2013 Oregon coast, Beachcomber's Haven, Gleneden Beach. Oct 13-18.

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,226 Replies | 29 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,790
Nana replied on Thu, Jan 17 2013 5:42 PM

Gini

That would work with fruit but I tend to make custard type pies...pecan, pumpkin, oatmeal, butterscotch, coconut custard....etc, etc,   I don't think the filling would stay on the circle very well...LOL

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,790
Nana replied on Thu, Jan 17 2013 5:46 PM

Donna

I have only eaten whole crab once.  That was when my DD lived on the coast of  Maryland.  They were really yummy.   Do you guys do yours with Old Bay seasoning or is there something else that is more regional to your area.

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Thu, Jan 17 2013 10:37 PM

Goodness, all this talk of food is making me really hungry!  Love the seafood restaurant idea!  What's this about no M&Ms?  They are almost a necessity while I'm quilting.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,225
Points 41,065
Donna B replied on Fri, Jan 18 2013 12:10 AM

Nana:

Donna

I have only eaten whole crab once.  That was when my DD lived on the coast of  Maryland.  They were really yummy.   Do you guys do yours with Old Bay seasoning or is there something else that is more regional to your area.

Well this is kind of a double question.  

First of all, the crab you had from Maryland was probably blue crab and they are very different from the Dungeness Crabs found on the Oregon/Washington Coast.  IMHO the Dungeness are the VERY best and tastiest!  Also, much larger than blue crabs.  To start with, the body (not including the legs) of a Dungeness crab has to be at least 6 inches across to legally be kept after trapping.  Each leg & claw  averages about 6 inches long with 8 legs and 2 claws on each crab. So you get a lot of crab meat from each crab!

Now, I have to admit, I am really picky about my crab...LOL!  Being an Oregon Native and being raised on Dungeness Crab from the Oregon Coast my first taste dungeness crab from Puget Sound (near Seattle) was a shock.  Puget Sound is a large enclosed inland sea that is not nearly as salty as the open ocean.  It has a lot of fresh water rivers coming into it that dilute the salt-water and the tidal action from the ocean is a lot less so the salt water is not replenished as fast as the rivers dilute the water.  Therefore, the water is more brackish...and the crabs are less flavorful from Puget Sound...IMHO!  (Sorry Judy T!)

Traditionally, dungeness crab is cooked in straight sea-water (salt-brine) without any additional seasonings.   Alaska king crab and snow crab (which are also found in the Pacific Ocean) both have a milder flavor than dungeness and can benefit from additional seasonings.  But, IMHO, the dungeness have more flavor and are at their best with just salt water.  (I have had other crab and crayfish cooked in Old Bay and/or pickling spices, but not dungeness.)   We might want to have some of each, so people can try it both ways to see what they like best.

Now maybe some other NW Natives want to jump in with their crab opinions here... but, this is mine, and I am sticking to it...LOL!

Winthrop, WA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,225
Points 41,065
Donna B replied on Fri, Jan 18 2013 12:28 AM

lcqultr46:

We're just getting the fresh Dungeness crabs in now Donna and they are great. My dad pre-ordered  and George picked up four yesterday for him. $40 but well worth it. We eat them with cole slaw, Ritz crackers and Miracle whip. Sounds tacky but very yummy!

This just shows you that lots of northwest natives have different favorite ways of eating cracked crab!  I think it would be fun if we offer people lots of alternatives so they can try what might appeal to them...

There is a restaurant in Seattle that serves crab "Clam Bake" style - dumping cracked crab, boiled potatoes, carrots, onions on the table family style...just dig in!

lcqultr46:
 In October our corn should still be producing, I'd be glad to throw in a couple of dozen ears. That many less that I have to freeze.

I was thinking the same thing Judy...but we'll have to see how the summer and fall goes to say for sure.  (Last year, we lost all of our remaining corn the first week of October to an early freeze!)

Winthrop, WA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,225
Points 41,065
Donna B replied on Fri, Jan 18 2013 12:31 AM

MNnancy:

Goodness, all this talk of food is making me really hungry!  Love the seafood restaurant idea!  What's this about no M&Ms?  They are almost a necessity while I'm quilting.

You can have your M&M's Nancy...by that time I am going to be completely off of the chocolate addiction (yea, right)...at least I am hoping to be.

At least keep them more than smelling distance from my nose please...LOL!

Winthrop, WA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,225
Points 41,065
Donna B replied on Fri, Jan 18 2013 12:37 AM

Donna B:

MNnancy:

You can have your M&M's Nancy...by that time I am going to be completely off of the chocolate addiction (yea, right)...at least I am hoping to be.

