2012 Pacific Northwest Quilt Retreat, Leavenworth, WA Sept 30-October 5.

rated by 0 users
This post has 866 Replies | 29 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 788
Points 12,685

Maggie,

Lots of people attending the retreat will have cars.   Everyone is very helpful and you won't have to worry about things being within walking distance.   You will have a ride.

Mrs. Anderson's lodge is co-located with the local quilt shop.  So, anything that you need will be available there too. 

Then, like Gini says, we all bring too much "stuff" so I'm sure there will be all kinds of basic supplies there. 

Someone needs to bring an extra sewing machine for you though. 

You had to have Patti's mailing address to send your check.  I'm sure if you wanted to send a USPS mailer to her, she'd bring it to the retreat for you.    I'd do it myself for you, but I still have housing issues that are unresolved and totally frustrating so my attendance at the retreat is still tentative.    If I'm moving then I won't be able to make it.  If not, I'll come.  I tried attending last year in the middle of a move and they delivered our household goods while I was gone -- and broke up my big Koala Outback Plus sewing cabinet.  Since it was part of a matched set it was quite a shock.  It cannot be repaired since they ripped the hinge right out of the main table and broke a piece off the support strut for the outback table.  They also tried to pry off the casters that I told them could not be removed and had to be wrapped in bubble wrap.  Basically, they took it out of the house and then the loader didn't know it was waiting for additional packing and threw it upside down on top of the load.  So, all the leaves flapped and wrenched without padding or blankets for a thousand miles.  This -- after I told them and told them to be careful!  They couldn't get me a new one because the styles changed and this one isn't manufactured any more.  So, this time, if I'm moving, I'm staying home.  Anyway, I digress.  Since I'm a couple of hundred miles away, if I don't make it that would be a problem for you if you mailed a box for me to bring.  So, ask Patti if she would bring a box for you and be sure to mail it in plenty of time since she lives in a rural area and mail takes an extra day or two.

Looking forward to seeing everyone and meeting you and Elizabeth.

Q

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,383
Points 360,857
Kris replied on Thu, Aug 9 2012 8:40 PM

Quiltless:
Although the TSA rules state you can take a scissors in your carry-on with a blade less than 4 inches in length, it doesn't always work that way.

I wish things were more standardised at airports. What they will and will not take seems to depend on the airport. Everything made it to Wenatchee last year but on the way back they took my lotion. No one touched my sewing supplies at any time. I only had carry on luggage.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 788
Points 12,685

Kris,

Don't you know it! 

We bought a vacation home a couple of years before the 911 tragedy and airport security issues.  After TSA was "invented" and getting through airport security was a big unknown experience, I decided to simplify things by leaving a set of personal care items and clothing at the vacation home.  That way, the only thing I had to take with me was my purse.  How easy is that?  NOT!  Because I had "no baggage" I was a setting off all kinds of triggers and I kept being pulled out of line for pat-downs and questioning.  So, it is better to carry at least some luggage. 

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,422
Points 23,795
Maggie replied on Thu, Aug 9 2012 10:20 PM

I like taking everything but the kitchen sink!   Guess thats why I like drving or taking the train -- no restrictions.  i'll take a carryon wheel bag and a backpack as my personal bag.  not sure if I'll bring the laptop.  Right now I'm thinking no, but then my smart phone has lost its IQ and is a candidate for the short bus.   I replaced this lemon 2 times in the warranty period and now they said it has to be replaced by insurance -- $130 deductible  (more than I paid for the darn phone)   I had a My Touch 3g for 2 years and no problems, the 4g has been nothing but problems.   Sigh.   I'm through ranting.    Anyway, I have one more year on contract and then bye bye Tmobile, Hello Verizon.  

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,195
Points 24,070
Elizabeth replied on Fri, Aug 10 2012 11:26 AM

My Horse just sold, so now that I have some cash I think I am going to take the train. Train is 31 hours but sounds like it could be fun.  I realy want to bring my machine and just do not trust that it would make it through the airlines. Going to call AAA and see if they can help with res.  I am so excited just can't wait to meet all of you

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

• Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 788
Points 12,685
Quiltless replied on Fri, Aug 10 2012 11:39 AM

Elizabeth,

Whether you drive or take the train, the scenery along the west coast  is beautiful by train.  You will probably catch a lot of fall colors.  Enjoy!

• Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 788
Points 12,685
Quiltless replied on Fri, Aug 10 2012 11:41 AM

Maggie,

Mrs. Anderson's lodge does have a pretty decent wi-fi connection and the password is posted on the back of the room doors.  Free.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Fri, Aug 10 2012 2:53 PM

Elizabeth:
now that I have some cash I think I am going to take the train. Train is 31 hours but sounds like it could be fun.

Hi Elizabeth...just saw you are now thinking of taking the train.  To Seattle and then on to Leavenworth?

Just a FYI,  the main train station in Seattle is in the south part of the downtown area...and not a place for a woman to be walking alone - especially at night.  The nearest hotels are expensive, most are beyond reasonable walking distance, and with a sewing machine plus luggage you will need a taxi (also not cheap in DT Seattle).   Unfortunately, it is not a user friendly situation unless you have someone meeting you.  I don't know the particulars, but the train to Wenatchee (via Leavenworth) leaves Seattle very early in the morning.   A few attendees tried the Seattle connection last year and decided the flight to Spokane option was much easier. 

Be sure you check this  out carefully before you make a commitment.  I would be happy to help, but I now live northeast of Leavenworth on the east side of the Cascades.

Hopefully,  those that tried it last year can give you their personal advise or someone has a better solution for you. 

Winthrop, WA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,195
Points 24,070
Elizabeth replied on Fri, Aug 10 2012 5:00 PM

thanks for the info Donna.  My son lives in Sultan so he will be picking me up and also bringing me to Leavenworth.  He only works until 9:30a. on Friday (he starts at 5am) so I am not to worried.  Still have to get together with my travel  agent to see if its doable.

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Fri, Aug 10 2012 10:42 PM

Elizabeth:
My son lives in Sultan so he will be picking me up and also bringing me to Leavenworth.
"

Oh Elizabeth, that is great!  In that case it would definitely be a good option for you.  I just didn't want you thinking the location and connections would be easy there.  I have heard lots of horror stories of people coming into Seattle on the train and being stranded.   I am so looking forward to meeting you and having you join us in Leavenworth.  You will have such a great time!!!

Winthrop, WA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,422
Points 23,795
Maggie replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 1:34 AM

Elizabeth, if you take your machine on Amtrak, make sure you carry it on and not check it.  You can store it in the baggage area of your passenger car and it should be safe.   when I took mne to Houston I watched as they tossed the bags from the train onto a large cart.  My machine was in one of those cases with wheels and it almost went over the side.  

I love Amtrak -- spend most of my time in the observation car taking pictures.

Can hardly wait to meet you.  I think you and I are the only new kids on the block!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 10:02 AM

Maggie, I wondered about a sewing machine on the train.  That baggage area in the passenger car is on the lower level, and when I ride, I sit, eat, and sleep in the upper level.  No one checks the baggage tags as you depart the train, so I would worry that anyone could grab my sewing machine as they left.  If I brought my machine on board, I think I'd feel limited to sitting in the lower level near it.  Do you have a better feeling about train passengers?  Maybe I'm too cynical.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,422
Points 23,795
Maggie replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 10:37 AM

MNnancy:

Maggie, I wondered about a sewing machine on the train.  That baggage area in the passenger car is on the lower level, and when I ride, I sit, eat, and sleep in the upper level.  No one checks the baggage tags as you depart the train, so I would worry that anyone could grab my sewing machine as they left.  If I brought my machine on board, I think I'd feel limited to sitting in the lower level near it.  Do you have a better feeling about train passengers?  Maybe I'm too cynical.

Its possible but my machine was in a plain black roller bag so it wasn't obvious.  The good thing is that the lower level passengers  sit facing the luggage area (the door is half glass) so they  would see anyone opening or rifling through the bags.   Hopefully the thieves would think its just clothes, etc inside.  The other option is to take it up to your seat and put it in front of you -- not much leg room left.    You arenw't too cynical - sometimes the train passengers are a little scarey, especially on the  weekends.   I do always keep my purse, camera, and laptop with me wherever I go on the train.    Amtrak told me they would not be responsible for any damage to the machine if I checked it.  

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,195
Points 24,070
Elizabeth replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 10:39 AM

If I take the train I am going to get a room estate so I can have my luggage with me.  With my bad leg I could not sit up for all that time or I would be cripplrd

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,195
Points 24,070
Elizabeth replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 11:18 AM

OMG that is roomette! my ipad auto corrected.  Although at the prices room estate is good to :)

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

• Post Points: 35
Page 29 of 58 (867 items) «Prev2728293031Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use