Walnut Place Retreat - September 24-28 2014

rated by 0 users
This post has 132 Replies | 13 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 26
Points 565

Is there still room for 2 more?  Exactly how much would the total cost be for the entire 4 days?? I have been looking for over a year for a retreat that I can afford. This would be perfect for me.

• Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 109
Points 1,655
Judy replied on Tue, Jul 15 2014 7:28 AM

Yes there is! I am on vacation right now, and all my info is at home. I will get back to you this weekend. The cost should be right around $100 and the we divide into to groups of 2-3 people to prepare a meal. 

Judy

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,577
Points 246,572
Thea replied on Sat, Jul 26 2014 10:03 AM

Judy, Could you give me the exact address - I for some reason am unable to find it - I know Story Iowa but am trying to map it all out and figure out my route... I am going to try and stop and see some family in Early Iowa either on my way there or home... and is Barbara fully paid for the retreat?  If not, please let me know so I can budget that in.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 379
Points 5,100
Annette replied on Sun, Jul 27 2014 7:31 PM

Hey Thea!

I've included the web site for the camp below.   The town is called 'Story City', and the camp is located just north of it.   On the link below, hit the 'About' tab, then 'Directions'.   If that isn't clear enough, let us know.

I'm already starting to think about what to bring and work on.   It'll be time to go and sew before you know it!

http://www.riversidelbc.org/

Annette

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 109
Points 1,655
Judy replied on Tue, Jul 29 2014 7:50 AM

Hello ladies!

How is everyone doing? I can't believe the summer is over half gone! Time is just flying by. I think it is time to start organizing this retreat!!!

The address of the retreat center is 3001 Riverside Rd., Story City, IA 50248. Phone is 5157335271. We will be in the Johnson Retreat Center where there are twin beds for 20 people. We need to furnish our own linens. I have a few extra sheet sets, so if you need one, let me know. Also if you are flying in, we could come up with a machine for you to use.

The retreat center will be available to us Wednesday, Sept. 24th at 8:00 am, and we are to be out Sunday, Sept. 28th at 2:00 pm. The total cost for the retreat is $1520 and right now with 14 people signed up for sure, the cost is $108.57 each. The more people we get, the less expensive it will be. Most people have sent in their $25 deposit, so that will be deducted from your cost also. Here is the current list:

Attendees                      Attending in 2014

1. Althea                       yes

2. Barbara                     ?

3. Elaine                       yes

4. Beth                          yes

5. Darlene                     yes

6. Judy                          yes

7. Tari                          yes

8. Sue                          yes

9. Annette                     yes

10. Becky                      no

11. Liz                          yes

12. Gretchen                 yes

13. Lena                       yes

14. Isabella                   yes   

15. Mary                       yes

16. Phyllis                     yes

17. Gaylene                   ?

0 0 1 52 297 ISU 2 1 348 14.0 Normal 0 false false false EN-US JA X-NONE

We will also be dividing into groups of two to prepare meals. I think last time we did breakfast on your own (cereal, muffins, etc), and then had lunch and dinner. Does anyone remember for sure.

Looking forward to seeing everyone soon! If you know of anyone else who would like to come, we still have space and would love to have them.

Judy

• Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 118
Points 2,030

I'm volunteering to bring cold cuts, bread, condiments and some chips for some lunches. And some stuff for some breakfast. I hate to cook, so I think this would be good for all of us!!

• Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 490
Points 9,250
Darlene replied on Thu, Jul 31 2014 12:01 PM

I like the idea of a square swap rather than a block swap but fine with what all want to do.Annette the waffle queen you make the best waffles .I will help eat them maybe even bite a hand or two to get my share lol LRC game is fun and quick just let me know what we will use to play .I am looking forward to seeing everyone again and meeting new friends .Thanks for  getting us organized Judy

Darlene(2manyhorses)

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 118
Points 2,030

I would prefer the square swap as apposed to blocks. Time is too short to do blocks, I think.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 118
Points 2,030

Oh, and I would definitely like to see some new quilt shops.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 109
Points 1,655
Judy replied on Mon, Aug 4 2014 11:41 AM

There are several quilt shops within 15-20 miles that we can visit!

So how does the 10" square exchange work? How many squares does everyone bring? How do we exchange. I think it's a great idea.

Also, is everyone still interested in a gift exchange? I thought that was kind of fun last time.

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,577
Points 246,572
Thea replied on Mon, Aug 4 2014 12:54 PM

10" square is fine with me - I have a lot of layer cakes to choose from... gift exchange - thought that was a definite - what happened to Sue's idea - instead of the 10' square... didn't she have an idea about 2 1/2" strips from our fabrics?  I wouldn't be able to do from my fabrics as 40 boxes are in storage already but I do have enough of either to bring strips of the 10" square... let me know - game for anything!!1 

I can't wait for the day when I leave to come.  Judy - did you get my question about is Barbara paid in full?  I don't want to say anything to her about it till I know that - and if she isn't, I will budget in to pay for hers.  I want to know before I talk to her.  I will be here in OK still so able to swing up to her place and pick her up - and Elaine and I believe Phyllis - do you want to caravan from there?  I think it would be fun to check out Missouri Star again like we did that one year Elaine and maybe take a day or two stopping at hotels on our way to the Retreat... of course, as you can tell I need a get away...

Just got checked out by my heart doctor and he said I am okay to travel again but under no circumstances am I to stress myself - I told him when he figured out how I was to do that to let me know... But I don't foresee anything stressful between now and then... I see my GP tomorrow and expect him to give me the thumbs up for traveling too!  

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 37
Points 535

I am for 10" squares.  And I too would love to see new quilt shops. 

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 379
Points 5,100
Annette replied on Wed, Aug 6 2014 7:07 AM

I haven't been in a square/fabric exchange before.   Believe we all bring enough squares to give everyone one square.   Or we could bring enough to give everyone two.   Just like the block exchange, but we handing out squares of fabric instead of completed blocks.   You wouldn't have to use the same fabric for all blocks - that way you can use some in your stash if needed - as long as they would coordinate and go with the decided theme/colorway.   .We would have to agree on a 'theme'/colorway (fall, christmas, floral, batiks, blues, white/black, etc) so that individually we could create something out of all the squares.   That could be a challenge for the next retreat - show what we made.   My vote is for fall colors.

I'm still interested in a gift exchange - but you may need to describe this to the newbies.

What do we need to bring sewing wise, as far as extra cutting mats, ironing boards/irons?    Any 'goodies' that we want to give away (ie: books/patterns we don't need)?    Anything needed for the kitchen?

Annette

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 118
Points 2,030

I'm with Annette. Fall colors, since fall is fast approaching. Two squares for each sounds good. I'm all for the gift exchange. I can bring my large mat again. And I have a couple of extra ott lights if anyone needs one. 

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 37
Points 535

Fall fabrics sound good to me too.  What food and kitchen stuff do we need to bring?  Do we need extension cords for extra outlets?

Page 5 of 9 (133 items) «Prev34567Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use