2012 Pacific Northwest Quilt Retreat, Leavenworth, WA Sept 30-October 5.

rated by 0 users
This post has 866 Replies | 29 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,836
Points 366,177
Kris replied on Mon, Jan 23 2012 1:09 PM

Judy T-Bellingham:
Whatever you do Kris, your presence, expertise and, oh yes, camera, is all we require.

Thanks Judy.

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,399
Points 119,586
Patti replied on Tue, Jan 24 2012 7:59 PM

yes, getting together is the best part.  Makes me smile just thinking about it.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Tue, Jan 24 2012 10:54 PM

gini:
have you been through glacier?  It's one of my favorites of all the national parks.

Yes, we love Glacier and have stayed at two of the lodges there.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Tue, Jan 24 2012 10:58 PM

Patti:
The exchange blocks are definitely voluntary.   I still haven't finished the top from last years quilts.

I do have to wonder how many years we'll want to do these block exchanges as part of the retreats.  How many of these quilts does a person need around the house?  You can't give them away with everyone's names written all over them.  I'm sounding like a curmudgeon, aren't I?  I do have a woodsy block in mind for this year, but like Kris, I might bow out of a third year exchange.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,678
Points 120,545

MNnancy:

Patti:
The exchange blocks are definitely voluntary.   I still haven't finished the top from last years quilts.

I do have to wonder how many years we'll want to do these block exchanges as part of the retreats.  How many of these quilts does a person need around the house?  

Good morning fellow retreaters

I love the Northwoods theme and I guess my gallery reflects that. I've made a couple quilts with mountains, deer, fish. cabin, etc. 

But, like Nancy, I also am not sure how many of these retreat quilts I need. I still haven't quilted last year's quilt. Although I plan to, I'm not sure what I'll do with it as I made it so HUGE.

I kind of hate to jump off the band wagon but I'm going to opt out of the blocks. Instead I'm going to make gifts to bring like several people did last year. That was fun. I think I even know what I'm going to do.

I'm thinking of using the time at retreat to piece small quilts for our local nursing homes and/or hospice house. Or for friends in need. At my age my friends are getting needier and needier.

I also want to learn hand applique this year. For sure. And Stack and Wack if possible.

But you know what I want the most? To get together with everyone again and to meet the new ones that will be coming. I am so very EXCITED!  It can't come fast enough.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,399
Points 119,586
Patti replied on Fri, Jan 27 2012 6:27 AM

Nancy and Judy, what you say is very true.  I plan to bring a variety of blocks, perhaps enough to make a twin quilt, then what I don't swap, I'll just use myself.  It could be kind of like a cookie exchange, bring as many as you want to swap. 

We could all be doing a variety of things.   Swapping blocks, charity quilts, maybe a round robin for those interested.  I have several fabrics I have picked out that I think would be great for stack and whacks.  But I have yet to do one.  I also have some gift items I started for last year and didn't finish. Maybe this year.

I think we might want to limit the "door prizes" this year.  We might want to set up a rummage table for those things people bring that they don't want or need anymore, such a magazines, books, etc.  Maybe even a box for scraps that anyone can use to make scrap quilts,  use for applique, etc.  

Any other ideas?

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Fri, Jan 27 2012 7:40 AM

Judy

I agree....  just getting together with everyone again will be so awesome.  I love all of you and am so anxious to see everyone again.   I think it is great that you want to work on smaller charity quilts.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,399
Points 119,586
Patti replied on Fri, Jan 27 2012 9:46 AM

I wonder if Lisa is still collecting quilts for premies.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Fri, Jan 27 2012 3:28 PM

Patti

Any hospital that has a neonatal intensive care can use quilts.  They use the regular baby size quilts to cover the isolettes to keep light out and to help deaden the sound.  I know that the hospital here could always use more quilts.   They also liked receiving flannel receiving blanket style covers to swaddle the babies in.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,399
Points 119,586
Patti replied on Tue, Feb 7 2012 9:07 AM

So, here is the thoughts for this fall's retreat.

Block swap:  Instead of a block exchange where everyone is expected to bring a block to exchange with everyone else, this will be more like a cookie exchange.  Bring as many blocks as you want to swap.  Theme will be Northwoods, sizes finished 6x6, 6x12 or 12x12.  I plan on bringing a variety.   I got bored last year making the same leaf over and over.  I still want to get everyone's signature however.  So I might have a label for myself for everyone to sign. Perhaps we can get a group picture at the beginning and have it printed, to be printed then or later onto fabric. 

Rummage table: we had so many books, patterns, magazines last year that people did not want any more and were offering to everyone.  We put many of them in for door prizes, but we just had too many and it took too much time giving them out.  So for those items we will have a table that everyone can glean from during the retreat.  Who knows, you might find a pattern you want to use while you are there.

