Walnut Place Retreat - September 24-28 2014

rated by 0 users
This post has 132 Replies | 13 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 14,341
Points 250,022
Thea replied on Sun, Sep 14 2014 8:25 PM

It appears as though we will be going straight up I-35...getting off at exit 128... according to the directions I am getting it is 3 1/2 hours approximately - so should take me maybe 1 stop for gas after we leave Barbara's since I will be driving our truck.   How many are going to stay at the retreat center that night for the $25 - I have to ask Barbara...  

Let me know if you want to meet up at her house and what time you want to meet there to leave.  I do not like driving after dark so would like to leave her house early enough to get to the area before dark sets in.  

I am game for almost anything - even leavning from here Tues and leaving Barbara's early Wed morning to get there by opening time.  I thought it might be fun though to take some time driving up there Tues and checking out some Quilt shops on the way... let me know... only one week left!!!

• Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 170
Points 2,770

Mary and I are game for leaving on Tuesday and stopping along the way. Remember that cute shop in Cameron, Thea? I wouldn't mind stopping there. Let me know what time we want to leave Barbara,s and we will be there.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 170
Points 2,770

We will plan to stay Tuesday night at the retreat center. Cheaper than a hotel.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 14,341
Points 250,022
Thea replied on Thu, Sep 18 2014 7:31 AM

I am getting closer and closer to saying the retreat center - but for me since I am taking care of Barbara it doesn't matter the cost because the cost for 2 at the retreat center is just a little below what I would pay at a motel/hotel... I get senior - whoo hoo and military discounts now... I just need a nice comfortable bed and a quiet room... I am hoping that someone who is coming won't mind sharing a room with me that doesn't snore!  I will, however, take what I can get - I am okay with anything.  I sleep about 5-6 hours a night and promise I will be as quiet as a mouse when I come to bed or get up in the morning!

Stressfree and I would love pain free...teehee... I'll settle for some great belly laughs and good times.  I have to make 3 quilt tops while there for the Sister Missionaries - the 4th Sister wants a Cat Quilt and that will take me more time.  I am teaching how to do applique when I get back home to some Sisters in my Ward.  Another woman from my ward asked if I would make a quilt for her out of her Dad's ties.  I hopefully kindly explained to her that I do not do this for a business and that I would put her name on my list of quilts to do but it might be 10 years before she made it to the top of the list - that I mostly make for just my family and really close friends.  I did tell her too that I would be glad to assist in teaching her how to make a quilt and that I would volunteer to quilt it on my Juki once it is done.  

I just never forget to be amazed when someone thinks you can just make a quilt at the drop of a hat - they never think of the real work that goes into them.  Jay says it is my own fault because I share all that I make on my facebook page but they don't happen overnight.  And the quilt tops that are becoming quilts right now have been made over the last few years - I didn't make those tops overnight.  

Oh well, I have said to anyone I will assist you but I won't make it - exception the Sister Missionaries because of the extraordinary work that they are doing giving 18 months of their lives away from family knocking on doors trying to bring all who don't know God to knowing and understanding what he brings to our lives.  

See you all  - every one of you on Wednesday and some of you on Tuesday!

• Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 109
Points 1,655
Judy replied on Thu, Sep 18 2014 8:40 AM

We stopped at Missouri Star Quilt Company on our way to Texas. That place is amazing! You have to get the deal of the day! And if you don't want it, get it for me!!

I will get to the retreat center around 4:00 on Tuesday to check in, and then you will be able to move in around 4:30 pm. You can all help get things set up and arranged the way we want it. Riverside said they would set up tables for us, so at least we won't have to do that.

There are 9 bedrooms with 3 non-bunk beds in each room. So, we should be able to have 2 - 3 people per room. I will bring several twin sheet sets if anyone needs one. Remember to bring your own towels.

Don't forget to bring your 17 - 10" squares in 2 fall color ways (34 total squares), your gift for the gift exchange, and 6 batik strips if you want to play LRC. Whoever's bringing the dice for LRC, don't forget!

I am so looking forward to seeing everyone!! Safe travels!!!!!

Judy

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 411
Points 7,055
Phyllis replied on Thu, Sep 18 2014 8:14 PM

Unfortunately I have to work Tuesday so I will be driving up Wednesday morning.  Is everyone else getting in on Tuesday?  If so save me a bed.  Preferably a bottom bunk close to the bathroom.  I go several times in the night!

Bonner Springs, Kansas

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 411
Points 7,055
Phyllis replied on Sat, Sep 20 2014 7:50 AM

What is the total count of us for the weekend?  Want to make sure I have enough layer cakes.  We are doing layer cakes and then 2 1/2" strips for a game, plus a gift, right?  Don't want to leave anything out.

Bonner Springs, Kansas

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 14,341
Points 250,022
Thea replied on Sat, Sep 20 2014 8:29 AM

Phyllis, I believe Judy said in an above post we needed 17 of two different fall batiks for the 10" squares to exchange and 6 2 1/2" strips of batiks for the game LRC.  I can't wait - just a few short days and I will be on my way... 

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 411
Points 7,055
Phyllis replied on Sat, Sep 20 2014 1:51 PM

Oh dear, do they have to be batiks?  I don't care for batiks and never use them.  Can I bring two fall layer cakes that are not batiks?

Also, can someone post the menus so that I will know what foods I will need to bring to fill in for my allergies and diabetes?

Bonner Springs, Kansas

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 109
Points 1,655
Judy replied on Sat, Sep 20 2014 2:28 PM

No, the 10" squares do not have to be batiks. Any fall fabric. The 2.5" strips should be batiks if you have them, but any fabric will do. 

Judy

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 411
Points 7,055
Phyllis replied on Sat, Sep 20 2014 7:49 PM

Thanks Judy, I'll bring my fall layer cakes.  Are we doing 2 layer cakes per person or 1 layer cake per person?

Bonner Springs, Kansas

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 411
Points 7,055
Phyllis replied on Sat, Sep 20 2014 7:52 PM

Could someone post the name and address of the retreat center so that I can do a Google map?

Bonner Springs, Kansas

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 411
Points 7,055
Phyllis replied on Sun, Sep 21 2014 1:33 PM

Just went back to the beginning and found the address and pinted off a map!  I'm good.

Bonner Springs, Kansas

Page 9 of 9 (133 items) «Prev56789
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2017 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.