To Float Or Not To Float

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 100
Susan Posted: Thu, May 19 2011 8:51 AM

I want my designs to look great everytime.  I have found that when I do designs like Patrick's filp flops that stabilizer makes the design.  I use sticky + stabilizer and adhere it to my fabric, then I hoop the fabric and the stabilizer. I FLOAT a piece of tear away between the hoop and the machine.  The perfect combo for me.

So, do you float?  How do you get the perfect design?

• Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 183
Points 5,370
Patti replied on Thu, May 19 2011 9:13 AM

When I embroider designs, I always float the fabric.  The stabilizer gets hooped, the fabric lays on top and I use the "fix" button on my machine to stitch a rectangle around the design area before I begin the design. 

I've never had any shifting or other issues when I do it this way...

Patti in Pgh

• Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 62
Points 835
Patrick replied on Thu, May 19 2011 4:36 PM

This is great info, Susan and Patti! Keep it coming everyone! It's great to hear your tips :)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 162
Points 3,675
Laura replied on Sat, May 21 2011 10:33 PM

I think I do basically what Susan does, but I use a clear washaway stabilizer like Badgemaster on top of the fabric, makes it stand out much nicer I find.

Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,551
Points 139,378

Susan:
I FLOAT a piece of tear away between the hoop and the machine.

I will often use a piece of wash away stabilizer on the top of my fabric if my fabric has a texture like terry cloth, velvet, t shirts as well as underneath. It helps keep the design from sinking into the fibers of the fabric. I haven't floated it though. I usually hoop it all together. Thanks for the info.  

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use