2012 Pacific Northwest Quilt Retreat, Leavenworth, WA Sept 30-October 5.

rated by 0 users
This post has 866 Replies | 29 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,398
Points 119,581
Patti replied on Tue, Feb 7 2012 11:49 PM

Judy, that will work fine if you don't need the room.  We had a couple people that hadn't been assigned to rooms yet.  We should have better parking this year, as we will have all the spaces but one, for one night. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,398
Points 119,581
Patti replied on Tue, Feb 7 2012 11:57 PM

Thanks Lisa, I (and DH) will appreciate the help.  I plan on making at least one quilt for donation.   Not sure if I would want a kit or not, but others may be interested.  The only thing I finished last year was the primie quilt top.  My ideas were too grandiose and this year I don't want to bog myself down with too many big objectives.  Small is better for the retreat. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Wed, Feb 8 2012 12:24 AM

Kris

It takes about the same.  I am pretty sure that I would have to leave on Thurs.  But that is ok with me....I can take lots of handwork to do as well as my kindle to read.  And I know that the scenery will be great.  Never seen that part of the country before.   I also found the seats on the train to be very comfortable with lots of leg room.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,714
Points 364,457
Kris replied on Wed, Feb 8 2012 1:34 AM

Thanks Nana. I'll think on it some more. It is cheaper than air fare but the baggage restrictions from Maine are complicated. Did you get a sleeper car las time?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Wed, Feb 8 2012 8:03 AM

Kris

I only rode on the train from Everett where Joyce lived.    I have looked at the sleeper car for the portion from Chicago to Leavenworth but I haven't made up my mind.  It is kind of pricey.    Would you be changing trains in Chicago?    If so we could maybe ride together from Chicago to Leavenworth.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Wed, Feb 8 2012 8:04 AM

Kris

What kind of baggage restrictions do they have in Maine?

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,060
Jacy replied on Wed, Feb 8 2012 10:27 AM

Judy T-Bellingham:
Lisa. Are flannel quilts OK for the babies?

Judy, I would think flannel would be OK, it's so soft for babies. I've made 2 quilts to bring to Lisa at the retreat and I put flannel on the back.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,060
Jacy replied on Wed, Feb 8 2012 10:32 AM

Lisa:
Yes I am still making quilts for the NIC U we are making them up to 36" now also.

So does this mean we should make some 24x24 and some 36x36. Or  any size from 24 to 36"

• Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,422
Points 23,795
Maggie replied on Wed, Feb 8 2012 10:49 AM

I've been looking at the train schedules this morning --  I would leave from Maricopa, AZ late Thurs night to L.A. - would spend Saturday night in Seattle and arrive in Wenatchee Sunday night.   Now this is the strange part -- going home it would take from October 5 to October 10 and would require a hotels for 3 nights because the return connections are so bad. 

If I take the Empire Builder Train from Leavenworth to Chicago, spend one night in Chicago and take the train back to Arizona from there, I would get home October 8/9 and get to see a whole lot more scenery and save some money.  

I agree with Nana, my laptop, my iPod, some handwork, my Fons & Porter DVD's and some peanut butter sammies, I'm all set.  Most of the RR cars have AC outlets at the seats so you can charge phones, computers, and ipods as you go.

Anyone traveling by train, if you take your sewing machine, take it as a carry on.   When I went to Houston I made the mistake of checking it and got to watch it sailing through the air as they threw it onto the cart from the train on arrival.   Luckily I had it padded but on the way home I definitely carried it to the baggage storage area in my RR car instead.  

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Wed, Feb 8 2012 10:53 AM

Maggie

If we both take the train and you go back thru Chicago we can ride together.   I haven't decided yet if I am going to take my machine or not.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,422
Points 23,795
Maggie replied on Wed, Feb 8 2012 11:19 AM

Nana, that would be fun.   I haven't decided  about my machine for sure yet either.   I really want to take advantage of Gini's and Kris's applique knowledge and want to try art quilts but I'm not sure my hands will cooperate for that long.      If I don't take my machine I may be able to take more than one change of clothes for the 2 weeks I'll be gone LOL  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Wed, Feb 8 2012 11:32 AM

Maggie

The ladies that drive to retreat are really good about bringing loaner machines for those of us that travel by plane or train.  It sure did help alot last year when I came to Seattle by plane.   No way was I trying to bring a machine on a plane.....

Vinton, Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,422
Points 23,795
Maggie replied on Wed, Feb 8 2012 11:42 AM

You all are so generous.    It would make life a whole lot easier to leave Lily at home and it might be fun to test drive other machines.....okay, I'm talking myself into leaving her.    This is so exciting!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 510
Points 6,035
Lisa replied on Wed, Feb 8 2012 12:07 PM

Hi Judy   Yes flannel is ok and it is very nice to work with also. Thanks for asking. Im excited to see everyone again I had such fun last year.             Lisa

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 510
Points 6,035
Lisa replied on Wed, Feb 8 2012 12:21 PM

Hi Patti     We will be glad to help out. I understand the kit thing but if anyone would like them they can just let me know and I will make some up to bring. Im not sure what I want to do this year at retreat yet except the block exchange and the round robin or row quilt for sure. But you are right I did not get much done either so I think I like small also. Cant wait to see everyone again I had so much fun last year.              Lisa

Page 6 of 58 (867 items) «Prev45678Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use