Charity Quilts

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 66
Points 855
Adele Hoyt Posted: Sun, Dec 29 2013 1:39 PM

I decided ot write a post and perhaps other will join in a discussion.  I love making charity quilts, usually for a local organization that does not receive a  great deal of funds or attention.  January my church group will be making children's quilts to donate to a home for abused children.  So sad and breaks my heart.  The children are ages birth to 10 years of age.  The quilts will be small, bright and made with fabric that has been donated to our group. We are small in number but we can make sewing machines buzz.   What type of quilts or projects to you make for charity?

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,180
Jacy replied on Thu, Jan 2 2014 1:28 PM

Adele, I think it would be wonderful if this group were a little more active. It would be a good place to share ideas for quick and easy quilts to make for charities. I make kids quilts from time to time and give them to Project Linus. Charity quilts are a great way to use up scraps and fabrics we no longer love. maybe we could post some photos of some charity quilts we've made.

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,180
Jacy replied on Thu, Jan 2 2014 1:32 PM

Here's one I made 

• Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 66
Points 855

Great Quilt Jacy!  Here's one that just finished but it's not quilted.  This is my first attempt at a String Quilt.  I keep putting my left over pieces in a basket and decided I needed to do something with the strips.  This will go to a children's home.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 453
Points 8,640
Jan replied on Fri, Jan 3 2014 1:17 PM

I try to do at least one quilt a month usually for Quilts for Kids.  I got involved with them when one of my DIL's sister's had a premie and was in intensive care for over 3 months.  I like both of the pics. I have a bunch of pics of those that I have made, but is one of the last ones.  I often use the same pattern as I am sure it is the right size, but I am getting bored with it.  Will continue to work with them though.  I have my DGD1 starting to do them occasionally. She made throw/twin sized one last year for a local family who Mom lost her 3rd son to murder on our city streets.  His 15 year old girlfriend was pregnant.  She did the whole top, helped sandwich and a bit of the basting.  I quilted it for her.  She offered to do it and have it finished in 3 weeks.  After doing it she said "Nana you make this look a lot easier than it really is"  I am VERY proud of her.  I don't thing I have a pic of that though. Actually, the top one is the regular pattern and the bottom is one someone else suggested.  I will probably do a couple more of those until I find other patterns.

Jan in Rochester NY

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 66
Points 855

Thanks for sharing Jan!  Kids love bold bright colors!  Love the colors on the Rail Fence!  The Rail Fence quilt was the very first quilt I made.  Still have it but so sad that some of the colors faded.  Good Job of sharing quilting with young folks.

• Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 386
Points 6,625
Phyllis replied on Sun, Jan 12 2014 12:37 PM

Hi everyone, I am Phyllis and did not even know that this group existed.   I have always been interested in making children's charity quilts and am going to do it this year.  Probably for Children's Mercy Hospital in Kansas City,  Mo. Our son died there and we couldn't have gotten better care anywhere.  I would love to give back something.  I really love the idea of sharing quilting patters, ideas, etc.  I am not very creative and would love that kind of help.  Really looking forward to this group this year

Bonner Springs, Kansas

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 66
Points 855

Hi Phyllis, I watch the Missouri Star Quilt Company videos on Youtube for lots of ideas for the charity quilts my group makes.  She makes the quilts look great with a small amount of effort.  Next month my group is making Bead Bags of Courage for our local children's hospital.  CHOC gives these bags to their cancer patients to save all the beads these children receive for their numerous proceeds.  These are easily made with two 9X12 focus fabrics (juvenile fabric) and two 9X12 lining fabrics.  If you Google Bead Bags of Courage for the patten and directions.  We make loads and loads of these. Might check with your hospital if they use this program or would like to begin.

We also make small quilts for the community children's home.  This home houses children before they go to foster care!

Hope to hear from you soon!   Happy Quilting!

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use