I've got a notion...

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 62
Points 835
Patrick Posted: Sat, May 7 2011 10:33 AM

I'd like to hear your thoughts on your favorite tool(s) that make your quilting more enjoyable and easy. Rotary cutters are a "given" but what are some of your go-to notions or tools?

My personal favorite, lately, is my Ultra-Pro Seam Ripper. When I need to remove a line of satin-stitching, it does it in no time flat without causing a bunch of fraying of applique edges. You can see it in my blog post, here.

Tell us about your favorite(s) and why you love them.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 121
Points 2,650
QCA Peg replied on Mon, May 9 2011 7:55 PM

I am a newer quilter, and I just completed my second quilt (with binding, too!) I had read about this little gizmo - the Kwik Klip - that helps close the pins. Well, I purchased one, and it was definitely worth the investment.

I have to say, that I certainly used my trusty little seam ripper quite a bit as well, but it is not a turbo-charged model - like the Ultra-Pro Seam Ripper seems to be. I may have to invest in one of those next. : ) For some reason, I think most of my seam ripping days are in front of me!

• Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 62
Points 835
Patrick replied on Mon, May 9 2011 8:03 PM

LOL...seam ripping (unsewing) is way better than being unhappy with what you've done and it gives you the chance to try and try again until you've become a pro! :)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,650
Points 135,977
Leslie replied on Tue, May 10 2011 6:03 PM

Yes I would be lost without my ripper also lol

[Ava, Missouri

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,354
Points 414,879
gini replied on Thu, May 12 2011 11:40 PM

lately it has been my computer.    if i need a pattern, help with a math problem,  video of a technique, search for the perfect fabric or tool.  the list goes on and on. 

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 62
Points 835
Patrick replied on Fri, May 13 2011 10:27 AM

I agree, Gini! That's a really great tool :)

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25

My steam iron is my best tool of all.  It can make or break your work. 

I've been watching re-runs of America Sews with Sue Hausman and have seen your segment a couple of times now, I love your work. 

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 62
Points 835
Patrick replied on Tue, May 17 2011 4:45 PM

I can't do without a great steam iron, either!

Thanks, Barbara. I love working with Sue any chance I get. I hope you're watching Quilting Celebrations with Patrick Lose on QNNtv.com too! :)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 162
Points 3,675
Laura replied on Sat, May 21 2011 10:39 PM

My must have tool is one my husband got me, a pair of long needle nose pliers. I use them for everything from pulling the loose thread pieces out when I've ripped something out, to tying knots in the threads when quilting, to grabbing the thread when I thread the needle and picking out fuzz bunnies from inside my machines. I'm lost without them. I wish I could find another pair like them, the gripping surface is not ridged but is more like a fine file. I find that there are times that I can't get my fingers to work and these pliers take their place.

Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use