July/August issue of Quiltmaker

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 37
Points 1,725
Kim Posted: Sat, Jun 4 2011 4:51 PM

I hope you are ready for the new issue.....wait until you see what we have done with Barbara Clines design!

All eight of us have come up with our own scrappy version  of "Spinout", I am still amazed at how one pattern can look so different.  Don't miss it!

Happy sewing,

Kim

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060

Hello Kim, How does a person turn her mind set around to begin a scrappy quilt? I made my first quilt in 1992, a traditional rail fence and have never worked out a scrappy version of any pattern. I do, as most fabri-holics, have a great stash that for the past year has been steadily depleted. Now, I find myself with unused fabrics that just don't go together in other projects. In other words my stash has gone FLAT.. Too many off shades and a lot of tonal. HOW do I convert these wayward pieces into a scrappy quilt? What pattern would you suggest for a newbie? Also, where can I view the QM scrappy versions of the 'Spinout' quilts you all have made?

The first thing I did with this new issue of QM was start the work on my Secret Window.. lol

Carylanne

Not Ranked
Posts 37
Points 1,725
Kim replied on Wed, Jun 8 2011 10:50 AM

Hi Carylanne,

You can go to  the quilty pleasure blog to see QM scrap squad reveals...mine will show up on the 15th.

You know how I got started on scrappy?  I made a mystery quilt with Bonnie Hunter on her quiltville chat site.

It was really fun and now I am addicted to scrappy and find a planned quilt a bit boring.......I am making a wedding

quilt and started with about 20 different fabrics and now I'm just randomly piecing the winding ways pattern.

Happy Sewing,

Kim

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060

ty Kim for the message, I may work on a scrappy after the next two quilts I need to cut . I will go look at the spinout versions, they may give me a better idea of how to get started..

Carylanne

• Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 53
Points 1,070

Hi Carylanne,

I would agree with Kim. Once you start making scrappy quilts, completely planned quilts can seem rather dull! The main thing I have learned is that value is way more important than color. In other words, the relative lightness or darkness of a fabric matters more than its color. You could make an entire quilt keeping in mind only value and you'd be pretty safe!

I do think the Scrap Squad will help to inspire you, and Bonnie Hunter's free patterns at quiltville.com are terrific. You'll be hooked in no time!

Diane

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use