Scrap Books: Recommended Books on Scrappy Quiltmaking

rated by 0 users
This post has 20 Replies | 11 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 53
Points 1,070
Diane Harris Posted: Thu, Feb 17 2011 3:02 PM

I'd like to start a list here of recommendations for great books related to making scrappy quilts. I'll add to the list regularly. I'd like the Scrap Squad members and all other members of this group to do the same.

If you add to the list, please give at least the book's title, author and publisher. Add a comment on why you like the book for scrappy quilts. If you can, share a photo or link to one. If you know where the book may be purchased, please link.

Recommendations can be older books or new books.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 53
Points 1,070

There's a new book out from That Patchwork Place called Scrap-Basket Sensations by Kim Brackett. The sub-title is More Great Quilts from 2 1/2" Strips. There are 18 different projects, most are throw-size quilts, but since they are scrappy, making them any size you wish would be easy. Several of them immediately went on my "must do" list.

Martingale has a really cool feature on their website where you can see large photos of the quilts in a book. Check it out by clicking on the book's cover image—I really spent some time browsing before my copy of the book arrived.

I love it that I could make any of these quilts from fabric I already own. Many color recipes are included: cutesy, country, reproduction, soft, floral, modern, brights and batiks, to name a few.

The retail price is $24.99. Well worth every cent!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 15
Points 285
Jane replied on Thu, Feb 17 2011 4:24 PM

Ohhh, I'll have to put in a plug  for one of my favorite quilters I met on the internet a long time ago, Bonnie Hunter.  She's got three books out. 

Scraps & Shirttails: Reuse, Re-pupose, Recycle! The Art of "Quilting Green"

Adventures with Leaders & Enders: Make More Quilts in Less Time!

Scraps & Shirttails II: Continuing the Art of Quilting Green

Check out her website for LOTS of free patterns, and you can also order the books there too.

www.quiltville.com

Her publisher is Kansas City Star Books, but you can also get them on Amazon.com

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 16
Points 250

It may be a little early to talk about this, BUT since Jane brought up Bonnie Hunter . . . we're working out the details now to announce in Quiltmaker's May/June issue a giveaway of five autographed copies of Bonnie's new book, Scraps & Shirttails II. We'll announce full details online by the end of March! I've peeked a little bit and it looks like a very fun book :-)

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 45
Points 340

Oh Diane, don't get me started.  I am an avid book collector and although I've only made a couple quilts from these books, they are well bookmarked with projects for my someday list so I'd classify them among my favorites!  If you want more suggestions, just yell - I just grabbed 5 that are at the top of my list!  Looks like they are all still available on Amazon and I'm sure elsewhere.

Weekend Scrap Quilting edited by Jeanne Stauffer and Sandra L. Hatch    House of White Birches   Colorful all occasion quilts - some with big blocks for quick assembly.

Simple Strategies for Scrap Quilts by Lynn Roddy Brown   That Patchwork Place  Nice variety and some are fat quarter friendly  

Crazy for Scraps by Sally Schneider  That Patchwork Place   Unique patterns - lots of nice ideas for completely scrappy quilts

Scrap-Basket Surprises (jelly-roll friendly) by Kim Brackett   That Patchwork Place  **my very very favorite.   Beautiful beautiful quilts; I have bookmarked about every other page

Scrap Quilt Sensation by Katherine Guerrier   David & Charles Lots of explanation and techniques; another good source for completely scrappy quilts

Carol Vickers

• Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 85
Points 1,675
Pat replied on Thu, Feb 17 2011 8:36 PM

Diane, funny you should mention this book.   I was browsing the Connecting Threads website this week and came upon this same book:    Scrap Basket Sensations.  We can "view more images" of any book on that site, and the patterns seem awesome.   What nice scrappy quilts we could make out of those!   Well, I promptly ordered the book and it is on special at 14.99$ for a limited time.   Can't wait to receive it by mail.    I am going to a quilt retreat next week for 2 nights/3 days and that book will be my evening reading...

Pat

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 19
Points 210
Donna A replied on Thu, Feb 17 2011 8:44 PM

I love all quilting books and it is hard to pick just one, but this one is a favorite of mine.  Jelly Roll Quilts by Pam & Nicky Lintott,  It is published by David & Charles of F & W Publications, Inc.  It was originally published in 2008.  I found it easily by looking up the author's names on www.google.com  Amazon has it in stock for $14.62.

