Points 2,770

Is the kitchen fully equipped? 

• Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 109
Points 1,655
Judy replied on Mon, Aug 11 2014 6:32 AM

As far as I remember, it is. It's kind of industrial looking, but I'm pretty sure it had all the pans, dishes, etc. Here's a couple of pics I took last year.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 170
Points 2,770

Thanks, Judy. I was just wondering if we needed to bring stuff.

• Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 170
Points 2,770

Phyllis, I sent you a pm.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 14,199
Points 253,512
Thea replied on Tue, Aug 19 2014 8:04 AM

Just a little over a month away... do we have any solidified plans yet as to Food, gift exchange... are we doing a 10" square exchange?  if so , how many do we need?  are we going to do something like a show and tell?   

Curious girl here wants to know...

If there is a grocery store close by, I would be glad to do some shopping for one of the meals but do not think that I can carry food that far to make for a meal - but I will check it out - I might be able to make stuffed shells with alfredo sauce and freeze it and put in a cooler.   

I need to get organized so let me know where we stand on everything??? Do you want the little omelets from schwann's for some breakfast food?  

I am putting together my projects to make and making my lists!  

I can't believe it is just a little over a month away!  And I will be 60 - oh my - don't know if I'll be in a depression from just turning that corner or happy happy happy to finally be a SENIOR citizen... who knows!!!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 478
Points 6,090
Isabella replied on Tue, Aug 19 2014 8:23 AM

Hi Ladies,

finally I could renew my membership!!! I left I don't know how many messages and e-mail to Customer Services and it took them a month to answer….I am sure it is easier to be called back from the Pope!!!

Anyway here I am…and I have the same questions Thea as. Are we set for the 10" square exchange in fall colors? Do we have a final count on how many we are? 

We have 4 dinners to cover right? I can take one (still deciding on what to cook). Any food allergy or vegetarian in the group that we have to aware of? 

I have some time these days so if you want me to help with something let me know.

Isabella

Isabella

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 109
Points 1,655
Judy replied on Tue, Aug 19 2014 9:35 AM

Hello all! I was going to get this all typed up and posted on Friday, but my daughter and I decided to go to the State Fair instead! You can get whatever you want on a stick, so we decided on pork-chop-on-a-stick. It was delicious! They had a red velvet funnel cake that looked really good, but I refrained. Maybe next time!

So, yes we will do the 10” square block exchange in fall colors. We have 16 people signed up, so 16 squares of 2 different fabrics it is. You will need to bring a total of 32 squares (16 of 2 different fabrics), and you will leave with 32 different squares. Does that make sense?

We can also play the left, right, center game if you want. How about if we do that with 2-1/2” strips of whatever? So, if you want to play, bring 3 - 6 strips to play that game. Can someone bring the dice? Any other suggestions???

Here is the list of people signed up. We still have room for 4 more if you know of anyone who would like to attend. With 16 people the total cost of the retreat will be $95.00 each. If you already paid your deposit, you can deduct that from the amount, so most people will owe $70.00. I will write one check to the retreat center, so if you’re bringing a check, you can make it out to me. I have a couple people that might come for the day on Saturday to sew. I think we should be able to squeeze them in!

1. Althea                                   yes                                               2. Barbara                                maybe   

3. Elaine                                   yes                                               4. Beth                                       yes          

5. Darlene                                yes                                               6. Judy                                       yes          

7. Tari                                        yes                                               8. Sue                                         yes

9. Annette                                yes                                               10. Jodi                                      yes

11. Liz                                        yes                                               12. Gretchen                           yes          

13. Lena                                    yes                                               14. Isabella                              yes

15. Mary                                   yes                                               16. Phyllis                               yes                            

We can get into the retreat center at 8:30 am on Wednesday, September 24th, and we have to be out by 2:00 pm on Sunday, September 28th. There are nine bedrooms that sleep three people each (3 twin beds). You would need to bring your own bedding and towels. However, if you don’t have any twin sheets, I have a few sets that you could use – just let me know. There are shared bathrooms, and a full kitchen.

