Meet the Scrap Squad!

rated by 0 users
This post has 25 Replies | 15 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 53
Points 1,085
Diane Harris Posted: Wed, Jan 26 2011 11:57 AM

Who are the ladies that make up the QM Scrap Squad for 2011? Each of them will introduce herself here.

Not Ranked
Posts 37
Points 1,725
Kim replied on Wed, Jan 26 2011 1:40 PM

Hi,

I'm Kim Brandt.

I've been sewing for years, starting with making my own clothes and wedding gown back in the 70's.

I got hooked on quilting in the late 80's and have really gotten addicted since I retired from nursing in the 90's.

I just love scrap quilting and making quilts for every occasion as gifts.

I'm so excited to be part of Scrap Squad with Quiltmaker Magazine and this talent panel of ladies.

Happy sewing.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 46
Points 230

Hello everyone,

My name is Carol Vickers.  I'm from a small town in Ohio.  I've been married to my husband Jim for 41 years; we have two adult children and one granddaughter.  I grew up sewing but just started quilting about 9 years ago when a friend encouraged me to take a class with her.  From that first class, I was hooked! 

Being selected to be a member of Quiltmaker's Scrap Squad is an honor.  This first project has been so much fun and I have enjoyed being in the company of such a talented group of quilters.  To see my version of Rhapsody in Bloom, click here.  That will take you to the gallery where you can see the wide variation in quilts, all created from the same pattern.

Carol

• Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 85
Points 1,675
Pat replied on Wed, Jan 26 2011 3:04 PM

Hi, My name is Pat and I live in St-Jacques, New Brunswick, Canada.  I have been quilting for about 10 yrs now and I love it!   I have three grown children and five grandchildren, aged from 4 to 9.    I make lots of quilts and of course, I end up with lots of scraps!   This past December, I was very excited to  learn I had been accepted as a member of the newly formed Quiltmaker Scrap Squad!   Our aim as a group is to make scrappy quilts with patterns from Quiltmaker magazine.  We would like to show readers that you can take just about any quilt pattern and make it scrappy.   The first quilt or piece we made was with a pattern called Rhapsody in Bloom.

When I first saw the pattern, I thought to myself:   Now is the time to use up the nice burgundy fabric that has been sitting on a shelf just waiting to be sewn.   It will tie up the rest of the scraps in the quilt.   For the scraps, I separated the beiges from the creams out of my scrap basket.   Then I went through three huge bins of odds and ends and picked out all the blues and blacks I could find.   Here is a picture of what the blues looked like before I started.

And what was nice about the pattern is that there was a lot of chain piecing:

Once the chain piecing was done, it was time to sew the block sections together:

And here is a picture of the finished quilt:

I own an HQ16 longarm.  I do not quilt professionnally, and I am not the best free motion quilter... but it suits my purpose.   This is a closeup of the quilting on my Rhapsody in Bloom:

I just loved making this quilt and can't wait to get my hands on the next pattern!    Happy quilting, everyone!   And remember:  when life throws you scraps, make a quilt!

Pat

• Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 19
Points 210
Donna A replied on Wed, Jan 26 2011 3:59 PM

Hi, My name is Donna.  I live in a small town in North West Arkansas.  I am a wife of nearly 60 years, mother of two grown sons and grandmother of 4 college age kids.  I have always  love to sew.  Made my very first baby quilt in 1954.  The quilts were few and far between for all the working years, but when I retired from my job as a Computer System Designer and programmer in 1999, is when I really started to find my love of quilting. Now It is my passion!  I make several quilts each year. Mostly king, twin and throws.  Also like making totes and bags and about anything that has to do with quilting.

Being selected to be on the Scrap Squad is like a dream come true.  I love getting acquainted with all the other members and seeing how we are each choosing fabrics so differently, using the same pattern, and yet all the  results are beautiful.  I am looking forward to all the new projects that will be coming down the road.  A rule I made for myself is to use my stash fabrics if possible and to try to be more free in putting different scraps together.  I tend to be too controling on the colors I put together, but I plan on being more scrappy.  Hope you enjoy my Rhapsody in Bloom.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 15
Points 285
Jane replied on Wed, Jan 26 2011 4:09 PM

Hi!

I'm ForestJane (my online name) and I'm from Memphis, TN.  I try to spend at least a little time each day quilting.  I love scrappy quilts, but I must admit to sorting my scraps—I lean toward color-controlled scrappy.  I'm a member of several quilting related yahoo groups, Quiltville, Heartstrings, and Accuquilters.  I haven't had the Accuquilt for long, but I can see it's going to be a great help in busting my stash! 

Actually, I don't have a stash, I have a STABLE:  STash Accumulation Beyond Life Expectancy.  I don't often let myself buy anything that 's not one of the B's, Border, Backing, Binding, and Batting.

My real, full time job is Children's Librarian.  I also do some copyediting and proofreading in the evenings for a couple of publishing houses.  I love the opportunity to read the newest books before they're published.  After quilting, reading is my other vice.

I've enjoyed our first Scrap Squad assignment and I'm looking forward to the next!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 22
Points 405

I'm Ruthie Wasmuth from Lafayette, IN.  I am a graphic designer by day and a quilter in the evenings. I sew almost every day, even if it.s just some handwork in front of the TV. I am married and have 4 children and 8 grandchildren....which equates to lots of quilts as gifts.

