UFOs forever?

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 62
Points 835
Patrick Posted: Fri, May 20 2011 10:38 AM

Do you have a particular quilting project that's a thorn in your side right now (or has been for a long time)? Why is it giving you such grief and will it ever lose its UFO status?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 162
Points 3,675
Laura replied on Sat, May 21 2011 10:31 PM

I have a twin size Storm at Sea quilt that is finally on the quilting table but it's been a good 3 years in the making. I don't know if I'll ever get it done. It was a big learning project for me which is good, but I'm not happy with how my points have come together. I had a horrible time getting the diamond shapes squared straight. Now that the top is done I realize I should have found a paper piecing pattern, and not this pattern from whatever magazine I used. The seam joins are bumpy  so when I was quilting it the machine would get hung up on the bumps and it took until near the end to finally feel like I was happy with the quilting, then I realized that the back side has more than the occasional loop from the upper thread, and the stitch length is wonky and I could go on and on. It's still sitting on the quilting table and has been for a few weeks. I'd rip out the quilting but I just don't have the desire to work in it any more. I had such great hopes for this project but I'm ready to give it to the dog for his blanket. I just have the border left to quilt and then binding. If I finish it, I don't even feel like I could donate it to anywhere, I'd be worried someone would find out who made it!

Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

• Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 198
Points 3,570

I have 3 UFO's.

1 & 2. The very first log cabin I PP to learn the technique (complete lap size top) and blocks that are half completed for a top. I vaguely remember starting this waaaaaaay back in the mid 90's....but I can't remember who it was for (me? my brother?) Colors are hunter/burgundy type (almost holiday-ish), or the size.....but darn it if I didn't lose my entire stash in a move, but these two followed me. Makes me feel like I should finish them. The lap top (ha ha) is pink and black and would now be considered "wonky". It's totally imperfect as it was done on the fly for technique, not perfection. Can't believe it's still hanging around. I think I might finish it for a good reminder.

3. A quilt I started for my grandmother who passed away before it was done. Not sure what I want to do with this one.

4 & 5. UFO's that came to me, not started by me (are these UFO's??) One I found at a thrift store. It's just a top that is solid log cabin. Needs repair. The other, I found in my grandmother's attic. It's a top with a single butterfly per square. Needs some repair and to be finished. No one knows where it came from, but they are quite sure she didn't make it....I'm not so sure. My GM was very creative and tried so many  different things, it wouldn't surprise me. Either way, I want to finish that one.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use