Branson, Missouri - Stone Castle Hotel -March 2nd thru March 8th 2013

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,249 Replies | 28 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,497
Points 30,470
Diana replied on Sat, Jan 26 2013 12:38 PM

Hi Gang,   One month to go.  Can't wait.  Just to remind everyone.....be sure to label the stuff that is yours.  We don't want things to get all mixed up and someone walking away with things by mistake.  I have a label maker I can bring so to be sure to get things marked well.  We all have so many mats, rulers, scissors, ott-lights, etc that look alike, want to be sure they go home with their moms.....hehehe  I'm going to bring whatever will fit in my car.  I have 2 riders so it may be limited, but I can get a lot of stuff in that car of mine.

Huggs All,   Diana (Bink) in East Tn.

• Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,812
MNnancy replied on Sat, Jan 26 2013 1:50 PM

Kris:
Waaah. I'm sorry too. I can hardly stand it.

Can you take some time off work and sew at home with us?  If you are corresponding and uploading pictures at the same time we are, it will almost be like having you there.  Say, didn't someone suggest Skype?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,650
Points 135,977
Leslie replied on Sat, Jan 26 2013 8:17 PM

Me too Kris, i was really hoping to get to meet you

[Ava, Missouri

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,471
Points 116,810

That Quilters Strip Poker they are talking about in the Smokey Mountain retreat group sounds kind of fun. Is this something we want to do?  I found some rules online

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,812
MNnancy replied on Sat, Jan 26 2013 8:51 PM

I'll play, Judy!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,765
Nana replied on Sat, Jan 26 2013 10:42 PM

Judy

I think poker sounds like fun. Now saying that I will have to get my SIL to teach me how to play poker....LOL.    The only thing I can vaguely remember is blackjack...LOL

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,765
Nana replied on Sat, Jan 26 2013 10:42 PM

Nancy

I think skyping with Kris sounds like great fun.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,471
Points 116,810

Nana:

Judy

I think poker sounds like fun. Now saying that I will have to get my SIL to teach me how to play poker....LOL.    The only thing I can vaguely remember is blackjack...LOL

Nana, you don't need to know how to play. It's really not much like poker at all. What does everyone think? Want to go stripping in Branson? I'll bring a deck of cards. We'd need more decks if there are several tables.  According to the instructions, those that want to play would need to bring about 75 2-1/2" strips. That seems like a lot, but we could just make the strips from our stash, wouldn't have to be a collection.  In fact, weird, leftover or unwanted fabrics would be fun. A good chance to get rid of those fabrics you absolutely HATE.  I would think we would want to specify that all strips have to be WOF and 100% cotton.

So far, me, Nana, NancyMN. Who else wants to play? I've copied below the instructions that I found on the internet. If we get at least 5 that's a table but everyone can play. We'd just break up into several tables depending on the number of strippers participating.

This is just one version of the game I found. There may be others that are better, if anyone has a better suggestion.

Quilter's Strip Poker

Cut strips 2-1/2 inch wide X 44 inches long (Width of Fabric), roll the strip up and rubber band in the middle. It is suggested that each player start out with between 75-100 strips.

To maintain fairness, each player will have the same number of opportunities to deal. Dealer deals out 5 cards to each of the players at the table. Cards are placed face-up on the table in front of the players. From this hand, 5 games will be played:

Game 1 – POKER HAND
All players ante up one strip to play. Player with the best poker hand takes all strips. Winning hands following in ranked order:
Royal flush – A, K, Q, J, 10 is the highest straight flush.
Straight flush – 5 cards in sequential ranking order and in the same suit
Four-of-a-kind
Full house – Three-of-a-kind and a pair
Flush – Five cards in the same suit is a flush
Straight – Five cards in numerical sequence of any suit
Three-of-a-kind
Two Pair
One Pair

Game 2 – PUT IN
In this game, players will ante up strips when they have a card that matches one of the next 5 cards the dealer turns up. The number of strips to be anted up depends on the order in which the dealer turns over the card that matches – the number paid in increases with each card flipped. If a player has multiples of a number, they must pay in multiples.

Example: dealer turns up 1st, a 3 – players with 3’s ante 1 strip for each
2nd, a 4 – players with 4’s ante 2 strips for each
3rd, a 9 – players with 9’s ante 3 strips for each, etc.

