Suggestions for batting

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 51
Points 785
Beth D Posted: Wed, Mar 2 2011 10:06 AM

Hey ladies,

I am still fairly new to quilting, so I'm learning to seek advice BEFORE I mess something up.  Since this group is about scrap quilts, I'm hoping one of you has my answer.

I have just finished two string block tops in which all the blocks were sewn onto old sheets for their foundation.  I have also finished piecing the backs which are mostly muslin.  Now the question - the tops are slightly heavy since they are pieced on sheets, but I still want to use something to give the quilts shape.  I'm thinking if I use my Warm & Natural batting, they're going to be too heavy.  Should I still use W&N?   Should I use a cheaper batting just for form?  Should I do something completely different?

Thanks for any input!

Beth in SC

• Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 20

Sometimes I have used Warm & Natural, I have also used the craft batting that is like felt.  However, to just get a light weight filling in the sandwich, cotton flannel works well.  It is light weight and doesn't require much quilting.

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 7
Points 170

Hi Beth,

I made a queen-size pineapple quilt that was foundation pieced on muslin. I was surprised at how heavy the top was. My long-arm quilter even suggested not using batting at all. But since I still wanted it, she used a light-weight poly blend. I like cotton so much more and one of my favorites is Quilter's Dream. I believe Request is the thinnest of their lofts.

--Eileen

• Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 51
Points 785
Beth D replied on Fri, Mar 4 2011 9:10 AM

Thanks for the replies!  I'm going to make my decision this weekend and just do it. 

Beth in SC

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use