2012 Pacific Northwest Quilt Retreat, Leavenworth, WA Sept 30-October 5.

rated by 0 users
This post has 866 Replies | 29 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Sun, Jun 3 2012 6:26 PM

Hi Cathy.  You will be number 3 on the waiting list, but it may take more than a couple people to drop out before you get a chance.  Last we it was very crowded so after the 2 on the waiting list before you have had a chance, we decided to let the total drop down to 18 instead of 20. 

Here is some of the information about what we are doing:

Plans for the retreat:

Block swap:  Instead of a block exchange where everyone is expected to bring a block to exchange with everyone else, this will be more like a cookie exchange.  Bring as many blocks as you want to swap.  Theme will be Northwoods, sizes finished 6x6, 6x12 or 12x12.  I plan on bringing a variety.   I got bored last year making the same leaf over and over.  I still want to get everyone's signature however.  So I might have a label for myself for everyone to sign. Perhaps we can get a group picture at the beginning and have it printed, to be printed then or later onto fabric. 

Rummage table: we had so many books, patterns, magazines last year that people did not want any more and were offering to everyone.  We put many of them in for door prizes, but we just had too many and it took too much time giving them out.  So for those items we will have a table that everyone can glean from during the retreat.  Who knows, you might find a pattern you want to use while you are there.

Door prizes: anyone can bring a door prize, but no one donate more than one prize.  Preferably this will be some hand made item such as a bag, pillow, or those lovely pincushion/thread catcher bags for putting by the sewing machine.  We could have a gift certificate for the quilt store, or some other cool items like an ott light.  Or a bag of really nifty tools such as needle threader, rulers, marking pens, cutters, etc. 

Gifts for everyone.  Several people brought gifts to give everyone last year, like the beautiful flower pincushions, needle books, kits for making hot pads or cupcake pincushions.  those little bags of m&ms, with the saying on them were cute too.  Someone also brought fat quarters for everyone as well.  Everyone appreciated these and enjoyed them.

Scrap bin:  We will have a scrap bin.  Possibly separated into light, medium and dark, that anyone can take from to use in a quilt, or applique.  So, if you have scraps to give away, bring some. ( but not all that you have, or we will have no space!)  Perhaps to go with this we can have a contest for the best baby or lap quilt or child's quilt to donate to some charity made from the scraps. 

Round robins or row quilts?  anyone interested in doing this?  Let me know and we can see if we have enough people interested to have a group or two. I like Gini's idea of having a row quilt as the rows can be done ahead of time.  If doing a row quilt, does anyone want to have a theme of fabric color for their quilt, so that those making a rows ahead of the retreat can come with one made?  Would also need to decide on length.

Oh, and last year did take a lot of work, and you all gave me so many wonderful things to thank me.  I am still discovering how cool some of those gifts are, and it will take me a long time to get around to using them all.  I will probably wear out the sweatshirt before I use everything I was given.  This year, it is not nearly as much work.  So please, no special gifts for me.

Food:  Gini, if Sam wants to make that soup for us again, go ahead, that was wonderful.  And those cheese cakes.  I am hoping, since we will be the only guests at the lodge, except for one night, that we can use the kitchen, and have more space for the goodies.  I will bring fruit again, but perhaps not so much.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Sun, Jun 3 2012 6:29 PM

Here is the basic information about the retreat itself.

This is a beautiful location, East side of the Cascades, in a fun theme town.  To learn more about Leavenworth go to leavenworth.org,  For information about Mrs Andersons' Lodging House where the retreat is held, go to quiltersheaven.com. 

And it is quilter's heaven with a quilt store on the premises.  (And we get a reduction on the fabric!)

Our group has reserved all the rooms for the retreat.  (except for one room that was already reserved for one night.)  If you are interested, let me know.  I am the "wagon master" as the lodge prefers to deal with one person when it comes to payment, and renting rooms.  As many who attended the 2011 retreat are returning, space is limited.  We would prefer to keep it at 18, but 20 is the absolute max.  A waiting list has been started, but keep in mind, it is a year away and cancellations happen.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 297
Points 4,555

Thanks, Patti, for the recap and update.  I am so eager to start making blocks, and like you, I plan to make a variety.

I am making two baby quilts for family members this year.  They are so much fun to make.

Have a super summer everyone.  Can't wait to see you all again, and love checking up on the site to see the quilts you all have made. 

I have a special tshirt to wear to the retreat this year.  I think it is very appropriate for me :-)

Your friend,

Deb from Mall of America Land

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,180
Nana replied on Sun, Jun 3 2012 10:36 PM

Deb

Does it say "I am not sewing I am just watching".......ROFLOL.   Just had to give you a hard time.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,511
Points 417,549
gini replied on Sun, Jun 3 2012 11:06 PM

maybe it's a shirt without arms to give her a good excuse to watch everyone without having to sew.    :  ) 

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,180
Nana replied on Mon, Jun 4 2012 10:18 AM

Gini

I hadn't thought of that but you may be right....   :)  Lol

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 297
Points 4,555

Gini and Nana,

LOL! You two have no idea how close you are to the truth :-) Now you have to wait until Sept to see, he he.

Deb from Mall of America

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,842
Points 123,720

MNgutsygal :

Gini and Nana,

LOL! You two have no idea how close you are to the truth :-) Now you have to wait until Sept to see, he he.

Deb from Mall of America

Deb. I hope I get to see you shirt. I am so curious!  Right now it's up in the air if I'll be going this year. Hopefully I'll know before the deadline. 

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,180
Nana replied on Tue, Jun 5 2012 3:12 PM

Judy

This isn't good news.  You really need to be there.  I will miss you terribly.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,842
Points 123,720

Nana:

Judy

This isn't good news.  You really need to be there.  I will miss you terribly.

You're sweet. But you know what they say, Best laid plans of mice and men.....

I'll have to make the decision soon. Hope to have more info by the end of this month.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Tue, Jun 5 2012 8:17 PM

Judy, I do hope you will come.  We will really miss you if you don't.  Keep me posted, as soon as you know for sure, let me know.   Last year you RV'd?  Remember, if DH can't come you can still room with someone.  Since you are not scheduled for a room, you have until July 15 to let me know. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Tue, Jun 5 2012 8:20 PM

Some of you have started paying for your rooms.  Just remember, you need to add $30 to your room price for the sewing room. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,981
Points 368,897
Kris replied on Wed, Jun 6 2012 1:55 AM

Judy,

I hope you make it. I would love to see you again.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,981
Points 368,897
Kris replied on Wed, Jun 6 2012 1:56 AM

Patti:

Some of you have started paying for your rooms.  Just remember, you need to add $30 to your room price for the sewing room. 

Patti,

did you get mine yet? Did I send enough?

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Wed, Jun 6 2012 8:44 AM

Yes Kris.  I did get it.  You actually sent about $10 too much. 

For those of you looking for the cost again, it's on page 19 of this thread.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Page 21 of 58 (867 items) «Prev1920212223Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use