As far as meals go, here is what I have so far.

Breakfast:  at your leisure – cereal, toast, waffles, etc.                Annette, Althea

Lunch:   at your leisure – sandwiches, soup, chips, etc.            Elaine, Judy

Supper:                      Wednesday                            Beth, Darlene

Thursday                                 Isabella, Judy

Friday                                       

Saturday                                  

Snacks:  Everyone

The town of Story City is only about 3 miles from the retreat center, and there are several restaurants and a small grocery store. We could go out to eat one night if you want.

There are a few quilt shops within a short driving distance of the retreat center.

Quilting Connection, Ames, Iowa                                                         16 miles

Sew Bee It Quilt Shop, Jewell, Iowa                                                    10 miles

Mended Hearts Quilting & Boutique, Ellsworth, Iowa                      7 miles

Block Party Studios, Nevada, Iowa                                                      25 miles

Iowa Falls Sewing, Iowa Falls, Iowa                                                    37 miles

Let me know if you have any questions, or if you want to add something that I forgot! See you all in a month!!!

0 0 1 434 2479 ISU 20 5 2908 14.0 Normal 0 false false false EN-US JA X-NONE

Judy

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 109
Points 1,655
Judy replied on Tue, Aug 19 2014 9:43 AM

Oh, and I forgot about the gift exchange! We will do that again this year, too A small wrapped present of whatever you want to give. People usually spend around $15 - $20, or it can be something you made - whatever you want!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 109
Points 1,655
Judy replied on Tue, Aug 19 2014 9:45 AM

And I also saved all of the leftover paper plates, napkins, etc. from last year - I will bring those so we won't need to buy any new.

Judy

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 478
Points 6,090
Isabella replied on Tue, Aug 19 2014 10:33 AM

Great,

thanks for all the info. Any idea if we do the T shirts again? 

I can make them if you want as I did two years ago. Let me know

Isabella

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 411
Points 7,065
Phyllis replied on Tue, Aug 19 2014 6:19 PM

It's been a long time since I've been on here but I've been reading your posts in my emails.  Spending most of my time with my Dad who is sinking deeper and deeper into advanced stage alzheimers.  I am so ready for the break this retreat will be!  It is my first one so you guys will have to pull me along.  I am a diabetic and am allergic to milk and milk products, and chocolate.  I am difficult to cook around, believe me.  When menus are decided on, if they could be posted, I can see what I can and cannot eat and I will bring food to fill in.  I'm going to read through all the posts again and make a list of all the things that have been decided upon so that I can keep up from now on.  I will be bringing my sewing machine and the table it fits on.  Can bring my cutting mat, ironing board and iron if needed.  I drive a Toyota Avalon,full size car so I can fill it up!

Bonner Springs, Kansas

• Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,180
Points 22,495

Phyllis - looking forward to meeting you!!  On Friday, Darlene and I planning pizza.  Is there something we can fix for you, would be willing to do so.  

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 478
Points 6,090
Isabella replied on Wed, Aug 20 2014 8:04 AM

Hi Phyllis,

I am allergic to chocolate too! Being Italian I was thinking about cooking some pasta. I can make it with a simple tomato sauce or any other sauce that does not have any dairy in it. It will be ok for you? Let me know if not I can come up with some other ideas.

Looking forward to meeting you and all the other ladies.

Isabella

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 170
Points 2,770

I feel so sorry for Isabella and Phyllis! Allergic to chocolate??? How can you quilt?

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 478
Points 6,090
Isabella replied on Fri, Aug 22 2014 8:15 AM

Elaine it's easy: if it's before 5 i quilt with licorice and tea….after 5pm it's definitely wine and cheese.

Isabella

Page 6 of 9 (133 items) «Prev45678Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.