2012 Leavenworth Row Quilt

rated by 0 users
This post has 261 Replies | 15 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,195
Points 24,070
Elizabeth replied on Wed, Mar 28 2012 1:15 PM

Sorry, I can not find the instructions for how we are doing this row quilt.  There are so many threads I can not find the exact instructions.  I am having surgery April 6th so need to get started so I do not fall behind.

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,720
Nana replied on Wed, Mar 28 2012 1:57 PM

Elizabeth

You need to pick a theme and colors for your quilt.  These you post in the thread called  Row Quilt Themes.  The rows need to be 42 1/2 inches wide but they can be any height.  You do the row for your quilt first and post a pic so that everyone can see it.   Then you will have a Name of the person to do the other rows for.   You will be given a different person for each month thru Aug to total 4 rows.   You can look in the "Themes" thread to see what each person's theme is and also colors.  We will share pics of the rows we do on Private Messages with everyone working on that person's quilt.   For instance if you have Gini's name you will share pics of that row with everyone else doing rows for Gini.   But we don't share with the person receiving the rows.    Hope this makes sense.   If you have questions just ask and we will try to help.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,195
Points 24,070
Elizabeth replied on Wed, Mar 28 2012 2:03 PM

Nana:
You need to pick a theme and colors for your quilt

Thank you Nana this makes total sense. I did put my theme and colors on the thread row Quilt themes.  when does my row need to be done??? and where do I post the pic???

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,339
Points 414,684
gini replied on Wed, Mar 28 2012 6:06 PM

that's right judy,

and  that means nancy will HAVE to make a new chart, and it will be VERTICAL. which she doesn't like to do. but she's really nice,  and for you, i'm sure she will do it special.   :  )

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,720
Nana replied on Wed, Mar 28 2012 8:35 PM

Elizabeth

We are supposed to have our own rows finished no later than the end of April.  I don't see any reason why we couldn't post our row pics in the Row Quilt Theme thread.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,195
Points 24,070
Elizabeth replied on Wed, Mar 28 2012 8:50 PM

YIKES, I am having back surgery April 6th and I wil be out of commission for 4-6 weeks.  Should I drop out????

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

• Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Wed, Mar 28 2012 9:01 PM

May

June

July

August

Quilter

During April, we each work on our own first row and post a picture to the whole group by April 30 or sooner.

Donna

Elizabeth’s

Gini’s

Jacy’s

Judy’s

Elizabeth

Gini’s

Jacy’s

Judy’s

Lisa’s

Gini

Jacy’s

Judy’s

Lisa’s

Maggie’s

Jacy

Judy’s

Lisa’s

Maggie’s

Nana’s

JudyEE

Lisa’s

Maggie’s

Nana’s

Nancy’s

Lisa

Maggie’s

Nana’s

Nancy’s

Patti’s

Maggie

Nana’s

Nancy’s

Patti’s

Donna’s

Nana

Nancy’s

Patti’s

Donna’s

Elizabeth’s

MNnancy

Patti’s

Donna’s

Elizabeth’s

Gini’s

Patti

Donna’s

Elizabeth’s

Gini’s

Jacy’s

During Sept, finish up any incomplete rows.  Even if not done on time, pictures of progress should have been shared with the next quilter so she could get started during her month.

The chart was redone in vertical format with quilt owners' name listed in alphabetical order down the first column.  How does this look for everyone?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Wed, Mar 28 2012 9:28 PM

Here are the suggested guidelines once again:

ROUND ROBIN ROW QUILT:

A row quilt is a quilt where each robin member makes a row in a specific width (42 inches across finished - 42.5" w/ seam allowances), determines the theme (post themes and any color requests HERE), and then sends a picture of the row to robin members of their group who each make another row until eventually 5 rows have been made.   The quilt owner will receive all her rows at the Leavenworth retreat in October 2012 and can then assemble them into a complete quilt.