At least keep them more than smelling distance from my nose please...LOL!

Just wanted you to know that I went to Bunco tonight...with M&M's at every table and never ate ONE!!!  I am being SOOOO GOOOD!  I smelled them, but didn't do any real "whiffing"...and wasn't tempted, at least too much...yea!

Winthrop, WA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,790
Nana replied on Fri, Jan 18 2013 10:30 AM

Donna

They probably were blue crab.  They were on the small side and you had to eat several to have a meal.  I don't know that I have ever eaten anything else except king crab legs.

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,849
Points 141,490

Donna is right (no need to apologize-LOL). And, there is a HUGE difference if the crab has been frozen and not fresh caught. Even though I'm a Pacific NW native, I'm not a huge crab fan but I do enjoy fresh crab from the coldest ocean waters. Some dip it in melted butter and lemon juice but I prefer it plain. What I love are steamers (Little Neck clams) but they have to be fresh. That's getting harder and harder here in the northern Puget Sound region because of toxic red tides which prevent gathering of shell fish in the warmer months.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,790
Nana replied on Fri, Jan 18 2013 1:19 PM

Do you guys get alot of oysters in your area?  There used to be lots of oysters in the Chesapeake Bay region but they have really dwindled in numbers over the last few years,

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,225
Points 41,065
Donna B replied on Fri, Jan 18 2013 3:19 PM

Nana:

Donna

They probably were blue crab.  They were on the small side and you had to eat several to have a meal.  I don't know that I have ever eaten anything else except king crab legs.

I tried blue crab when I was at a convention in DC a few years ago and (sorry) was not too impressed (crab affectionado that I am...lol).  Right after we moved to Seattle from Oregon in the early 60's was when the big Alaska earthquake happened.  They were selling Alaska king crab on the Seattle waterfront as a fundraiser, so we thought that was a good opportunity to try it (as we never had had any before).  Being used to Dungeness crabs, we thought it was rather flavorless - way too mild to our taste.  Personally, that is why I think people dip it in butter.

As Judy T said, fresh crab is always best, but we have had very good luck with our source for frozen crab in Lincoln City.  They cook them straight off the boat and flash freeze them immediately so they are as close to fresh as you can get out of season. (BTW, my parents bought crabs from them in the late 40's & early 50's!)

Anyway, you are in for a treat with Dungeness Crab!!!

Winthrop, WA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,225
Points 41,065
Donna B replied on Fri, Jan 18 2013 3:40 PM

Nana:

Do you guys get alot of oysters in your area?  There used to be lots of oysters in the Chesapeake Bay region but they have really dwindled in numbers over the last few years,

Yes, there are oysters in the northwest!  As you probably know, oysters grow on rocks or pilings in tidal estuaries/bays and not in open surf areas.  The tiny Olympic oyster from southern Puget Sound is famous and very pricey!  

A bit of Oregon history - By the time we were growing up in Oregon (1940-60), all the oyster beds in that state had been over-harvested and destroyed.  (Oregon was settled much earlier than Washington and many of the early wagon-train settlers survived by hunting, gathering seafood, berries, etc to supplement their diet before supplies were available to purchase.  This set up a culture where many Oregonians felt that living off the bounty of the land was their god-given right...without much thought of the consequences.  Fortunately, times have improved that mentality!)  The Hood Canal and southern end of Puget Sound are the best places in Washington for oysters.  They also had pressure from over harvesting, but regulations were put in place to save them before they were destroyed completely (which didn't happen in time in Oregon).  But those locations are now dealing with the same red tide and pollution issues that threaten the clam beds Judy T mentioned.

We were very pleased last summer to see that there is an effort to restore the oyster beds in Oregon.  That would be wonderful! 

Winthrop, WA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,225
Points 41,065
Donna B replied on Fri, Jan 18 2013 3:41 PM

Sorry for rambling on so...I'm a bit of an Oregon history buff...  

Winthrop, WA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,790
Nana replied on Fri, Jan 18 2013 3:55 PM

Donna

Ramble away.  I love learning the history of different areas.  Having grown up in Virginia which is a hotbed of early American history I have grown to love history of the different areas.   I know that most of the western states are very "new" in the grand scheme of things.   Virginia is over 400 yrs old so lots of history.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,403
Points 119,661
Patti replied on Fri, Jan 18 2013 8:52 PM

Food, food, food.  Is that all we think about?  Nana, pies and shrimp?  I make a good Thai curry.   It's really easy and I can do it for everyone, if someone else takes care of the rice.   

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• Post Points: 50
Page 16 of 82 (1227 items) «Prev1415161718Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.