When I saw the call for participation in the Scrap Squad, I knew it was for me. I have long been known as the "quilter who doesn't do random." And I didn't, until I started following Bonnie Hunter from Quiltville. She really got me out of my little matchy, matchy box and helped me create great scrappy quilts.

My oldest grandson, Tony, asked  for a quilt for his new apartment and I planned to make one for him in burgandys and tans, but when I saw the Rhapsody in Bloom pattern, I changed my mind. I had a stack of floral fat quarters from an online birthday swap and decided to use them. My quilt is not what I call striking, but has a blended look. Tony's quilt will have to be next, as I think this one will be a very nice Quilt of Valor for a female soldier.

Here's what I started with:

And my finished Rhapsody in Bloom:

More photos are in the Gallery.

• Filed under: |
Not Ranked
Posts 43
Points 580

My name is Dionne Gordon, also known as iQuilty in the cyber world.  I have three children ranging from 6 years old to 13 years old.  As a child my mom kept me entertained by giving me a pile of scraps and free range on her pedal powered singer sewing machine.  I wasn't allowed to pester her again until I had at least one outfit completed for my barbie dolls.  It wasn't until the late ninties that I discovered quilting.  I currently have a blog I update regularly.  I am active on the Quilters Club of America website, Flickr, Facebook, as well as Quiltville's yahoo group and more. If I'm not sewing, chances are I'm online reading or writing about sewing.  (Is this was a passion or an obsession?  Let's not dwell!)

I have a natural tendency toward being frugal with my fabrics.  They always seem far too precious to waste even the smallest cut, and I gravitate towards the scrappy look.  When Diane Volk Harris extended an invitation to join Quiltmakers Scrap Squad, it was a perfect match.  I work as a freelance writer and do taxes for fun, but quilting is my passion.

When we were given our first assignment, a pattern designed by a teenage boy, I was intrigued.  You can find my interview with Doug Leko, designer of Quiltmaker's Rhapsody in Bloom pattern, on the Quilty Pleasures blog

We learned about our first pattern just after Christmas, when my spirits were high and my pocket book was low.  Have you ever found your self in that position? More inspiration than financing! I dug deep into my stash and found enough scraps to make a twin size RIB. (that's Rhapsody in Bloom ~ love the acronyms)

I was initially worried I wouldn't  have enough contrast, colors, fabrics... you name it, I fretted about it!  When I completed my first block, it was SO SCRAPPY, it was hard to see the actual pattern. 

But I had faith that with more than 20 blocks in the twin size, the repeat would show up.  In the end I am incredibly happy with the final quilt!  And my daughter is thrilled with a new quilt for her bed.

I used approximately 32 different fabrics.  The largest cut of fabric was a fat quarter and my smallest cut was a 2 1/2 inch square.  I didn't use a unifying fabric to tie the project together and give your eye a place to rest ~ with my fabrics, it's all go, go, go!

One of my favorite elements of quilting is seeing how many incredibly unique ways one pattern can look fabulous.  As a part of the Scrap Squad I get to be a part of seeing that process first hand.  I am so fortunate to work with such a talented group of women that all look at the same pattern I do and see something radically different.  I am inspired and amazed when I see the many interpretations of the same pattern!  You can browse all the photos at the Scrap Squad Photo Gallery.  I think you'll be just as inspired as I am!

Cheers, Dionne

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 15
Points 230

Pat,

I really like the wavy edge border - what a creative solution!

Denise

Not Ranked
Posts 17
Points 465

It's nice to meet each of the new members of the Scrap Squad. Each of their quilts is wonderful, and so very different. It will be fun to see their creations each issue.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10

Hi Donna,

Love your quilts! The colors are gorgeous! Before we lived in Denver we lived in Bentonville for 18 months, and my folks still live there. Where do you live?

Paula

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10

Wow! LOVE the scrappy quilts! You all are so talented and we are lucky to have you "on board" with us! I'm looking forward to seeing your scrap quilts with every issue!

Paula

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 7
Points 170

I am so inspired by all of the Scrap Squad members! You all lead such interesting lives and can still find the time to sew such wonderful scrappy quilts. Isn't it fun to see the same pattern take on so many different looks? Can't wait to see what you make next.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 28
Points 825

Hello  - I am from California and thrilled to be a member of the Quiltmaker Scrap Squad.  I have been quilting for over 20 years and have spent the majority of that time scrap quilting.  My favorite magazine is Quiltmaker.  For the last ten years most of my projects tend to feature reproduction fabrics from the 19th century and of course I have a lot of reproduction scraps that I look forward to using in upcoming Scrap Squad projects.  

I have been married many years to a great guy who has financially supported my fabric collection.  My son is 25 years old and I hope to someday finish embroidering all the presidents and complete the quilt for him.   I am a member of a local quilt group called the Quilt Batts and I treasure their friendship.  I am also a member of an on-line block trading group called Quilting Together.  We have been trading blocks for over thirteen years and I have had the joy of meeting many of these ladies over the years at quilt shows. 

Linda

Not Ranked
Posts 37
Points 1,725
Kim replied on Sun, Jan 30 2011 7:26 PM

I love blue........this is just lovely.

Can't wait to see what we do next :0).

Happy Sewing,

Kim

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 12Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use