PARTICIPATION:

As with any round robin or swap a row quilt involves a firm commitment for the duration of the swap. If you cannot follow the rules or meet the deadlines, then it is best to decline joining in. The key to a successful robin or swap of any type is commitment and communication. If you get stumped for ideas on your row ask other members of the group for ideas.

THEME:

Each quilt owner will decide on a theme for their quilt (ex: all blue, stars, gardening, Christmas, etc) and/or the colors you wish to use. The other robin members will decide on the specific blocks to use in their rounds. For the most part the quilt owner will not know what has been made until the retreat.

FABRICS:

You will make your first row of blocks using your colors and/or theme fabric. You can suggest fabrics for rows in your quilt but it is left to each individual in the group to use or not use them.You can always tie your rows together with sashing and/or borders when it returns home. Please remember to use 100% quality cotton fabric.  If you would like fabric for your quilt to be prewashed, you must let the group members know in advance.

ROWS:

Completed rows should finish to 42 inches, but each member has the option of determining the block size to meet that width requirement. As Gini said, "that would be 7- 6 inch blocks or 6- seven inch blocks, or if you made 5 - 8 inch blocks, you would need to add a filler to either side. If you wanted to applique, you could get a  42.5 inch run without piecing." It is recommended that your row height be no less than 6" finished (6.5” unfinished) – you are of course expected to use your best discretion in deciding the appropriate height for your addition. As Marge P said, "A variety of heights of the rows adds extra pazazz to the quilts!" Take a photo of your completed row and email it to everyone in your assigned group except the quilt owner. Once the owner receives the completed rows at the retreat, she can configure the quilt to her liking as well as adding any additional sashing rows or borders.

LABEL YOUR ROW:

When you complete your row, please sign it with your full name, city, and state.

BLOCK PATTERN & SIZE:

Each robin member will decide which block pattern would be best for the quilt as it comes to them. All blocks in a row do not have to be the same pattern or even the same size. Blocks don’t have to be square. The key here is to be creative, use sashing strips between blocks or add borders to your blocks or sections to get the width/length you need for the row.

Maintain the theme of the quilt using your own fabric. Traditional piecing, paper piecing, or finished appliqué will all work as long as the blocks compliment the theme and meets the width requirement of the quilt.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 302
Points 7,045
lcqultr46 replied on Thu, Mar 29 2012 11:33 AM

Thanks so much for getting me in, Nancy, chart looks very professional. I guess I'll have to work extra hard on your row in August for making you go to a vertical format..

JudyEE

JudyEE at the base of Mt. Rainier

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,339
Points 414,684
gini replied on Thu, Mar 29 2012 12:16 PM

nancy, you've done a stupendous job.  thanks

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,720
Nana replied on Thu, Mar 29 2012 12:35 PM

Elizabeth

I think if you can give us a detailed description of what you plan on doing for your row as well as the colors you will be using we can manage.   And maybe you could take a pic of some of the fabrics that you plan on using for your row.   This will help give the people that are doing your rows a better idea of what to do for you.   I hope your back surgery goes well.  My DH has had back surgery twice now and after a couple of days he was climbing the walls out of boredom.   So you may find that even though they won't let you work that you can do a little sewing here and there.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,195
Points 24,070
Elizabeth replied on Thu, Mar 29 2012 1:23 PM

OK Nana I will do it.  I qwill plan it out today and maybe be able to get a couple of blocks sone

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,422
Points 23,795
Maggie replied on Thu, Mar 29 2012 3:39 PM

Not sure how it happened, but I'll put on my big girl panties and be "in" too.   LOL

• Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,720
Nana replied on Thu, Mar 29 2012 3:46 PM

Maggie

I knew you wanted to do this all along....ROFLOL

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,339
Points 414,684
gini replied on Thu, Mar 29 2012 3:51 PM

Maggie:

Not sure how it happened, but I'll put on my big girl panties and be "in" too.   LOL

Welcome to the row quilters.  :  )

gini in north idaho

Page 6 of 18 (262 items) «Prev45678Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use