pull toys for the the animals. i have to call the manager mon to see if she thinks it's possible.

hopefully they can put them on their resumes for college as volunteer work.

i'll see what the manager says on mon

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 55

I recently came upon a site called "Quilts for Kids":  http://quiltsforkids.org/.  They can send you the fabric to sew and send back. or you can provide your own fabric.  This would be great opportunity for people who love to quilt but can't afford to buy the fabric. 

I ordered one kit so that I could see what they were expecting in terms of size, quality, finishing requirements, etc.  They give you 4-6 weeks to finish it. 

There is a list of local chapters:  http://quiltsforkids.org/chapters/.

I have not tried the Linus Project yet.  But that may be one I pursue as well.

Nancy

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,045
Nana replied on Mon, Aug 9 2010 11:28 PM

Nancy

If you check out the thread Downey Quilts for Kids in general forums you will find a lot of ladies on site that quilt for this great organization.

Vinton, Virginia

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use