Door prizes: anyone can bring a door prize, but no one donate more than one prize.  Preferably this will be some hand made item such as a bag, pillow, or those lovely pincushion/thread catcher bags for putting by the sewing machine.  We could have a gift certificate for the quilt store, or some other cool items like an ott light.  Or a bag of really nifty tools such as needle threader, rulers, marking pens, cutters, etc. 

Gifts for everyone.  Several people brought gifts to give everyone last year, like the beautiful flower pincushions, needle books, kits for making hot pads or cupcake pincushions.  those little bags of m&ms, with the saying on them were cute too.  Someone also brought fat quarters for everyone as well.  Everyone appreciated these and enjoyed them.

Scrap bin:  We will have a scrap bin.  Possibly separated into light, medium and dark, that anyone can take from to use in a quilt, or applique.  So, if you have scraps to give away, bring some. ( but not all that you have, or we will have no space!)  Perhaps to go with this we can have a contest for the best baby or lap quilt or child's quilt to donate to some charity made from the scraps. 

Round robins: anyone interested in doing this?  Let me know and we can see if we have enough people interested to have a group or two. 

Oh, and last year did take a lot of work, and you all gave me so many wonderful things to thank me.  I am still discovering how cool some of those gifts are, and it will take me a long time to get around to using them all.  I will probably wear out the sweatshirt before I use everything I was given.  This year, it is not nearly as much work.  So please, no special gifts for me.

Food:  Gini, if Sam wants to make that soup for us again, go ahead, that was wonderful.  And those cheese cakes.  I am hoping, since we will be the only guests at the lodge, except for one night, that we can use the kitchen, and have more space for the goodies.  I will bring fruit again, but perhaps not so much.

I am getting so excited already!  I could use someone to help with getting everyone their keys the first day, as everyone arrives.  It will be DH's and my anniversary.  He will be with me that first night, so you all will get to meet him.  He doesn't know it yet, but for an anniversary gift, I am going to ask him to sing us a song or two.   Such a beautiful tenor voice.  He has been asked back this year to be the quest tenor at the Bach fest in Chelan.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Tue, Feb 7 2012 12:07 PM

Patti

All your suggestions sound really awesome.  You have done lots of planning GF.  Some great ideas.    I am looking at coming to the retreat via Amtrak.  If I do it will arrive at about 6 am Friday morning.  I will be more than happy to help with keys if I arrive that early....LOL>   And NO  I am not expecting any of you to be at the station that early.

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 510
Points 6,035
Lisa replied on Tue, Feb 7 2012 12:28 PM

Hi Patti      Sorry I did not get right back with you the other day just so much going on right now. My mom is having surgery on the 16th of Feb and then again in the first week or 2 in March we hope things will jbe well by April so that I can Have another back surgery again this time they will remove disks and replace them and put more screws and longer rods in who knows how this will go but I have no choise things just keep getting worse. I will still be at the retreat being with friends that love the same things that you do make things better all around. Yes I am still making quilts for the NIC U we are making them up to 36" now also. Even bigger babies have delicate problems. If people would like to still make quilts and you let me know I will bring more fabric to put out for this project and maybe have time to cut out some kits also. I am looking forward to this retreat and seeing everyone again. I like your block swap idea and the sizes I would still like to swap with everyone so I will make more then enough to do that with. Do you have colors for backgrounds or is it up to the maker of the blocks? I would also like to do the round robin would we each make our own center block and then go from there? And last in your letter I would love to help you out and hand out keys and rooms for you the first day. I like being there early like I was last year so please count on me to do this for you. Well I need to get going and finish some things up. Have a wonderful day and if I can be of any help please let me know.             Lisa

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,418
Points 415,784
gini replied on Tue, Feb 7 2012 2:07 PM

Great ideas patti,  instead of doing round quilts, you might want to consider row quilts.   Each person picks a theme, then the other participants contribute a row.  I"ll get pictures at our next guild meeting.  Our themes were, how does your garden grow, northwoods, snowball express,  and "B".   Some of the rows or partial rows could be done before we get there.   With a round quilt, with 6 participants, all we would be doing is making rows.   I"ll bring sam's soup and cheesecake. I just need to know, one cake or two?

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Tue, Feb 7 2012 2:41 PM

Gini

The question is 2 or 3  ROFLOL>.....

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,399
Points 119,586
Patti replied on Tue, Feb 7 2012 6:36 PM

Nana:
If I do it will arrive at about 6 am Friday morning.

Friday morning? I think we start on a Sunday, then leave on a Friday.  No problem picking you up or dropping you off.  we'll find a way.  But you are welcome to come see my home if you want to come early.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Page 4 of 58 (867 items) «Prev23456Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use