Game 3 – TAKE OUT
This game works in the reverse of the put in. The number of strips to be taken out depends on the order in which the dealer turns over the card that matches – the number taken out increases with each card flipped. If a player has multiples of a number, they may take out in multiples. 

Example: dealer turns up 1st, a 3 – players with 3’s take 1 strip for each
2nd, a 4 – players with 4’s take 2 strips for each
3rd, a 9 – players with 9’s take 3 strips for each, etc.

If there are not enough strips in the pot, the dealer must pay any owed out of her own stash to make up the difference. If there are strips left over in the pot, the dealer gets to keep them.

Game 4 – BINGO
In this game, the dealer will flip over cards and players will place 1 strip on each card they have that matches the flipped card until all cards are covered with at least one strip. If the same number comes up again, players continue to place strips on that card, building up a potentially large pile.

Player to first cover all cards and yell, “Bingo,” wins all strips from the bingo game. In the case of a tie, strips will be divided equally.

Game 5 – DEALER COUNTS  ( I actually have a question about this step and what the various face cards count)
This is an opportunity for the dealer to win big. The dealer will flip 10 cards. If the number on the face of the card matches the position in which it was flipped, all players must pay the dealer the number of strips on the face.

Example: dealer turns up 1st card, a 1 – players pay 1 strip to the dealer
2nd card, turns up a 4 – players pay nothing
3rd card, turns up a 3 – players pay 3 strips to the dealer, etc until 10 cards have been turned up.

Start over with a new dealer and continue until everyone at the table takes a turn as dealer.

• Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sun, Jan 27 2013 2:59 AM

Judy I'd be willing to give it a go . I have some strip rolls already made up from scraps ,so I'll just bring those.

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,684
Points 65,980
Bonita replied on Sun, Jan 27 2013 11:57 AM

Judy, I'll play too. Going to get out the stripe dye and see what I want to cut up.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,471
Points 116,810

Bonita:

Judy, I'll play too. Going to get out the stripe dye and see what I want to cut up.

Oh, Yippee! Stripper Poker. Thanks to the Smoky Mountain ladies for the idea.  I do have a bin full of left over jelly roll strips that haven't been used for anything. If I don't have 75, I'll dig into my "white elephant" stash.  Folks, let's not put expense into this. It's going to be a fun and funny game. Bring your ugliest/worst/most outrageous fabric strips. Just be sure they are 2-1/2 x WOF. (or, if shorter just pin or baste two strips together).

Really, I cannot wait. No signups necessary. Everyone can play, we'll decide on which evening when we're all together.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,009
Points 19,440

Poker will be fun.  But how about left right center?  We would only need 9 strips instead of 75 and we can all play at one table.  My guild does this and we have 20+ playing at the same time.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,471
Points 116,810

Beth Weigt:

Poker will be fun.  But how about left right center?  We would only need 9 strips instead of 75 and we can all play at one table.  My guild does this and we have 20+ playing at the same time.

Beth, that's a great idea! I love LRC. Let's do that at least one time. 

We can do both games and any others people come up with. Maybe LRC could be with charm squares or something? We'll need dice. I have a set of LRC dice.....somewhere. Like bringing money, I'll bring charms and strips to "spend".

Only a month before George and I head for the airport. By the way MNNancy, I didn't get down my suitcase after all. You know why? It wasn't there!!! I stood in the middle of the garage scratching my head. Then I remembered loaning it to my granddaughter last summer. She's in the middle of moving to a new apartment so it'll be a couple weeks before I can get it.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 981
Points 24,590

Not sure I'll be able to make this one. Phil has put in for time off but waiting for his regular supervisor to return. The temp is saying that nobody can take time off during the first 6 days of the month (don't know why) at the post office where he works so he put in beginning Feb 28. I don't want to drive that far alone, although he said I should go myself if he cannot. Will keep you posted.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,765
Nana replied on Sun, Jan 27 2013 4:21 PM

Mary

If Phil can't go you could always carpool with Diana and her 2 riders.  We could put 2 to a car and switch around as needed or wanted.   This may give you the option to still come and not have to drive the whole way by yourself.

Vinton, Virginia

Page 50 of 84 (1250 items) «Prev4849505152Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use