Branson, Missouri - Stone Castle Hotel -March 2nd thru March 8th 2013

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,249 Replies | 28 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,465
Points 416,784
gini replied on Sat, Sep 22 2012 11:10 AM

frances, do you want my, "how to pack for airplane travel",   lecture?

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sat, Sep 22 2012 11:12 AM

Gini,   "that's priceless "  

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,508
Points 48,175
Frances replied on Sat, Sep 22 2012 11:20 AM

Thanks Barbara,

You are such a star.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,508
Points 48,175
Frances replied on Sat, Sep 22 2012 11:27 AM

gini:

frances, do you want my, "how to pack for airplane travel",   lecture?

Gini,

I would love your lecture as

1. I havent flown since i was about 17

2. I have never flown longer than 4 hours

3. Never been to the states and dont know what security is like (does coming over with a pair of dressmaker scissors mean im part of some secret cell, see i watch NCIS)

4. After Branson im off to Arizona to see Marlene hopefully, so im presuming there will be a slight change in temperature.

5. Clothes, as anyone who knows me will tell you i have two lots of clothes Gardening clothes for when im gardening and Work clothes for when i go to work, so im already having to get a new wardrobe.

So Gini HELP i need your lecture. (i feel about 4 asking my mum what to pack)

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,465
Points 416,784
gini replied on Sat, Sep 22 2012 1:21 PM

on overseas flights, you should be able to check one bag, free.   right? 

save all your old underwear with holes in them that you are gong to toss out, wear them and throw them away as you use them.  this saves a bit of room in the bag going home.  the same thing for old shirts.  pants.

we are more into comfort than style.  i bring older clothes that maybe don't fit quite right, or your favorite shirt that got a spot on it that won't go away,  give it one last  wear on your trip and leave it behind.  same thing with socks, save your socks with holes or mismatched socks and wear them on the trip.  bring one sweater, wear it on the plane, one jacket and carry it on the plane.  you can stuff them both in the overhead bin on the plane, they take up way too much room in the bag.   one pair of shoes, the ones you are wearing.   shoes take up way too much space. 

mostly you will want to wear comfy sweats to sew in. if you have old sweats you were thinking about tossing, they would be perfect, you can leave them behind. you can wear them several days in a row.   we don't care if you spill soup on your shirt, you can scrub most of it off with a napkin.   there is a washer and dryer at the hotel.   we shared loads of laundry in virginia beach to save on soap costs.  marlene will have a washer, too.   you can wash your clothes as you go,  so you don't have to pack as many.

if you are dithering about taking something, leave it.  chances are pretty good you won't need it and it will take up space.  for instance, you won't melt in the rain, don't pack an umbrella.  there will be soap and shampoo in the showers,  you just need enough when you go to marlene's. 

you can't take liquids in more than a 3 oz. amount.  put all your liquids in a clear baggie, and if you are checking bags put these in the check bag.   make sure you have any drugs or jewelry in your carry on items.  make sure you have one change of clothes  and a couple pair of undies in your carry on.   it doesn't happen often, but luggage can go on a separate vacation, and you could be without your luggage for a couple of days until they find it.   this has only happened to me twice.

a general rule of thumb for traveling,   pack your bag and gather your money.   now, take out half the clothes and double the amount of money,  that should be about right.

as i think of more stuff, i'll let you know.  

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,465
Points 416,784
gini replied on Sat, Sep 22 2012 1:26 PM

i think you might need an adapter for electrical stuff.   there are blow dryers for your hair  in the rooms, marlene will have one you can borrow, too.   i'm assuming you are staying with marlene.  don't you love how i loan out your things, marlene?   :  )   there will be irons and ironing boards in the rooms.

i wear one nice outfit that's comfortable to fly in and i wear that same outfit back home.   try not to wear anything metal, like belt buckles or have change in your pockets.  you will have to take your shoes off, slip ons are easier, if you wear them.

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,465
Points 416,784
gini replied on Sat, Sep 22 2012 1:43 PM

sewing supplies

you won't need to bring anything except your little applique scissors,  you should only need the fabric(s) you are working on, the pattern(s), a small pincushion, your thread,     we rely on those driving to bring the big stuff, like;  sewing machines, shears, rotary cutters and mats, rulers, etc.  sometimes folks bring bags of scraps for everyone to look through, and use as needed.  

you won't read as much as you think you will, leave one of the books home.

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,508
Points 48,175
Frances replied on Sat, Sep 22 2012 1:43 PM

gini:

i think you might need an adapter for electrical stuff.   there are blow dryers for your hair  in the rooms, marlene will have one you can borrow, too.   i'm assuming you are staying with marlene.  don't you love how i loan out your things, marlene?   :  )   there will be irons and ironing boards in the rooms.

i wear one nice outfit that's comfortable to fly in and i wear that same outfit back home.   try not to wear anything metal, like belt buckles or have change in your pockets.  you will have to take your shoes off, slip ons are easier, if you wear them.

Gini

You really are a godsend,

just a couple of points, hair dryers dont use them havent in years my hair is long almost down to my b***, if i blow dryed it i would be there for hours (to me thats a waste of time) so it gets washed, towelled dry and plaited thats it, as a rule i dont wear anything metal (working packing chocolates im not allowed to) so now i generally dont wear watches or jewellry.

The comfortable outfits no problems have those, the smart one may be more of a problem since i normally look like ive been pulled through a hedge backwards and thats on a good day, and when you say drugs i take it you mean tablets medication and not  the dodgy stuff.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,465
Points 416,784
gini replied on Sat, Sep 22 2012 2:02 PM

frances, our smart clothes here are pretty casual.  there is no place in branson that we will be going  that you can't wear shorts or jeans and t-shirts and birkensotcks.  i'm sure that there are fancier places here, i haven't found them.  mind you i haven't looked.  if there are any shows here you are interested in seeing.  jeans, shorts, or casual slacks will get you in any theatre.  branson is in the ozarks and there are a lot of plain folks here.  i don't know what arizona is like,  but i can't think of any place here in north idaho i need to dress up for, i just need to remember to get dressed when i venture outside.  some of my jammies have gappies and i live in a condo with a few neighbors.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,045
Nana replied on Sun, Sep 23 2012 10:54 AM

Frances

Branson is a tourist town.  All tourist towns here in the states have a very lax dress code.  You will see people in a nice restuarant with jeans and t-shirts.  Just dress comfortable.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sun, Sep 23 2012 11:19 AM

Sue Duffy has had to drop out of this retreat . so we have an opening if anyone else would like to attend .   Lillie you are first on  the waiting list , let me know if you are still intrested .

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,508
Points 48,175
Frances replied on Sun, Sep 23 2012 1:36 PM

Nana:

Frances

Branson is a tourist town.  All tourist towns here in the states have a very lax dress code.  You will see people in a nice restuarant with jeans and t-shirts.  Just dress comfortable.

Thanks Nana,

Ive decided i will just buy 7 pairs of pyjamas and then im set for the week.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sun, Sep 23 2012 7:20 PM

Lillie say no so we have an opening. if anyone want s to attend let me know .

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,473
Points 24,140

AWWW< I was looking forward to seeing Sue Duffy at Branson. I'm sorry you can't come, Sue.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,045
Nana replied on Sun, Sep 23 2012 10:09 PM

Sue

We will all miss you.  I have a blast with you at retreats.  I hope that maybe you will change your mind and come party with us.  You are so much fun.

Vinton, Virginia

Page 33 of 84 (1250 items) «Prev3132333435Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use