There are 15 good scrappy quilt patterns made from 2 1/2" jelly rolls.  One of my favorite patterns is Log Cabin Hidden Stars.  I do occasionaly buy jelly rolls, but I also like to make my own.  I try to cut at least one or two 2 1/2" strips from the left overs of each project I work on.  Before very long my scrappy jelly roll stash has grown enough strips to make another scrappy quilt :)

Make some happy, scrappy quilts!

Donna

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 45
Points 340

I have this book Donna!  It is a GOOD one!

Carol

Not Ranked
Posts 43
Points 580

So many GREAT books on this list.  I have all three of Bonnie Hunter's books.  I have found that although my color choices are often radically different from Bonnie's, her patterns are perfect (of course) for scrap quilts.  Her books also contain great common sense advice that are helpful to those of us that have been making and loving scrappy quilts for years as well as those new to scrap quilts.  My only warning about Bonnie's books are they use a variety of sizes so if don't have a lot of scraps already cut up, be prepared to do some cutting! But then, we do that for non-scrappy quilts all the time don't we.  Bonnie's books are:

The book Diane recommended is by Kim Brackett.  I don't yet have her latest book, but Kim also has a previous book called Scrap Basket Surprises  Unlike Bonnie's book, Kim heavily favors  2 1/2" strips and simple sewing instructions.  That makes her book excellent for new quilters, those who haven't yet built up an inventory of scraps, and anyone looking for a super quick pattern.  Scrap Basket Surprises is one of my 'Go-To' books for quick gift projects.  I can't wait to check out Scrap Basket Sensations!  Thanks for the recommendation Diane.

For using pre-cuts, there is also the book by Carrie Nelson called Schnibbles Times Two  This book, like Kim's book is great for those who love scrappy quilts and those who are new to scrap quilts.  Unlike Kim's books, this book has patterns for 5" and 10" squares. 

Two final books I recommend are Stash Buster Quilts by Lynne Edwards.  In this book Lynne presents her patterns in clear, easy to read directions and usually in more than one colorway.  Her book, like Bonnie's books, don't focus on any one size cut but offer a nice variety.

Also, Cozy Modern Quilts by Kim Schaefer.  This isn't a scrap quilt book per say, but the patterns in this book lend themselves brilliantly to using scraps.  The other thing I've found that makes this an ideal book is that the simple modern designs are very attractive to the young people in my life.  Those that don't have the same appreciation I have for more traditional quilting styles.  I can always find a quilt in here for my young college-age cousins.

Okay, that's my list.  My two-cents worth about scrap books I like!

Cheers, Dionne

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 85
Points 1,675
Pat replied on Fri, Feb 18 2011 10:59 AM

Hi,

Another good book is "Scrap Quilts:   Fast and Fun"   from Oxmoor House.  Product Details  It is available on Amazon.com.  There are very very nice patterns in there.   I made three quilts with the pattern "Crossroads to Jericho``.   Very easy and nice too.

Pat

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 22
Points 405

I was going to say Bonnie Hunter's books, and it looks like I'm not alone. I love her patterns!

Lots of scraps, It's Time to Quilt by Jeanne Stauffer and Sandra Hatch is a favorite of mine. It has everything from bags, to table runners, to bed size quilts.

http://www.amazon.com/Lots-Scraps-Its-Time-Quilt/dp/1592172288/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1298083515&sr=1-1

A Treasury of Scrap Quilts by Nancy J. Martin is a great scrap quilt book and it even has alternate color schemes just like Quiltmaker Magazine does.

http://www.amazon.com/Treasury-Scrap-Quilts-Patchwork-Place/dp/1564776034

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 28
Points 825

My all time favorite book for any scrap project!

I have made the cover quilt several times and it always comes out super!

Yes- Yes - so many quilts - so little time!

Linda

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 2
Points 25

Many thanks Jane.  I just spent half an hour (and bookmarked it for later) at www.quiltville.com .  My "confetti cloth" is now called "crumb blocks".  What a great site to wander thru, and sooo many free quilts.  Bonnie Hunter is my new favorite quilter too.   

Not Ranked
Posts 51
Points 785
Beth D replied on Wed, Feb 23 2011 10:18 AM

I have the Scrap Basket Surprises and have made one quilt from it so far.  I bought the book because I absolutely love the Christmas Ribbons.  Since I'm still learning (a lot), I made one of the other quilt as a learning experience.  I'm glad I did because I learned a lot and feel ready to do the Ribbons.....as soon as I get time! 

Beth in SC

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 45
Points 340

I think the Christmas Ribbons is a gorgeous quilt!  I have it bookmarked as one of my favorites - I want to make it too.....as soon as I get time.  I think most quilters are still learning; there is always a new technique or an old one you haven't tried yet. 

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 12Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use