2012 Pacific Northwest Quilt Retreat, Leavenworth, WA Sept 30-October 5.

rated by 0 users
This post has 866 Replies | 29 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Wed, Mar 21 2012 8:38 PM

Thanks for being the wagon master again, Patti!  Yes, our plans are still to stay offsite.  I'll have my own machine with me this time, and I'm looking forward to sewing away with my girlfriends!!!  

Tell me more about how the row quilt works.  Do we make a row for every participant??? 

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,429
Points 416,079
gini replied on Wed, Mar 21 2012 8:52 PM

Yes, it's my recipe, and yummy.  Do you want fresh salsa, too.  It' more like pico de gallo! And I can do that.  It is one of my favorite foods.

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,429
Points 416,079
gini replied on Wed, Mar 21 2012 8:53 PM

I can make it in VB, too if Marlene wants it to go with her meal.  It's quick and easy.

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,771
Points 50,500
mars92 replied on Wed, Mar 21 2012 9:54 PM

gini:
I can make it in VB, too if Marlene wants it to go with her meal.  It's quick and easy.

Yes, We want it! Yummy!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,721
Points 436,920
Nana replied on Wed, Mar 21 2012 10:42 PM

Gini

I love fresh pico...I like to make it here too but there is no way I could transport a jar across the country.   Now I guess I could snack on it along the way....LOL>    It is one of my favorite snack foods along with queso....yummy.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Wed, Mar 21 2012 11:15 PM

Gini had mentioned row quilts as an option.

Gini, can you explain it better to us.  It's something I have never done before but would like to do.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,429
Points 416,079
gini replied on Thu, Mar 22 2012 12:14 AM

Each person picks a theme,   Like north woods or gardens or the letter "b".    You make a row that represents that theme, and everyone  participating makes a row on that theme.   This is usually done as a round quilt, you would have to allow a month per row. It's nearly april, I don't  know if there's enough time.  Maybe if there were only four participants.   We would have to make our first row and have it finished by the end of April,so the others could see how we represented our theme.

If you could get it organized in the next couple of weeks it is doable,  but then would you want to do the blocks, too?   That's a lot of prep for the retreat.

We wouldn't have to send the rows, we could show everyone but the recipient the rows we have done to help make go together better.   So I would show everyone the row I did for patti,except patti. And patti would show everyone the row meant for me except me.  And so on.

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Thu, Mar 22 2012 5:56 AM

So far we have for row quilts: Gini, Nana, Donna B, and me.  MnNancy, sounds like you are thinking about it.  Want to join us?

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Thu, Mar 22 2012 6:06 AM

I just googled  "row quilt images."  Wow, I am definitely in.  As soon as we have 5, we can get started.  And maybe add one other person to make it 6, or if enough others want to do this, another group can be started.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Thu, Mar 22 2012 6:41 AM

Just re-read Gini's comments.  I think we should limit it to 5.  MnNancy if you want to join, you are in.  Otherwise we might close it at 4. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,480
Jacy replied on Thu, Mar 22 2012 9:12 AM

I'm interested in the row quilt too.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Thu, Mar 22 2012 9:53 AM

Okay.  So it is Nana, Gini, Donna B. Jacy and Patti.  And Nancy, because you voiced an interest you could get in this first group.  But otherwise this group is closed.  Everyone in the row quilt group OK with this? 

Gini, can we all do different themes?  Do we each make our own row first, so the others can see what they are adding to?  Do we want a maximum width and length?

I kept thinking last night what I would want for a theme and I decided I would want a pond theme.  Water, ducks, reeds, turtles, frogs, pollywogs, water lilies, trees, sky, etc.  And from what I have seen, I really like the quilts that have various rows with a repeated block, that may not be theme specific but work well with the colors. 

I also thought spring would be nice, or a Christmas theme, or just stars. 

Anyway.  Got to get dressed.  Going out with DH today on his job.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,429
Points 416,079
gini replied on Thu, Mar 22 2012 10:57 AM

We can each do our own theme.  I thought with. The one I did in guild, that width of fabric was a good length.   That way, if we wanted to to do a row without piecing, you could do it on one strip.  It also keeps it to a manageable size.   If we want our quilts bigger, we can always piece or appliqué another row and border for our own quilts to enlarge it.  That would make the rows about 40 inches wide.

And, yes, I think we need to make our first row and show them to everyone.   I think we should share with everyone but the owner of the quilt the rows we've done on their quilt to keep the continuity and not have a background color that is too "off", for instance, or so we don't repeat the same block.  You can specify background colors,  you could even send your background to everyone.

These usually work like a round robin, but I don't think we have time to send them to each other.    You make your row and the next month everyone swaps, you make a row for the new quilt you're given, and keep swapping every month until everyone has made a row for each quilt.   everyone gets to see the progress of the rows as they go.

I think this will work fine if we share the rows as we go.

The pond is a great theme.   One person picked birthday party in our group.  After 4 rows it was hard to think of a new 

Pattern to make.

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Thu, Mar 22 2012 12:29 PM

Ooops, I did reply in the other thread that I'd like to try it, but if six makes it too difficult to get done by October, then I'll bow out.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,429
Points 416,079
gini replied on Thu, Mar 22 2012 12:43 PM

nancy, i think we can sqeeze you in if we get started and have our themes within a few days, and enough of a start that we can show  everyone what our plan is. nana, could you start a new thread in this group  1212, leavenwoth retreat row quilt, or something like that.   then we'll have a dedicated thread to post on.

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 35
Page 9 of 58 (867 items) «Prev7891011Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use